U.S. Census Bureau: California has the highest poverty rate in the country

KingpinOG

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ohio
So. the U.S. state with best climate, most beautiful beaches, perpetual sunshine, longest coastline, most ports, great agriculture, and pretty much every other geographic advantage you would ever want also has the most poverty.

Vote for Democrats, brehs...........

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article2916749.html

Census Bureau: California still has highest U.S. poverty rate

By Dan Walters

dwalters@sacbee.com
10/16/2014 11:25 AM
10/17/2014 9:46 AM

California continues to have – by far – the nation’s highest level of poverty under an alternative method devised by the Census Bureau that takes into account both broader measures of income and the cost of living.

Nearly a quarter of the state’s 38 million residents (8.9 million) live in poverty, a new Census Bureau report says, a level virtually unchanged since the agency first began reporting on the method’s effects.

Under the traditional method of gauging poverty, adopted a half-century ago, California’s rate is 16 percent (6.1 million residents), somewhat above the national rate of 14.9 percent but by no means the highest. That dubious honor goes to New Mexico at 21.5 percent.

But under the alternative method, California rises to the top at 23.4 percent while New Mexico drops to 16 percent and other states decline to as low as 8.7 percent in Iowa.

The only other state to approach California in the alternate rankings is Nevada at 20 percent, although Washington, D.C., is close at 22.4 percent.

Ever since the Census Bureau first published its “supplemental poverty measure” rankings that placed California at the top a few years ago, poverty has evolved into a political issue.

It’s now routinely cited in official reports and legislative documents, and Neel Kashkari, the Republican candidate for governor, has tried to make it an issue in his uphill challenge to Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown, even spending several days in Fresno posing as a homeless person to dramatize it.

The Public Policy Institute of California used a similar methodology last year to gauge poverty in the state’s 58 counties, called a California Poverty Measure.

It pegged the statewide poverty rate at 22 percent and found some of the highest rates in the San Francisco Bay Area and coastal communities usually considered affluent due to their high costs of housing. Los Angeles had the highest rate in the state, 26.9 percent, followed by Napa at 25.5 percent.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article2916749.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Wonder what percentage are native compared to those who migrated for the weather and belief that people there would be more giving.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I've been here a month now and I can already see why this place is ass backwards. My first electric bill had a $40 credit and as I read on, I learned twice a year this happens as part of a climate change program that encourages customers to use those credits to increase energy efficiency, but doesn't have to spent on energy efficient items.

:mjlol:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've been here a month now and I can already see why this place is ass backwards. My first electric bill had a $40 credit and as I read on, I learned twice a year this happens as part of a climate change program that encourages customers to use those credits to increase energy efficiency, but doesn't have to spent on energy efficient items.

:mjlol:

With the $40 credit have you or do you plan on increasing energy efficiency? Or are you part of the problem you're decrying?

:ohhh:

RatherUnique

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy how different a poor neighborhood looks in say Compton or L.A when compared to Camden or Philadelphia. :scusthov:

Handsback

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not a big fan of this alternative method. Yeah, California is going to be more expensive than Iowa. No one should be surprised that earning the same amount in SF and potato country will not equate to the same quality of living. That's the cost of living in a large city.

I'm from Fresno. Absent cost of living factored in, the Central Valley has an incredibly high poverty rate. You can buy a house here for the rent of a studio in the nicer areas of LA. Most of us would still prefer to live in the nicer areas of the state.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
You don't find it interesting that California actually has the highest poverty rate when we are always told that Mississippi, Alabama, and all those other "teabagger" states are the poor states?

well they still rank as some of the poorest....at the end of the day it probably has a lot more to do with demographics (ie a bunch of illegals crossing the border than whether its a Dem or repub in office)

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
You don't find it interesting that California actually has the highest poverty rate when we are always told that Mississippi, Alabama, and all those other "teabagger" states are the poor states?
Theres more people in california than those other states combined dumbass. :stopitslime: