Thinking about getting back into Martial Arts. Should I do Tae Kwon Do or Kickboxing?

Which Martial Arts style should I learn?

• Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • KickBoxing

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Another Martial Arts

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I'm a fan of Martial Arts that emphasize footwork and movement, and Wrestling and other grappling really does not which turns me off

Do you have some advantages when you Wrestle going into Kickboxing first because of the footwork advantage?
What are you doing the marital art for? I guess I should ask that. Do you want to compete or just learn to fight?

There's a lot of movement and foot work in wrestling but it's not a pretty style if that's what you're looking for. Wrestling has taught me to react to body movements of my opponents with the appropriate movement and how to better apply pressure. I'm a pressure fighter and wrestling is all about reacting to pressure and using it.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Do MMA, Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by itself if you trying to fight better. Or if your a real psycho, try and get into a Catch Wrestling gym amd learn how to do submissions and pins.

If you like exotic martial arts like Kung Fu (which is trash) with forms and techniques, try Pencak Silat. Silat is the fighting style from The Raid 1 and 2 movies and its not absolutely worthless like most types of Kung Fu or Chinese/Korean/Japanese martial arts.

CouldntBeMeTho

Clarence Pawlicker
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
I'm a fan of Martial Arts that emphasize footwork and movement, and Wrestling and other grappling really does not which turns me off

Do you have some advantages when you Wrestle going into Kickboxing first because of the footwork advantage?
You don't have to become a master but you should learn some grappling as well. It'll make you a much more rounded fighter

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I don't know what it is, but I'm not a fan of grappling on the floor and see it as unnecessary to learn. Am I wrong?

I feel what you saying, I think it’s very practical for real life fight situations though. With that said, if you’re very proficient in a certain discipline then you can neutralize those situations. Like had I continued my Boxing training for at least 2-3 years it might’ve been too difficult to get close enough to grab me without getting knocked out cold.

For me it’s gotta be 75% practical and 25% for the sake of interest. :ehh:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
At this point, either or but i would probably take kickboxing which is more practical

TKD isn’t bad, and as a martial art it’s good with its teaching, it also has a more aggressive part that is specifically more for real world combat, but unless you want to memorize forms and break boards, I suggest kickboxing for more immediate results in self defense

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Black belt here in Karate

All art has value from the right instructions. But I'll tell you what I'm doing BJJ for the last year and your cardio will be taxed the likes you've never had if you never grappled. It's a beast.

It has its flaws (zero head movement and susceptible to good striking. And everyone who thinks it's superior to striking never got legitimately hit) but if you can mix it with boxing, karate or kickboxing you'll be good.

Muay Thai ain't for the fant of heart.

Bottom line, something is better than none at all.

Last edited:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Pretend Gun Fu isn’t the obvious choice brehs…

equilibrium-christian-bale.gif

4gOb.gif

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Mma Bjj or Tae bo

You either gonna take something that can be applied to real life or go get your cardio kickboxing on

OP if you not learning BJJ you're pouring jelly on yourself. Just ask this Breh ∆

I don't know what it is, but I'm not a fan of grappling on the floor and see it as unnecessary to learn. Am I wrong?

Not being a fan of it doesn't stop a niqqa from putting you in the Crippler Cross Face.

You prolly better learn it.

Last edited:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I was a black stripe in Tae Kwon Do.

Muay Thai/Kickboxing for the win. If you want to be deadly, pair it with BJJ.

TKD is pretty and not really effective unless paired with 2-3 other martial arts/fighting styles. I learned Hapkido, Judo, Juijitsu and a little bit of boxing with it.

I mean, you can take someone's head off or kick the soul out of their stomach with it, but anyone half decent at fighting is going to be able to stop 98% of the shyt you throw at them and you gonna be brawling anyway.

I will say the greatest thing Tae Kwon Do taught me was blocking. You learn how to instinctively block a bunch of different things and effectively counter.

Last edited:

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tae kwon do will barely teach you how to punch or deal with punches.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
What are you doing the marital art for? I guess I should ask that. Do you want to compete or just learn to fight?

There's a lot of movement and foot work in wrestling but it's not a pretty style if that's what you're looking for. Wrestling has taught me to react to body movements of my opponents with the appropriate movement and how to better apply pressure. I'm a pressure fighter and wrestling is all about reacting to pressure and using it.

I'm not 18 trying to get into the Olympics lol, so now I don't want to compete and make a career out of this. Unless are there Semi-Pro leagues that actually exist for older Brehs? :ohhh:

I want to learn a style that has more emphasis on Striking

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
Do MMA, Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by itself if you trying to fight better. Or if your a real psycho, try and get into a Catch Wrestling gym amd learn how to do submissions and pins.

If you like exotic martial arts like Kung Fu (which is trash) with forms and techniques, try Pencak Silat. Silat is the fighting style from The Raid 1 and 2 movies and its not absolutely worthless like most types of Kung Fu or Chinese/Korean/Japanese martial arts.
Hol upwhy is king fu trash? I thought that’s where the magic is :ohhh: that and ninjitsu
Just Hollywood Shyt?
Never trained in any of this so idk