With all the bull shieet going on around them ,i think they need to align

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Okay, but should we applaud Erdogan for bringing that back?

I mean I know I've read during the cold war years it was essentially a military/mafia state maybe that's the next step after democracy/liberalism?

Nah, we shouldn't applaud that :heh:

But it seems history is repeating itself. Is Turkey better off now than in 2002? Hell yeah. Is Turkey going to have more political crises because of Erdogan and the AKP going back on some of their core issues that got them in power in the first place? Sure seems like it.

Honestly, the biggest problem Turkey has right now is all of the damn suicide bombings and terrorist attacks due to the Syrian war and Turkey's decisions of leaving the southern border wide open for years. The crackdown on journalism and media has been bad.

The military's power was defanged and although there are secularists in it who hate Erdogan, they agree with him on the country's foreign policy and the Gulenist purges..

DynamoEAR

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston/ATL
Nah, we shouldn't applaud that :heh:

But it seems history is repeating itself. Is Turkey better off now than in 2002? Hell yeah. Is Turkey going to have more political crises because of Erdogan and the AKP going back on some of their core issues that got them in power in the first place? Sure seems like it.

Honestly, the biggest problem Turkey has right now is all of the damn suicide bombings and terrorist attacks due to the Syrian war and Turkey's decisions of leaving the southern border wide open for years. The crackdown on journalism and media has been bad.

The military's power was defanged and although there are secularists in it who hate Erdogan, they agree with him on the country's foreign policy and the Gulenist purges..
Do we add Turkey to this list now?:lupe:

List of authoritarian regimes supported by the United States - Wikipedia

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
i like turkish people. i even have some friends who work for the diyanet

i dont understand their obsession with authority, though

If you look at recent Turkish history, the AKP's rise was the first time where you had a democracy without the control of the army. So in a sense, a lot of ordinary people were really running things. And then to put the secularists and army to behave and not interfere with elections and democratic processes, the AKP promised and implemented liberalization reforms to join the EU.

And during that time, the AKP run governments chipped away at the army's power, they've been defanged. The army is loyal to the government and despite the coup attempt, it was squashed rather quickly.

Now, the AKP won't join the EU because it's a national security risk and liability. That's why Erdogan trolls and pisses off the Europeans all the time, they can't do anything to him and he's basically threatening more refugee overflows and gotten billions of Euros for it from Merkel.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
If you look at recent Turkish history, the AKP's rise was the first time where you had a democracy without the control of the army. So in a sense, a lot of ordinary people were really running things. And then to put the secularists and army to behave and not interfere with elections and democratic processes, the AKP promised and implemented liberalization reforms to join the EU.

And during that time, the AKP run governments chipped away at the army's power, they've been defanged. The army is loyal to the government and despite the coup attempt, it was squashed rather quickly.

Now, the AKP won't join the EU because it's a national security risk and liability. That's why Erdogan trolls and pisses off the Europeans all the time, they can't do anything to him and he's basically threatening more refugee overflows and gotten billions of Euros for it from Merkel.
im speaking more on their view of governance, how people have elected to give their leader an even firmer hold on the country. they're obviously not the first and won't be the last, and im not even necessarily criticizing it, though i dont agree with it.

i'd say the same about old chileans i've met that say pinochet was what chile needed, or italian military officers i used to work for that still pine for mussolini. i dont get it