The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
Oldboy, inside man, 25th hour, bamboozled. But i can tell you're on that :mjpls:
I've seen all those movies. Multiple times. Nothing from those movies says that it would have Taken "Ali" from an already well received movie, to a masterpiece.

But i get it, I must be a c00n cuz i don't hang on Spike Lee's nutsack like you.:mjlol:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Honestly mann is a great director but his filmography is hit or miss.

My problem with ali is the same problem i have with miami vice and public enemies. They have such a strange narrative choice and ultimately feel like collections of scenes instead of a fluid movie

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mann is a great director, but Spike would've done a better job with Ali. Shyt, the first half of Ali felt like a remake of Malcolm X anyway lol

Ironic that Mann was brought in to make the movie more commercial. the filmmaking style definitely wasn't commercial and the movie didn't make a whole lot of money anyway. Spike has proven he can make a conventional film with the right budget behind him(Malcolm X, Inside Man)

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Mann is a great director, but Spike would've done a better job with Ali. Shyt, the first half of Ali felt like a remake of Malcolm X anyway lol

Ironic that Mann was brought in to make the movie more commercial. the filmmaking style definitely wasn't commercial and the movie didn't make a whole lot of money anyway. Spike has proven he can make a conventional film with the right budget behind him(Malcolm X, Inside Man)
Yeah thats the funny thing. When I think commercial i dont think of michael mann. He has a very distinct style and its not that. Most of his movies dont set the box office on fire.

Ultimately he was the wrong choice for the role.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

U right. Just looked it up, they didn't surpass the budget :patrice: