Tom Brady plans to join fox as lead NFL Analyst when he "retires"

DjMe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is low key kind of wild, when you consider all the implications.

Brady is going from being the most famous player to ever play the game to a new role: either the most famous of the ownership collective, aside from Jerry who will be dead in a few years; or the most famous of the media side of the game. Both are opportunties to represent the league and basically be the face of the sport--but both are totally different politically. As an owner, he'd be the one with mics in front of his face at ownership meetings, and everything Raider related. As a broadcaster though, he'd be a PR man for the league on a weekly basis. He has to pick what he wants, and what ultimately furthers his aims.

Think of the comparables to Brady in other sports: MJ (Hornets); Tiger (just given equity in the tour); Jeter (Marlins); Gretzky (Coyotes). Equity in the game seems like a natural path for someoe of his stature, while broadcasting only opens him up to criticism. He signed the broadcasting deal when he was still playing football, and going through a divorce. Based on the legend around him, I doubt he devoted much time to weighing broadcasting vs ownership against one another. But now being out of the game and talking to his peers about it, I bet he'd rather be an owner than a talker. People are just waiting to pick apart his every word.

This is his team releasing this news, and by team I mean the other owners. No access to production meetings? He's never going to call a game. NFL and FOX will quietly work something out behind the scenes, and he'll do some media shyt with Beli this year on MNF to publicly bury the hatchet, and make it look like he's not running scared from the cameras. Manningcast is a convienient way to bypass the production meeting aspect, because he can just show up as a "guest" every so often--Peyton was his biggest rival and Beli was his coach, Eli was his foil in 2 Super Bowls. Fox gets to keep Olsen in the booth as their number 1, who America genuinely seems to like. Everyone wins and the biggest winner of the day is the NFL.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Maaan Tom gonna do this year’s Super Bowl on FOX and dip. Ain’t no way he’s finishing that contract anyway.

Regardless of the bag Fox threw at him, he’d be better off doing what he’s doing now with his YouTube channel and growing it while getting even more of a piece of the Raiders.

The literally let it be known that his access as a broadcaster will be severely limited and it’s not like he needs Fox. He’s not broke. Dude can leverage his fame into so many other things and just eat off of companies throwing $ at him for endorsements.

DjMe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is he really the most famous football player ever?

I have no idea--he's probably top 10 though.
Famous might have been the wrong word to choose. GOAT will cause just as much debate.
He's certainly got a brand though, just like Jeter, who is also not the most famous or the GOAT, but he's something.
Players with a big rep, a big brand, and equity in a team.

cheapshot

Pro
Daps
Not saying that they don't matter at all, but does he need access to practice to be successful (don't know what the issue is with respect to the production meetings)? He could review tape of the teams and get notes about the individual players. Fox is paying him big money because of his name and I doubt that they would want to ax his deal because of his inability to watch practice.

Joe Buck & Aikman have access to everything and they are one of the most boring announcing teams on TV. With all of the information and breakdowns on the internet, I can't see how Brady would be at a real disadvantage right now. It's a different sport, but didn't Shaq and Grant Hill have limited access once they became part of ownership groups?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
This is low key kind of wild, when you consider all the implications.

Brady is going from being the most famous player to ever play the game to a new role: either the most famous of the ownership collective, aside from Jerry who will be dead in a few years; or the most famous of the media side of the game. Both are opportunties to represent the league and basically be the face of the sport--but both are totally different politically. As an owner, he'd be the one with mics in front of his face at ownership meetings, and everything Raider related. As a broadcaster though, he'd be a PR man for the league on a weekly basis. He has to pick what he wants, and what ultimately furthers his aims.

Think of the comparables to Brady in other sports: MJ (Hornets); Tiger (just given equity in the tour); Jeter (Marlins); Gretzky (Coyotes). Equity in the game seems like a natural path for someoe of his stature, while broadcasting only opens him up to criticism. He signed the broadcasting deal when he was still playing football, and going through a divorce. Based on the legend around him, I doubt he devoted much time to weighing broadcasting vs ownership against one another. But now being out of the game and talking to his peers about it, I bet he'd rather be an owner than a talker. People are just waiting to pick apart his every word.

This is his team releasing this news, and by team I mean the other owners. No access to production meetings? He's never going to call a game. NFL and FOX will quietly work something out behind the scenes, and he'll do some media shyt with Beli this year on MNF to publicly bury the hatchet, and make it look like he's not running scared from the cameras. Manningcast is a convienient way to bypass the production meeting aspect, because he can just show up as a "guest" every so often--Peyton was his biggest rival and Beli was his coach, Eli was his foil in 2 Super Bowls. Fox gets to keep Olsen in the booth as their number 1, who America genuinely seems to like. Everyone wins and the biggest winner of the day is the NFL.
This season is starting next week. He's gonna call games for FOX.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Is he really the most famous football player ever?
Yeah, he’s probably reached that point because of longevity. Plus he was with Gisselle. I can’t think of anyone more famous than in the sport globally.

Still a tier below other American athletes though.

Last edited: