Tony Allen's No. 9 to Be Retired by Memphis Grizzlies

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
78cHer.gif

A lot of y'all gonna knock on it but he's one of the G.O.A.T. defenders in NBA history.

Those Grit-N-Grind Memphis teams may have never won but they'll be memorable and he was one of the key cogs, and maybe the guy who gave them their identity.

Udonis Harlem getting his number retired in Miami too.

Possibly Nick Collison in Oklahoma City too.

ace416

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Devalues the jersey retirement. It should be done only for a select group of hall of famers with meaningful impact to a team not fringe all-star players.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Devalues the jersey retirement. It should be done only for a select group of hall of famers with meaningful impact to a team not fringe all-star players.

Allen and Z-Bo contributed a hell of a lot to not only the team but the city itself. If you never lived in Memphis you have no clue.

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Let the whole world know i rep Zone 4
If you're not from Memphis or follow the Grizzlies you probably wouldn't understand the magnitude of what him and Zach truly mean to the city

Yea i don't get it. With Zach I somewhat see it, but it seems forced & unnecessary from the outside looking in. But I'm not a Grizzlies fan or from Memphis so :manny:

Daps
he deserves it, you dont haveto be a 20/10 guy playing for 15 years to have that honor
dude played his heart out and epitomized what memphis was

:rudy: I know the team doesn't have much history but Randolph and Allen are not worthy of jersey retirement.

So Z-bo Zach and Gasol should get theirs up to one day I assume.

If you're not from Memphis or follow the Grizzlies you probably wouldn't understand the magnitude of what him and Zach truly mean to the city

god imagine if they ever win a championship. They gonna have to owe their star player a statue and name the arena after him.

Allen and Z-Bo contributed a hell of a lot to not only the team but the city itself. If you never lived in Memphis you have no clue.

Yea i don't get it. With Zach I somewhat see it, but it seems forced & unnecessary from the outside looking in. But I'm not a Grizzlies fan or from Memphis so :manny:
From a personal standpoint, I'm happy for dude, but looking at this shyt objectively, it sets a strange precedent. If the standard is set at Allen and Z-Bo, obviously M.Gasol and Conley will have theirs retired - all four players who range from good to standard All-Stars. What happens when the same caliber of players come through and last just as long? What happens when BETTER players come through and last just as long? Or players who have multiple All-Star nods and/or take the team on multiple deep playoff runs? Or if they win a title?

I get that both Allen and Z-Bo shaped the ipseity of the franchise, both on and off the court, but so will players in the future when the team changes and takes on another identity. If they're the bar, this team might run out of space in the rafters to hang jerseys before 2040.

:hubie:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is like if Knicks stans I grew up with had their way and got to retire Oak, Starks, and Anthony Mason's jerseys because "they defined an era." Which seems like a fukkin joke... but for local fans it's kind of cool. I think I might like this move. Gotta contemplate it a little longer.