The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was bored so against my better judgement I watched these three episodes

I should have kept to my earlier vow not to watch this monstrosity of a b*stardization. They’ve completely just said “fukk the books” and are doing they’re own thing. Literally NOTHING in this season’s first two episodes is adapted from the book series. NOTHING.

The producers are showing the utmost contempt for the world Robert Jordan built, the characters he created, and the story he told. Its as if they were FORCED to make this show, read a wikipedia synopsis, and said “We can do better”.

This shyt is terrible

And the actress playing Elayne is UGLY

fukk this show

Daps
Holy shyt never saw this thread.
I didn't know there were so many fans of the Wheel of Time on the coli. My GOAT Fantasy series. :blessed:

Too bad that the show took to many liberties with the books imo, I can't get past that.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

I should have kept to my earlier vow not to watch this monstrosity of a b*stardization. They’ve completely just said “fukk the books” and are doing they’re own thing. Literally NOTHING in this season’s first two episodes is adapted from the book series. NOTHING.

The producers are showing the utmost contempt for the world Robert Jordan built, the characters he created, and the story he told. Its as if they were FORCED to make this show, read a wikipedia synopsis, and said “We can do better”.

This shyt is terrible

fukk this show
They definitely said "fukk the books". It barely counts as a loose adaptation.

I'm gonna stick with it for now. I can't say that hate the changes they made, being that they're doing their own thing. I will say the episodes were entertaining enough. But I can say this isn't Wheel of Time...now for better or worse, I think I'll know in 1 or 2 more episodes.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I told dem!
Now I gotta scold dem!

- I Are the One Bounty Killer

One thing that has me completely skeptical of this whole setup is how that plays out in this current cultural space. It's the easiest layup to get used for propaganda as opposed to just telling the story.

Jordan may have borrowed his setup from The Lord of the Rings (with some real encouragement from his publisher, Tor), but in many ways his books represented “one big step out from Tolkien” for the genre, Sanderson said. Gone were the hoary archetypes—the bearded wizards and saintly protagonists, almost uniformly male. In their place were flesh-and-blood real-life characters with flaws and defects. And perhaps most revolutionary: Many of them—many of the most powerful among them—were women. Not always the best-written or most convincing women, but still: women. “That was something that kind of connected my mom and me: We could both see ourselves in these books,” Judkins said. “And then she could understand, ‘Oh, maybe being a gay man is somewhat like being a woman in terms of the challenges that you face in your life and what it feels like.’ And we can both find ourselves in this. And so when I pitched it, I said the same thing. I was like: ‘You have to connect to these things emotionally

I just hope hope HOPE they are not going to Shannara Chronicles this shyt and rape the books that its based on. Terry Brooks deserved better

Four ta'veren?

I see how this dance is going to go. :hmm:

Calling it now: this isn't Wheel of Time.:francis:

- skipped Baerlon
- no initial encounter with Min (!)
- no Bayle Domon (!) after escaping Shadar Logoth
- skipped Whitebridge
- skipped the Grinwell farm
- skipped Four Kings
- skipped Howal Gode...and more importantly the lightning strike and subsequent sickness
- skipped Caemlyn...and thus no Morgase, Elaine, Gawyn and Galad (!)
- no meeting with Elyas Machera (!)
- no Geofram Bornhald (!)
- no Jaret Byar (!)
- Mat and Rand arriving at Tar Valon from the east, from the wrong side of the River Erinin
- no Shining Walls, no Power-wrought bridge leading into Tar Valon
- Lan acting out of character
- no Warder shifting cloaks

Some things will seem nitpicky, others are major changes, especially central characters that weave in and out of the story throughout. When you add the missing pieces all up, it becomes what a committee thinks WoT should have been...and not the complex wheels-within-wheels saga that it truly is. The remit for this entire show being on Amazon in the first place was that Bezos wanted something to compete with Game of Thrones. If that's the case...this ain't it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it CW-level quality, but you'd struggle to prove to any serious fan of the series that the show so far is any more than say...Freeform quality. Seems harsh but it is what it is.
So, we return to the critical question that this show will face again and again: how much can you take out, change, repurpose for pandering purposes...before it stops being what it is?

:ufdup:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I totally forgot this show existed untill I saw this thread. Maybe whenever I take a month of prime for some other show I'll watch this too. First season was just okay to me
I forgot the show existed until I kept getting reminded about it during TNF last season

Daps

This shyt is terrible

fukk this show

Thanks. I was seriously considering throwing this on despite my very “meh” feeling towards the first season.

You went through that. So we didn’t have to go through that. :huhldup: :russ: :yeshrug:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Thanks. I was seriously considering throwing this on despite my very “meh” feeling towards the first season.

You went through that. So we didn’t have to go through that. :huhldup: :russ: :yeshrug:
I don't think the 3 episodes were bad, but they're independent of the books. Hell, honestly, they're independent of season 1. Aside from Moraine, Nynaeve and New-Mat, they don't even feel like the same characters from s1. And I watched season 1 in the days before watching these 3 episodes

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I don't think the 3 episodes were bad, but they're independent of the books. Hell, honestly, they're independent of season 1. Aside from Moraine, Nynaeve and New-Mat, they don't even feel like the same characters from s1. And I watched season 1 in the days before watching these 3 episodes
I'm enjoying the show...but I simply CAN'T remember anything that happened last year or even who the characters are anymore :manny: .
TBH "The Witcher", "Rings of Power", "Wheel of Time" and even "Willow" are all kind of running together in my mind :mjlol:.

I keep thinking like "which show was the one with the city full of infected people...oh yeah, that was Wheel of Time".

It's not actually stopping me from enjoying these shows, at least they hold my interest while I'm watching.

EDIT:
I just realized something:
You really have to give credit to "House of the Dragon". Out of all the 'fantasy' shows currently running, that's the one you can't get mixed up with all the others.