The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2000/mar/09/news.spikelee

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0058720/

Will has stated that he picks movies off of a formula that seeks mainstream success, going with someone that wouldn't make a controversial film with racial elements fit that formula.

If Spike said he would add explosions and aliens and shyt he would've been selected :sas2:
didn't will get nominated for an oscar for this shyt too?

i'm thinking will doesn't give any fukks about the movies he makes... just the money and numbers it puts up

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Best biopic acting ever
OP is a troll

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Honestly mann is a great director but his filmography is hit or miss.

My problem with ali is the same problem i have with miami vice and public enemies. They have such a strange narrative choice and ultimately feel like collections of scenes instead of a fluid movie
Public Enemies is great. It's a Western in a gangster setting. The outlaw driven out by technology and civilization. :blessed:

I love that isn't a-b-c in terms of plot of progression. I love movies that wander a bit, and let you just take in the setting, and characters.

U right. Just looked it up, they didn't surpass the budget :patrice:

It was too black for whites, and the movie was killed by the competition. They should have released it in November or October. It had no chance against Lord of The Rings, Ocean's 11, Vanilla Sky, and then A Beautiful Mind.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn't know Spike was slated to be the director:lupe:

...but, I actually liked the bio-pic:yeshrug:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Lemme quote myself

Will really didn't want Spike to direct it but wanted sum garbage cac to do it. And imo it turned out being boring and wack as fukk. I've given Will a side eye ever since for that shyt

truth. I've said this numerous times on this site, but Michael mann was the wrong fukking decision to handle this material...it was a mediocre film because of Mann. Period.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The only controversial shyt Will has done in his career is playing a faq

Think about that. And he doesn't even wanna come close to offending cacs smh

And Will also thought it would be a great idea for M Night Shakalakalaka to direct After Earth :stopitslime: fukk Will

yea. Dude is an amazing actor in terms of skills, but has a very bytchass personality...he's always in movies chasing white women or aliens...that's it. I'm not counting that seven pounds garbage or that fake ass Pursuit of Happyness mess...he has more money than he will ever need, so he should do movies that challenge him as an actor

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
yea. Dude is an amazing actor in terms of skills, but has a very bytchass personality...he's always in movies chasing white women or aliens...that's it. I'm not counting that seven pounds garbage or that fake ass Pursuit of Happyness mess...he has more money than he will ever need, so he should do movies that challenge him as an actor
He needs to just give up on The Last Pharoah and let another actor do that. Knowing Will he would pick a cac to fukk up the direction of the film smh

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

And Will also thought it would be a great idea for M Night Shakalakalaka to direct After Earth :stopitslime: fukk Will
and that was his 1st big serious film role. Which was the only reason he took that risk.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps

Don't get it twisted, After Earth was all Will Smith®:mjpls:. M. Night was just there to be the scapegoat in the possible event of things going wrong commercially and critically.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Honestly I ALWAYS felt this movie was "off"..didnt even seem to capture the time frame right and I dont even think they used alotta music from that time frame either which made it even more dull..