Top 10% Now Own 77% of American Wealth + Widening Racial Wealth Gap

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You understand that this has been a right wing talking point for ages, right? That the reason the black community isn't well off has been due to the increasing rate of single motherhood.

I firmly believe that one's standing in life, be it socially or economically, starts with the family. That is the ultimate foundation. If you are a child born of two loving, supportive and sacrificing parents... and they stress the value of hard work and personal accountability... then it is highly unlikely that you will be poor when you are an adult. No matter what color you are.

If you are born into a broken family, or lack adult guidance, or a proper adult role model... then you are way more likely to be poor. No matter what color you are.

If the democrats were truly invested in the advancement of blacks, or any group of people really, they would be stressing the importance of family over everything else.

Not sure if you are a troll or not but this post is very true

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
:francis: The numbers are clear... even for whites who are exempt from many(if not all) of the other factors naysayers like to point to.
...and no one is suggesting broken families is a cause instead of a symptom... which i saw in the article you linked.

b2465_chart11.jpg

edit: For the education is key crowd

families.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg
How is the use of 11 year old and 3 year old data relevant to this report?

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
How is the use of 11 year old and 3 year old data relevant to this report?
Families headed by a single mother are by far the poorest family type, with families headed by a single father also high compared to married-couple families, but still their rates are half those of single-mother families: 2014 and 2015

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, Annual Social and Economic Supplements.

:ehh:Here are the numbers from the year the article he posted was written and the following year.
Not sure why so many minorities want to downplay the importance of the nuclear family to success.
Its affects are observable across all ethnic groups diminishing most of, if not all other factors favored by democrats from the conversation.

Its destruction(the black family) has been the single most devastating blow to our community.:wow:In my opinion of course.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Families headed by a single mother are by far the poorest family type, with families headed by a single father also high compared to married-couple families, but still their rates are half those of single-mother families: 2014 and 2015

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, Annual Social and Economic Supplements.

:ehh:Here are the numbers from the year the article he posted was written and the following year.

Not sure why so many minorities want to downplay the importance of the nuclear family to success.
Its affects are observable across all ethnic groups diminishing most of, if not all other factors favored by democrats from the conversation.

Its destruction(the black family) has been the single most devastating blow to our community.:wow:In my opinion of course.

Who's doing that? More people bringing in income increase the chances of generating wealth if all other nuclear factors are the same for the family.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes no doubt that racist policies in the past have contributed to the disadvantages that black people face today.

But I would also hope you understand that blacks and latinos aren’t the only groups of people who found themselves at the bottom of the economic ladder. Look at all the European immigrants that came here in the early 20th century. The Italians, the Irish, the Polish... all of these people were poor too and relegated to the ghettos. No one gave them anything. Now their families are typically middle/upper class.

This might not apply to you personally, but sometimes I get the vibe that people here have a real resentment towards rich people... especially people born into rich families. It’s not like this wealth came from thin air. If you trace the wealth of any family to it’s source you will find it began with a hard working and/or self made person.

If your grandparents were poor, and your parents were poor, and YOU’RE poor... my best advice to anyone would be to stop waiting for government to lift you up and get to work on it yourself. Nothing is stopping you. Start thinking about yourself and the future of your family.
I don’t want to give you a history lesson, European immigrants were allowed to move out of being an underclass solely on the basis of being White. Their newfound status was used to force AAs out of jobs, out of sections of urban areas, and into a place of being a semi-permanent underclass.
I’d suggest some reading, starting with The Warmth of Other Suns, and perhaps A People’s History of the United States, to give you basic context.

Your understanding of the feminization of poverty is almost laughably remedial.
It’s not single-motherhood, it’s the factors that have lead to the one-parent household that are arm-in-arm with perpetuated poverty that are the root of the issue.
Mass-incarceration, lower education, high-density high-poverty area, lack of social resources, having grown up impoverished, and lack of accessible middle-class jobs create the conditions.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.

Its destruction(the black family) has been the single most devastating blow to our community.
In my opinion of course.
It’s not single-motherhood, it’s the factors that have lead to the one-parent household that are arm-in-arm with perpetuated poverty that are the root of the issue.
Mass-incarceration, lower education, high-density high-poverty area, lack of social resources, having grown up impoverished, and lack of accessible middle-class jobs create the conditions.
I'm not sure if you are really disagreeing with my opinion?:patrice:

:francis:But we do disagree on the root cause.
The gap exist across all racial groups... including those not subject to many if not all of the factors you listed.
I believe the root cause is the welfare state.