Towboat deckhands - Not even GED or HS degree required

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know this is random for a sub-forum dedicated to IT, businesses, etc. but this is something I want people to keep in mind for friends and relatives who have no direction and minimal education. Of course my first advice to such people is the trades but some just don't have the focus to do that.

For those who don't know, a substantial amount of the USA agricultural produce, coal, and petro-chemicals is actually transported by barges, up and down the Mississippi, Ohio, and Illinois Rivers. I know this sounds like some Mark Twain shyt but the industry is still alive and well.

I have contacts (brehs) in the industry and they are DESPERATE for people right now. The lowest position on the ship is the deckhand (entry level) which does most of the manual work (securing barges, river lock stuff, ship maintenance and cleaning). Because of a law called the Jones Act, all the domestic boat staff have to be US citizens.

Anyway, most of these companies hire deckhands and only want minimal qualifications. Some don't even require a HS diploma or GED. You live on the boat, usually for a 28 day shift, and the work is hard (two daily 6 hours shifts), but you have housing and food paid for and make $150-250 per day. Therefore if someone is frugal they can bank money with minimal personal expenses. Typically hitches are 28 days on the boat and 28 off though some do 28 on 14 off.

Because of the long time away from home and hard work it is easiest for young folks with no GF, kids, etc. to worry about missing.

What you do have to have though is a TSA issued Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) that you apply for online, do an interview, and pay $135. It is basically a background check so that you aren't a threat by TSA/FBI. Also they do drug screens and pre-employment physicals.

As far as brehs with no certs and minimal education go, it is not a bad option. Only thing is you need to make it to port typically in Paducah, KY, St. Louis area, Louisiana, or Iowa/Minnesota for each hitch.

It's a job that pays decent for people with no skills and minimal educational background and you can get raises and increasing promotion if you stay on since turnover is so high. Higher level positions are tankermen that fill liquid barges or some get training and go back to school to get to the "wheelhouse" where the Captain/Pliot and first mate drive the towboat.The captains are guys without a bachelor degree making $100k-150k per year. Outside of IT or the trades, there are few other jobs that do that though of course it takes some years to get up there.

For brehs, in general it is best to go with one of the bigger firms for more opportunity and less :mjpls:

Top names are American Commercial Barge Line, Ingram Barge, Marquette Transportation (who will give travel reimbursements to hitches if they hire you), Kirby Corporation, Canal Barge Line, Florida Marine Transporters, and Campbell Transportation. Best jobs are the "linehaul" or "mainline" fleets going up and down the Mississippi. If you want any specifics PM me.

There are other similar jobs in the Great Lakes, Chesapeake Bay, etc. but you need a Merchant Marine Credential which is much more involved than a TWIC.

life-on-the-river-as-a-tow-boat-deckhand.webp

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Anyway, most of these companies hire deckhands and only want minimal qualifications. Some don't even require a HS diploma or GED. You live on the boat, usually for a 28 day shift, and the work is hard (two daily 6 hours shifts), but you have housing and food paid for and make $150-250 per day. Therefore if someone is frugal they can bank money with minimal personal expenses. Typically hitches are 28 days on the boat and 28 off though some do 28 on 14 off.
Off as in completely off to enjoy the bread you made or just off the boat and still working?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Off as in you go home and chill. 28/28 is 28 days on the boat on the river and then 28 days doing whatever you want with your bread
How do I apply the tax deduction on 150 x 28?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Not sure what you mean. They pay you a regular paycheck but your pay is evened out so you get the same check every two weeks whether you are on the boat or taking shore leave. Taxes are then paid like any other income.
150 x 28 = 4200
I want to know what it looks like after taxes