The U.S Justice Department Opens Antitrust Review of Big Tech Companies

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
specifically with Google...

How many people use google exclusively before they look at anything online (compare those with Chrome browsers to safari, edge, firefox etc)?

For those people, 90% of whats clicked is displayed on the 1st page

60% of whats clicked is in the first 3 positions

they have effective control over what billions of people see and interact with daily. If companies want to be visible they must pay to do so (and generally to Google).

Now knowing this....at what point do you call this power a monopoly?
Hmmm... by definition this is a monopoly but the fact that they entered a browser space, dominated by others, with a compelling (free) product has me :patrice:. It's other businesses being hurt by this. I, as a selfish consumer, am benefitting.

Daps
specifically with Google...

How many people use google exclusively before they look at anything online (compare those with Chrome browsers to safari, edge, firefox etc)?

For those people, 90% of whats clicked is displayed on the 1st page

60% of whats clicked is in the first 3 positions

they have effective control over what billions of people see and interact with daily. If companies want to be visible they must pay to do so (and generally to Google).

That sounds more like market capture than a monopoly. At least on the search engine front. How does breaking up google solve that problem? We all stopped using Hotbot, yahoo, lycos, bing because they were trash.

Daps
Disney is another company that need to be broken up.

Explain this. Disney is an entertainment company. A wildly successful one, but an entertainment company nonetheless. How exactly is Disney stifling its competition from also competing, aside from just putting out more widely appealing movies? Disney typically releases way less stuff than other studios and until they bought Fox, they didn’t have that deep of a catalogue.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Explain this. Disney is an entertainment company. A wildly successful one, but an entertainment company nonetheless. How exactly is Disney stifling its competition from also competing, aside from just putting out more widely appealing movies? Disney typically releases way less stuff than other studios and until they bought Fox, they didn’t have that deep of a catalogue.
1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps

Disney bought up:
  • ABC
  • Marvel
  • Lucasfilms (Star Wars)
  • Pixar
  • Fox Movies
I believe they own ILM (or maybe that was part of Lucasfilms) too.

In terms of media company, they could box out the rest of the entertainment industry.

Daps
Disney bought up:
  • ABC
  • Marvel
  • Lucasfilms (Star Wars)
  • Pixar
  • Fox Movies
I believe they own ILM (or maybe that was part of Lucasfilms) too.

In terms of media company, they could box out the rest of the entertainment industry.

How does Disney owning those properties prevent other companies from making media? It’s not like their Comcast or AT&T who own media companies and are cable companies/ ISPs.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Hmmm... by definition this is a monopoly but the fact that they entered a browser space, dominated by others, with a compelling (free) product has me :patrice:. It's other businesses being hurt by this. I, as a selfish consumer, am benefitting.
the problem is it isnt free. You are the unknowing product :ld:

That sounds more like market capture than a monopoly. At least on the search engine front. How does breaking up google solve that problem? We all stopped using Hotbot, yahoo, lycos, bing because they were trash.
depends on how you think they make money (including the "trash" search engines)

Daps
this is higher learning bruh...
if you can't understand simple shyt like this gtfo

Explain it to me. Going strictly off movies, Disney puts out way less content per year than the other studios. Disney’s movies just make a ton more money. How does Disney owning the # of properties it does prevent WB from making more movies? WB/ATT owns Harry Potter, Pokémon, Lord of the Rings, HBO, and DC Comics. Are they not a monopoly based on the sheer amount of stuff they own + actually being ISP? Why is Disney a monopoly and Cable Company/Media Company WB not?

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
the problem is it isnt free. You are the unknowing product :ld:

depends on how you think they make money (including the "trash" search engines)
Ads come with the territory on the internet:yeshrug:

At least we're beyond the days of huge banners and the incessant popups. These cats make their tailored ads so discreet. I don't want to come off like I'm caping for a corporation but I feel they should be able to profit/dominate off their ingenuity.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I just did some reading on this and I can now see the negative impacts of these tech companies stifling their competition, and the argument to break them up :ehh:

But I can't imagine anything being done in a world Walmart has been allowed to go on as it has with the all damage they've done. Ironically, Amazon has grown to one of its biggest competitors and y'all calling for it to be broken up.

Either this ain't all that bad... or, we're really fukked :ld:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Ads come with the territory on the internet:yeshrug:

At least we're beyond the days of huge banners and the incessant popups. These cats make their tailored ads so discreet. I don't want to come off like I'm caping for a corporation but I feel they should be able to profit/dominate off their ingenuity.
The irony of this post on the Coli. :HAHAPHIL:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
The availability of other options, the lack of force, and the absence of consumer harm... make me question a break up.
Explain how consumers are harmed and would benefit more using Safari or Edge search engines?