The VHS Era Appreciation thread

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
U still got 3 ninjas kick back somewhere

Me and my brother used to laugh at how a Japanese man had a 100% white daughter and 100% white grandkids:mjlol:
Just assumed adopted but you might be on to sumn. I might rewatch to peep context :ohhh:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
the yutes of today will never know true joy.

:gag::gag::gag::gag:@ family movie night being an evening on netflix
You act like DVD and Blu-Ray don't exist :heh:

Having to rewind :scust:

The video quality getting worse as you play it :camby:

Taking up so much space :francis:

Needing 3 tapes to watch a movie like Titanic :aicmon:

fukk outta here

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You act like DVD and Blu-Ray don't exist :heh:

Having to rewind :scust:

The video quality getting worse as you play it :camby:

Taking up so much space :francis:

Needing 3 tapes to watch a movie like Titanic :aicmon:

fukk outta here

:ehh:
i think i cherished movies more back then, getting a movie for christmas id watch that tape like 50 times
think i spent the whole summer once watching free willy 2 on vhs and babysitters club with my sister :picard:, because its all we had

now i watch a movie once and moe than likely will never watch again

basedlawd

Banned
Daps
:ehh:
i think i cherished movies more back then, getting a movie for christmas id watch that tape like 50 times
think i spent the whole summer once watching free willy 2 on vhs and babysitters club with my sister :picard:, because its all we had

now i watch a movie once and moe than likely will never watch again
yeah, children appreciate dumb shyt more

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
If not for VHS, I would've never had an interest in Big Girls Don't Cry They Get Even (Step Kids). That movie became a classic.

And there's still stuff on VHS never released on DVD.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I don't get the nostalgia for VHS and the days of blockbuster. Everything is way more convenient these days. You don't have to head to the store and hope the movie you want is in stock, you can rent it with one click from the comfort of your own home.

I've been collecting movies since VHS-DVD-BLU-UHD-streaming but I always just look ahead to the newest and best format

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't get the nostalgia for VHS and the days of blockbuster. Everything is way more convenient these days. You don't have to head to the store and hope the movie you want is in stock, you can rent it with one click from the comfort of your own home.

I've been collecting movies since VHS-DVD-BLU-UHD-streaming but I always just look ahead to the newest and best format

It's not about convenience breh its about discovery. It's the idea of having to get off your ass, go to a store, and just walk the aisles and sometimes have no clue what you were getting. There's a thrill to that shyt as opposed to going through netflix or amazon or hulu and seeing ratings next to stuff and having them suggests stuff for you. In a video store, I'd get suggestions if I asked but for the most part, it was me on my own with nothing but a box to look at and hope I picked a winner. The one click shyt is cool but I'd argue it makes us less adventurous, less social, and leads to us all becoming the borg. A freaking hive mind with no original thought

Also, there are a lot of gems that aren't even available on blu or digital yet, especially if you're into horror.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

For just kicking back watching a movie, those formats & technologies are fine.
Going to the video store, though, was an event!
It was fun to go out with the family (or your friends), check out a favorite movie, or maybe one that you missed in the theater, and enjoy it at home.
Then, when you became old enough to get your very own Blockbuster card :blessed:!
And don't forget, we had "make it a Blockbuster night" way before "Netflix & chill". Taking a girl to pick out a movie and taking her back to your place was almost a surefire thing.:banderas:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It's not about convenience breh its about discovery. It's the idea of having to get off your ass, go to a store, and just walk the aisles and sometimes have no clue what you were getting. There's a thrill to that shyt as opposed to going through netflix or amazon or hulu and seeing ratings next to stuff and having them suggests stuff for you. In a video store, I'd get suggestions if I asked but for the most part, it was me on my own with nothing but a box to look at and hope I picked a winner. The one click shyt is cool but I'd argue it makes us less adventurous, less social, and leads to us all becoming the borg. A freaking hive mind with no original thought

Also, there are a lot of gems that aren't even available on blu or digital yet, especially if you're into horror.
I used to go to Hollywood Video every Tuesday and rent 3-5 movies.

But I still feel I learned more about film in this day and age, browsing forums and film twitter sites and downloading the movies than I did back then.