Thoughts About Microwaving Food In Plasic Containers

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Hell yes. For the plastics more than for the microwaves. I don't put anything hot in plastics if I can help it, and avoid cooking with them completely.

You do realize that just a few years ago, perhaps when your grandparents were born, that wasn't even remotely true?

Plastics and most other synthetic chemicals have been out in the public for less than a hundred years. Every year more chemicals are shown to have negative consequences on health. And a lot of time it's completely hidden by the companies involved.

Here's some reading material about these "safe chemicals" that are literally everywhere, for anyone who just wants to brush this aside:

Pentachlorophenal and napthalene (wood preservatives used in creosote)

Did the EPA Prosecute and Jail a Mississippi Lab Owner Because of Her Activism?

International Treaty Bans Pentachlorophenal, U.S. Continues Use on Utility Poles and Railroad Ties - eNews Park Forest

PFOA (chemical in teflon, waterproof clothing/furniture and many other products)

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare

DuPont’s deadly deceit: The decades-long cover-up behind the “world’s most slippery material”

Tris (fire retardant in furniture, children's toys, clothing, etc.)

Arlene Blum’s Crusade Against Toxic Couches

A Flame Retardant That Came With Its Own Threat to Health

Brominated fire retardants (replacement for Tris that turned out to also be bad)

New Studies Find Dangerous Levels Of Toxic Flame Retardants In Household Dust

Toxic effects of brominated flame retardants in man and in wildlife. - PubMed - NCBI

Hexavalent chromium (the Erin Brockovich chemical used in dyes, paints, and chrom plating)

The Dangers of Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium 6) in California Drinking Water

Health effects of Hexavalent Chromium

Phthalate plasticisers (in all sorts of plastics)

Phthalates are everywhere, and the health risks are worrying

How dangerous are phthalate plasticisers?

Bisphenol A (all sorts of plastic and metal food packaging)

The real story behind Bisphenol A

The Politics of Plastics: The making and unmaking of Bisphenol A "safety"

Carbon disulfide (created during the process of making cellophane, sausage casings, sponges, etc.)

Carbon disulfide poisoning and male hysteria

Carbon disulfide: Its toxicity and potential dangers

That's just a glimpse. There are over 60,000 new chemicals that have been created and placed in our products since just the 1930s, and most of them have never been tested by anyone other than the company that makes them for profit.

My advice is to expose yourself, especially your food, to as few things that don't exist in nature as possible. Use as few chemicals and plastics as possible, especially when heating things where chemicals can leach out. And avoid preservatives and other non-food ingredients as much as you can.
God damn I got some reading to do
Ugh...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
Hell yes. For the plastics more than for the microwaves. I don't put anything hot in plastics if I can help it, and avoid cooking with them completely.

You do realize that just a few years ago, perhaps when your grandparents were born, that wasn't even remotely true?

Plastics and most other synthetic chemicals have been out in the public for less than a hundred years. Every year more chemicals are shown to have negative consequences on health. And a lot of time it's completely hidden by the companies involved.

Here's some reading material about these "safe chemicals" that are literally everywhere, for anyone who just wants to brush this aside:

Pentachlorophenal and napthalene (wood preservatives used in creosote)

Did the EPA Prosecute and Jail a Mississippi Lab Owner Because of Her Activism?

International Treaty Bans Pentachlorophenal, U.S. Continues Use on Utility Poles and Railroad Ties - eNews Park Forest

PFOA (chemical in teflon, waterproof clothing/furniture and many other products)

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare

DuPont’s deadly deceit: The decades-long cover-up behind the “world’s most slippery material”

Tris (fire retardant in furniture, children's toys, clothing, etc.)

Arlene Blum’s Crusade Against Toxic Couches

A Flame Retardant That Came With Its Own Threat to Health

Brominated fire retardants (replacement for Tris that turned out to also be bad)

New Studies Find Dangerous Levels Of Toxic Flame Retardants In Household Dust

Toxic effects of brominated flame retardants in man and in wildlife. - PubMed - NCBI

Hexavalent chromium (the Erin Brockovich chemical used in dyes, paints, and chrom plating)

The Dangers of Hexavalent Chromium (Chromium 6) in California Drinking Water

Health effects of Hexavalent Chromium

Phthalate plasticisers (in all sorts of plastics)

Phthalates are everywhere, and the health risks are worrying

How dangerous are phthalate plasticisers?

Bisphenol A (all sorts of plastic and metal food packaging)

The real story behind Bisphenol A

The Politics of Plastics: The making and unmaking of Bisphenol A "safety"

Carbon disulfide (created during the process of making cellophane, sausage casings, sponges, etc.)

Carbon disulfide poisoning and male hysteria

Carbon disulfide: Its toxicity and potential dangers

That's just a glimpse. There are over 60,000 new chemicals that have been created and placed in our products since just the 1930s, and most of them have never been tested by anyone other than the company that makes them for profit.

My advice is to expose yourself, especially your food, to as few things that don't exist in nature as possible. Use as few chemicals and plastics as possible, especially when heating things where chemicals can leach out. And avoid preservatives and other non-food ingredients as much as you can.
as i said microwaves and plastics are EVERYWHERE and have been around for ages. microwaves forever, and plastics since the discovery of oil.

Like most other materials most plastics are not to be injested, which is blatantly obvious, and has nothing to with it being synthetic or naturally occurring. Making out that heating food in tupperware is dangerous is tinfoil stupidity.

Be safe tho
:Jessej:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
as i said microwaves and plastics are EVERYWHERE and have been around for ages. microwaves forever, and plastics since the discovery of oil.

Like most other materials most plastics are not to be injested, which is blatantly obvious, and has nothing to with it being synthetic or naturally occurring. Making out that heating food in tupperware is dangerous is tinfoil stupidity.

Be safe tho
:Jessej:

How the hell are you going to heat your food in plastic without ingesting the chemicals from the plastic? :mindblown:

You didn't read a single one of the links, did you? :dahell:

I can just imagine...."Come on man, lead and x-rays been around forever...who the heck are you to tell me they aren't safe?" :heh:

Brother out there giving his kids toys full of Tris, baby bottles with Bisphenol A, and washing their dishes in PFOA because "if the corporations sell it to us, it must be safe!"

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
I've been using the same BPA-free plastic container and heating up my food in a microwave at work for the past year:snoop:. Call myself eating healthy by bringing vegetables and baked meats to work for lunch and still taking years off of my life with this fukin plastic :mjgrin:.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Get yourself a ceramic bowl for microwaving. I don't put plastics in the microwave anymore. Honestly, I don't even like eating out of a lot of them. They degrade really quickly.

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
I try my best to use my toaster oven to heat my food. It takes more time but when I do it it keeps me from ingesting radiation and it makes the food taste better.

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:merchant:this thread got me super shook

I'm 22 and been doing this forever

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Aint nothing safe ...nothing...we are basically test subjects to every industry...and when bad things happen the issue an apology pay a fine and keep it moving by divesting and diversifying