~ Underrated Recent Black Movies/Movies with Back Protagonists ~

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Personally I love black movies/movies with a black protagonist a lot. I've searched for similar threads on here and people mostly post old movies. Here's a list of great movies I watched with black protagonists.

Sundance releases a lot of great movies like this that never reach many theaters.

Brotherly Love (2015) - a lot of familiar faces in this movies. just check it out for yourself.

Beyond the Lights (2014) - this one is more well known.

From the Rough (2014) - Taraji P Henson stars in this and plays the first woman to become a collegiate men's golf team Catana Starks.

Gimme The Loot (2013)

Pariah (2011) - older movie about a black lesbian female protagonist still in the closet.

Dope (2015) - Was in theaters, saw it last summer I believe. Was a good movie.

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete (2013) - I liked this movie a lot and highly recommend it! The protagonists are a two boys black and asian. This was both their first major roles and they killed it. Movie is basically them surviving a summer in the ghetto and all the trials and tribulations that come with it. Jordin Sparks is in this movie.

Yelling To The Sky (2011) - This movie features Zoe Kravitz (she's the main character). First time I saw her :noah: Anyways, the movie is about her moving to the ghetto (I don't know from where), and facing drama both at home and school, and her growth as a teenager. I really liked this movie.

Life of a King (2013) - Movie starring Cuban Gooding Jr who plays a janitor who recently got out of a prison and starts a chess club at a school in an impoverished neighborhood. I saw this one recently and really liked it.

The Intouchables (2011) - saw this a couple months ago. Girl I was dating recommended it to me and it's a really great movie. Very funny too. It's a french movie though, so I watched it with English subtitles.

I'm gonna go back to a list I created and add more. I hope you enjoy watching these as I did. You can easily find them online with a quick google search.

Last edited: