The UK’s CMA has expressed concern that Microsoft‘s Activision merger could “significantly weaken” PlayStation (Updated with lawyer breakdown)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a Sony customer why do I care what Microsoft does? I'm getting all major third party games, some major third party exclusives, and Sony first party titles. In order for them to grab my attention they need something I actually value not some abstract "games" new IP that doesn't exist because even if that new IP comes into existence why should I care? I'm good here.

Your suggestion that some new IPs are going to get me and other gamers to drop PlayStation is laughable to me. There has never been a time in my life I've ever purchased a Microsoft console without either the intent or actual ownership on a Sony one and TBH I never will. There is nothing Microsoft could ever do with a new IP to get me to purchase an Xbox over a PlayStation. Xbox is always a second or third choice to me and I'm not in the minority here.

Satisfied customers aren't looking to jump ship over new IPs no matter what you say.

Huh?

But isn't that essentially what you said here?

The fact of the matter is this. If a customer is in your ecosystem and you don't give them a reason to leave they won't. Most people don't want to buy 2 and 3 home consoles. They want to spend the $500 on a single box and be done with it. Building new IPs there is nothing Microsoft will ever be able to do when on Sony you're getting all major third party games, some major third party exclusives, and Sony first party games.

Microsoft doesn't need games as a vague concept like yall talk. They need games people actually care about. Hence they're buying publishers that make those.

So, by your logic Microsoft's dropoff in market position from the begining of the XBox 360 to now is just people not playing games altogether, and not in any way influenced by seeing games they want elsewhere, and just buying those systems instead?

In that case, that's crazy that revenues in gaming have been going up with a shrinking userbase. :ohhh:

Breh, you gotta stop assuming that just because YOU would never have an XBox as your primary console, that no one would. There are tons of folks that made the switch from the XBox to Playstation at the generational switch, and vice versa. It just depends on what each side has to offer them.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Huh?

But isn't that essentially what you said here?

So, by your logic Microsoft's dropoff in market position from the begining of the XBox 360 to now is just people not playing games altogether, and not in any way influenced by seeing games they want elsewhere, and just buying those systems instead?

In that case, that's crazy that revenues in gaming have been going up with a shrinking userbase. :ohhh:

Breh, you gotta stop assuming that just because YOU would never have an XBox as your primary console, that no one would. There are tons of folks that made the switch from the XBox to Playstation at the generational switch, and vice versa. It just depends on what each side has to offer them.
By my argument Microsoft’s drop in position in the Xbox One generation was pissing off enthusiasts gamers very early on with questionable policies and an obsessive focus on TV games and a higher price. The Xbox sold like 21 million devices and the PS2 was like 100 million over that so let’s not pretend in a single generation going from those 21 million or whatever sales to 90 something million were all entrenched loyal customers that were reluctant to leave.

Like I said if the people in your ecosystem aren’t given a reason to leave they won’t. If you give them a reason they most certainly will.

Lastly my assumption isn’t that I won’t leave so nobody will. It’s that unless they get games people care about people aren’t looking to switch brands. My assumption is that new IPs nobody has heard of implemented on the limited audience they have doesn’t create games everyone feels they must play vs popular IPs that already exist and people already care about.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
By my argument Microsoft’s drop in position in the Xbox One generation was pissing off enthusiasts gamers very early on with questionable policies and an obsessive focus on TV games and a higher price. The Xbox sold like 21 million devices and the PS2 was like 100 million over that so let’s not pretend in a single generation going from those 21 million or whatever sales to 90 something million were all entrenched loyal customers that were reluctant to leave.

Like I said if the people in your ecosystem aren’t given a reason to leave they won’t. If you give them a reason they most certainly will.

Lastly my assumption isn’t that I won’t leave so nobody will. It’s that unless they get games people care about people aren’t looking to switch brands. My assumption is that new IPs nobody has heard of implemented on the limited audience they have doesn’t create games everyone feels they must play vs popular IPs that already exist and people already care about.

But we have proof that new IPs actually do work. Sony is eating right now off of IPs they invested in from the PS3 and PS4 days.

The problem a lot of people have had with switching to XBox is that they haven't had a hit that wasn't one of their traditional three franchises for a bit. They tried at the beginning of the XBox One cycle with stuff like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, but mostly abandoned the approach when those two games underperformed. They're clearly open to trying again, as stuff that they're hyping that should be coming soon, like Starfield, Avowed, Hellblade, and The Outer World's 2 are new IPs, or on their first sequel.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
According to Smith, Microsoft is open to formally agreeing to place limits on its business practices to resolve antitrust concerns.

10 days ago, MS offered Sony a 10-year deal to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation. Sony declined to comment on the offer.

My nikka Jim putting in that work:myman:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Would tell dem nikkaz, we want 20. Half of CoD bread comes from Playstation Whoadie. This ain't a game nikka......well it is...but it ain't....ya heard me!! :birdman:

state-property.gif