Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Tick, Tick... Boom! (also stylized as tick, tick... BOOM!) is a 2021 American biographical musical drama film directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda in his feature directorial debut. Written by Steven Levenson, it is based on the stage musical of the same name by Jonathan Larson, a semi-autobiographical story about Larson's writing a musical to enter the industry. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Robin de Jesús, Alexandra Shipp, Joshua Henry, Judith Light, and Vanessa Hudgens.

Finally saw this. I'm normally not a big fan of musicals but I thought the way they did the music in this made sense within the context of the story and didn't take me out of it. But more than that, I related a lot to the main character. I recently got into screenwriting and just the excitement/rush he felt while creating art but also the stress it caused him and how it impacted his relationships definitely resonated with me. And I feel like anyone who wants to be an "artist" can relate.

But yeah overall, I thought this was really well done. Great story, music, direction and acting. I still want Will to win the Oscar for King Richard but Andrew Garfield would be my second choice. He killed the role and I thought he nailed Jonathan Larson's overall mannerisms and demeanor.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you believe it is good enough to overcome those of us who haven't watched because it is a musical?

Yeah. So I'll use West Side Story as an example. Overall, I liked the remake. And Spielberg does a good job of giving it a gritty NY feel. Yet whenever I found myself feeling immersed in the story/characters, these dudes would start doing dance moves and break out into songs and I was immediately reminded that I was watching a musical and it made me care much less about the characters and the world.

That didn't happen with this movie due to how they framed it. They did it in a way that makes absolute sense in the narrative and was actually pretty creative.

The main character is performing the play in front of an audience and whenever there's a musical number, it's either done in the show within the movie or it's a flashback so it's his imagination.

Also, the music in general sounds like normal songs, doesn't have that over the top "musical" quality to it

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I actually like musicals and I hated every second of Tick Tick Boom.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sad what happened to Jon Larson. He died at a young age and didn't reap the rewards of the success of RENT

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm surprised Vanessa Hudgens had such a small role.
Not only can she sing, but she has a great voice.
She should be a mega star

OnlyOneBoss

All Star
Daps
Andrew Garfield deserves that best actor this year brehs I can’t even lie :francis: