UFC Fight Night 29: Mai vs. Shields

Arson Welles

is the lightning
Daps
Reppin
The Gilead Gunslingers
I wouldn't say that, Shields did at least get a UFC WW title shot. Gilbert has only had one fight and a lot of people had him beating Bendo in their title fight. Josh Thomson became the 1st person to stop Nate Diaz in the UFC and is about to fight for the belt. Robbie Lawler has looked solid since coming over and Jacare has looked great.

On this card, I'm looking forward to seeing how Silva does against Stun Gun who is no joke.

The T.J/Raphael fight at BW is interesting as well. Dillashaw has looked really good since losing in the TUF Finale and Team Alpha Male has been on a roll.

Shields got the title shot because he was so hyped. He won a split descion over Martin Kampmann, and then jumped right to the title shot.

This article (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/20/4346870/strikeforce-vs-ufc-stats-by-the-numbers-mma), although being 4 and a half months old lays it out.

It's not a TERRIBLE record, but it's not a winning one, especially when a lot of these guys (Shields, Miller, Diaz, Melendez, Overeem) have all come in with a huge amount of hype, and underperformed.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Shields got the title shot because he was so hyped. He won a split descion over Martin Kampmann, and then jumped right to the title shot.

This article (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/20/4346870/strikeforce-vs-ufc-stats-by-the-numbers-mma), although being 4 and a half months old lays it out.

It's not a TERRIBLE record, but it's not a winning one, especially when a lot of these guys (Shields, Miller, Diaz, Melendez, Overeem) have all come in with a huge amount of hype, and underperformed.

Fair enough, but I still think a lot of those fighters haven't had a ton of fights yet. I could see someone like Gilbert or Rockhold (if he can get healthy) rebounding and having a lot of success.

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1.gif

tumblr_mud32toli61r4c1k8o1_500.jpg

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps

Saying Melendez underperformed is a joke.

Mayhem had hype? :heh:

Overall, the SF fighters have done okay. A few have underperformed (Overeem, Shields, etc.), while some have done well (Jacare, Lawler, Thomson, etc.)

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
yuuup, even tho Silva missed weight I think he's gonna hurt Hamill badly tomorrow.

I've always liked Thiago Silva, he seems like a knucklehead but he fights with such a damn mean streak.

-P-

Agreed. Too bad though, after missing weight, it's looking a must-win for him tomorrow.

profound

technique
Daps
didnt even know dah amma came out of retirement, he might be too tough for thiago

Last edited:

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
lol Shields will never get another title shot. I haven't been impressed with anything that he's done since he came over from Strikeforce. He got a gifted decision over Martin Kamperman imo.

I'll tune in to watch this tho.

Change

All Star
Daps
This card is the shyt imo for a Wed. There's a lot of good fighters on here. Should be great. There is a potential for some stinkers, but assuming things go for the best, it should be a great card. I love all the Brazil cards.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
What time does this start? Any card with thiago and toquino is guaranteed :russ:

Arson Welles

is the lightning
Daps
Reppin
The Gilead Gunslingers
Saying Melendez underperformed is a joke.

Mayhem had hype? :heh:

Overall, the SF fighters have done okay. A few have underperformed (Overeem, Shields, etc.), while some have done well (Jacare, Lawler, Thomson, etc.)

I'll concede that Melendez did well. But Mayhem was hyped for sure, at least by the UFC marketing team.