TV shopping, Samsung 82" Q8 or Sony 85" X900F?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Going to upgrade from my 65" Samsung KS8000, moving it to the bedroom, need something to replace it. Been a Samsung TV owner since 2015 have had 5 sets from them, no issues. Back in the day before 4K, Sony XBR series were part of my shopping list. I know Sony's new X900F series has gotten great reviews. Samsung's higher end Q series is also a favorite. Both sets are between $4,500 and $5K, just a few inches difference. I do like the fact that Sony has Android software, Samsung's Tizen is not a favorite.

My setup with the 65":
IMG_9870.jpg

Samsung Q8
Highlights

• UHD 3840 x 2160 LED Panel
  • HDR10, HDR10+, HLG Support
  • Motion Rate 240 for Reduced Motion Blur
  • Screen Mirroring Technology
  • Built-In Wi-Fi & Ethernet Connectivity
  • Full Web Browser
  • Access Samsung Smart Hub & Apps
  • 4 x HDMI / 2 x USB
  • Q Color with DCI-P3 Compatibility
  • Dolby Digital Plus
Features
View content at four times the resolution of 1080p with the Samsung Q8FN Series 82"-Class HDR UHD Smart QLED TV. This TV has a 81.5" LED-backlit LCD display, and incorporates Motion Rate 240 technology to digitally enhance fast-moving images to reduce blur. It is compatible with the HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG HDR formats to provide a wider color gamut with compatible content and other equipment for more vivid images.

The Q8FN has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity to allow access to your favorite apps and Internet-based content, plus content sharing and screen mirroring with your other smart devices such as your smartphone or tablet. With four HDMI inputs, there are multiple options for connecting high-definition video sources. Two USB ports are also onboard for connecting multimedia peripherals like flash drives.

Sony X900F
Highlights

• UHD 3840 x 2160 LED Panel
  • HDR10-, HLG-, Dolby Vision-Compatible
  • 120 Hz Refresh + Motionflow XR Digital
  • Screen Mirroring Technology
  • Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
  • Access the Google Play Store & Apps
  • Works with the Google Assistant & Alexa
  • 4 x HDMI / 3 x USB
  • 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme
Features
View content at four times the resolution of 1080p with the Sony X900F Series 85"-Class HDR UHD Smart LED TV. It has a 84.6" LED display, and incorporates Sony's Motionflow XR technology to digitally enhance fast-moving images to reduce blur. HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG compatibility provide a wide color gamut for compatible content.

The X900F series has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity to allow access to the Google Play store, your favorite apps, and Internet-based content via its Android operating system, plus content sharing and screen mirroring with your other compatible smart devices such as your smartphone or tablet. The Vewd web browser is also available for download through the Google Play store. With four HDMI inputs, there are multiple options for connecting high-definition video sources. A composite video input is also available for connecting legacy equipment, while three USB ports are onboard for connecting compatible multimedia peripherals like flash drives.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Sony 900f supports Dolby Atoms

Hmmm.... will have to look further into this. My AVR has Atmos 7.1.4

Honestly, a projector would be better. At some point going passed 60 inches is just pointless , when we're talking about resolution, best go with a projector, at most you'll be spending $1200, and take up less space.

I thought about a projector, however I use a few of the streaming apps on TV (Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube). I haven't looked to see if projectors have any apps to them.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Honestly, a projector would be better. At some point going passed 60 inches is just pointless , when we're talking about resolution, best go with a projector, at most you'll be spending $1200, and take up less space.
The thing is with projectors is that those bulbs go out. So if you plan on using one for MAD hours, you're going to burn through them. You might be spending more over time with heavy usage.

A flat screen will last longer unless it just malfunctions. I used to have a projector that I gamed on, and I had to get like 2 bulbs for it in 2 years.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
65in in the bedroom tho :leon:

You're bedroom must be big af

65" flat screens ain't that big nowadays tho. I got a 50" in the bedroom now and 65" in the living room that could easily fit in my bedroom and I don't think my bedroom (or house for that matter) is all that big.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
65" flat screens ain't that big nowadays tho. I got a 50" in the bedroom now and 65" in the living room that could easily fit in my bedroom and I don't think my bedroom (or house for that matter) is all that big.
:patrice:

I have a 70in in my studio/mancave that would be front row at the movie theater status if I put in my bedroom

:russ:

My bedroom is small tho, so that's why I asked

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Damn this is one of those casually shyt on other poster threads, but I'm not mad at all :whew:. I need to get my chips up on this level to make that home theater a reality :salute:

Why not go for the Masters Series Z9f Sony or an OLED?