Throwback Saturday: NWA Pro. March 07, 1987

DocZulu

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love how they'll have a match, wait for 2 segments, then interview the guys who just wrestled.

I love how they treat it as a "connected universe": wrestlers acknowledge each other despite not being involved in mutual feuds and rivalries. Check how the US Tag Team champions don't appear together.

I love how the announcers put over the talent. Even the bad guys are described in both athletic and moral terms.

I love how managers get the audience ready for their wrestlers' promos. Peep how they set up Rick Rude to talk about the #1 seed in the Crockett Cup.

And I love the crowd.

80s TV was so dope

DocZulu

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was inspired to post this thread because of @Capn Murph's recent ~~> comments.

I went to the old boards, then migrated to the Coli, because I wanted to engage with intelligent people about one of my favorite hobbies.

Ignorant and flippant folks are the bed bugs that drive communities apart. So today I wanted to chit chat about production and storylines.

Rather than just spit on Raw or Vince, I wanted to glance back at what is effective in Wrestling.

If you peep the entire show you'll note that, even by 80's standards, the NWA show is technologically out of date. However, every character has a motivation and, just within that 60 minute program, the producers and announcers are able to provide us with a coherent story.

In fact, through the use of repetition, you quickly discern who are the most important wrestlers. This would be top notch by today's standards.

hqdefault.jpg

DLo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You realize how much having jobber matches protects the talent. Everybody looked strong and they used interviews and backstage segments to build up to big match.

I don't even remember that other Russian guy. I remember Ivan, nikkita and crusher kruschev.

DocZulu

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree.

To consider your point, protection is a primary focus of the production team. The bookers/producers were methodical in their approach.

Even the promos that were whack had a specific focus: promote the Crockett Cup, promote the championships, promote the feuds.

You realize how much having jobber matches protects the talent. Everybody looked strong and they used interviews and backstage segments to build up to big match.

I don't even remember that other Russian guy. I remember Ivan, nikkita and crusher kruschev.

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
This destroys today's product in every way that matters.

The intensity of the unscripted promos back then is just on another level.

Dudes knew how to draw legit heat back then. :wow:

DLo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This destroys today's product in every way that matters.

The intensity of the unscripted promos back then is just on another level.

Dudes knew how to draw legit heat back then. :wow:

That Ole and JJ Dillion segment felt real as hell.