Trump has ordered that we obtain Greenland; Denmark PM & Greenland Premier reject Trump's request

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
The Danes ain’t selling and Greenlanders don’t want to be American. The MP in Danish parliament that represents Greenland’s just said on BBC that the Greenlanders don’t want to experience the American experience of how native populations are treated in Alaska and in lower 48. She also said they don’t want to have a gutted welfare state like the Americans.

Harry Truman tried to buy it for $100M and didn’t get it then either.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I am guessing there has been talk about the resources of Greenland or its strategic advantage as climate change advances...

That being said, everything is negotiable and if it does have merit, it is unfortunate to have it proposed by a president that utters so much bullshyt, that the good ideas in the mix are hard to pick out objectively.

But as @FAH1223 says, Denmark ain't selling. I doubt if US wants to shell out $11k per person per year like Denmark now. If EU goes into financial meltdown though maybe they will need the cash in the future though so who knows. I

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Thread title is click baity anyway

It has been reported that trump discussed it with various levels of seriousness he didnt order anything
He's meeting with Denmark, hence the timing. He'll surely bring it up
It's Trump.

That said, it's not a bad idea except we can't afford it. :troll:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Odd by even Trump standards...

I can't wait till this becomes a campaign promise

This isn't that odd in in the long-term view nor is it a policy to bring in more white people like some in here are posting.

Greenland acquisition is solely strategic in maintaining dominance over the Arctic Circle. With ice melting away, Russia, Canada, and the US are the best positioned to control those natural resources. I was reading about this last night actually. Denmark is open to getting rid of Greenland. I saw FAH posted some tweets stating otherwise, but those are just reactions to Trump talk, IMO. They have been open to it in recent years. Obviously they wouldn't sell to Russia so that leaves America and Canada. It should remain in a NATO country to keep the balance of power positioned well in EU. I dont think anything will come of this but its certainly interesting.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This isn't that odd in in the long-term view nor is it a policy to bring in more white people like some in here are posting.

Greenland acquisition is solely strategic in maintaining dominance over the Arctic Circle. With ice melting away, Russia, Canada, and the US are the best positioned to control those natural resources. I was reading about this last night actually. Denmark is open to getting rid of Greenland. I saw FAH posted some tweets stating otherwise, but those are just reactions to Trump talk, IMO. They have been open to it in recent years. Obviously they wouldn't sell to Russia so that leaves America and Canada. It should remain in a NATO country to keep the balance of power positioned well in EU. I dont think anything will come of this but its certainly interesting.

Have a link? I believe there would need to be a plebiscite even if the US offered the right number.

Denmark is in NATO. The US has bases in Greenland. I think we have even stationed nuclear weapons there during the Cold War....

It's certainly an interesting and fun conversation. The thing nagging me in the back of my mind is that we need to do more enhance the rights and protections of the territories we already have.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Have a link? I believe there would need to be a plebiscite even if the US offered the right number.

Denmark is in NATO. The US has bases in Greenland. I think we have even stationed nuclear weapons there during the Cold War....

It's certainly an interesting and fun conversation. The thing nagging me in the back of my mind is that we need to do more enhance the rights and protections of the territories we already have.

I cant seem to find the link right now but the article basically said Greenland has a ton of natural resources that will be exposed due to climate change - mainly oil and sand. The US also wanted to keep Russia & China out of the region and out of the Arctic.

Oil - The Greenland Gold Rush: Promise and Pitfalls of Greenland’s Energy and Mineral Resources
Sand - Promises and perils of sand exploitation in Greenland

The Chinese tried to get mining rights a few years back but I'm not sure if that went through. China Targets Greenland for Mining | YaleGlobal Online

Basically the US wants to make sure control of the resources doesn't fall into Russian or Chinese hands. They don't want Canada to have it either because it gives Canada a greater claim to the Arctic, which is ultimately what this is all about as the resources there most likely dwarf whats available in Greenland.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
We're gonna buy it and put a wall around it!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif