ceramic vs plastic

you do realise microwaves are literally everywhere, and so are plastics

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
my mother's leftovers are my favorite. monday tastes better than sunday. i wish i could go back in time to high school where i can eat her food all the time.

anyway back to the topic, i try to avoid it but sometimes i'm like i know better, but fukk it i gotta run.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I usually go with glass/pyrex dishes, but they still have the plastic lids.

But honestly, the only reason I stay away from plastic dishes is because of how easily they staying and how poor they perform in the dishwasher.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
I prefer to avoid plastics whenever I can. shyt is toxic if ingested, even when you scrape the container with a spoon or fork or knife you get a lil bit into your body. Over time this adds up. I know I sound like a tinfoil hat rocking dude but I personally stick to metal, porcelain and glass if possible.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Hell yes. For the plastics more than for the microwaves. I don't put anything hot in plastics if I can help it, and avoid cooking with them completely.

Oven vs microwave
ceramic vs plastic
you do realise microwaves are literally everywhere, and so are plastics

You do realize that just a few years ago, perhaps when your grandparents were born, that wasn't even remotely true?

Plastics and most other synthetic chemicals have been out in the public for less than a hundred years. Every year more chemicals are shown to have negative consequences on health. And a lot of time it's completely hidden by the companies involved.

Here's some reading material about these "safe chemicals" that are literally everywhere, for anyone who just wants to brush this aside:

Pentachlorophenal and napthalene (wood preservatives used in creosote)

Did the EPA Prosecute and Jail a Mississippi Lab Owner Because of Her Activism?

International Treaty Bans Pentachlorophenal, U.S. Continues Use on Utility Poles and Railroad Ties - eNews Park Forest

PFOA (chemical in teflon, waterproof clothing/furniture and many other products)

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare

DuPont’s deadly deceit: The decades-long cover-up behind the “world’s most slippery material”

Tris (fire retardant in furniture, children's toys, clothing, etc.)

Arlene Blum’s Crusade Against Toxic Couches

A Flame Retardant That Came With Its Own Threat to Health

Brominated fire retardants (replacement for Tris that turned out to also be bad)

New Studies Find Dangerous Levels Of Toxic Flame Retardants In Household Dust

Toxic effects of brominated flame retardants in man and in wildlife. - PubMed - NCBI

Hexavalent chromium (the Erin Brockovich chemical used in dyes, paints, and chrom plating)

The Dangers of Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium 6) in California Drinking Water

Health effects of Hexavalent Chromium

Phthalate plasticisers (in all sorts of plastics)

Phthalates are everywhere, and the health risks are worrying

How dangerous are phthalate plasticisers?

Bisphenol A (all sorts of plastic and metal food packaging)

The real story behind Bisphenol A

The Politics of Plastics: The making and unmaking of Bisphenol A "safety"

Carbon disulfide (created during the process of making cellophane, sausage casings, sponges, etc.)

Carbon disulfide poisoning and male hysteria

Carbon disulfide: Its toxicity and potential dangers

That's just a glimpse. There are over 60,000 new chemicals that have been created and placed in our products since just the 1930s, and most of them have never been tested by anyone other than the company that makes them for profit.

My advice is to expose yourself, especially your food, to as few things that don't exist in nature as possible. Use as few chemicals and plastics as possible, especially when heating things where chemicals can leach out. And avoid preservatives and other non-food ingredients as much as you can.

Last edited: