Unsung Heroes In The Black Community: Stepfathers Get No Praise In The Black Community

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Disclaimer: Let me just say I have been raised by both my biological parents so before anyone says "OP's just gunning for stepfathers cause his father wasn't there".

For decades Black women have gone on tv and talked about how black men need to step up and that black men aren't raising their children. Single black mothers get all the praise, and even have been starting to claim Father's Day.

But how come step fathers get no praise? These men more often times than not are willing to commit to and build with a woman that has children by another man, and sometimes multiple men. These men raise these kids as their own flesh and blood and many times the single mother doesn't even give these men biological children of their own.

A lot of times these men are there so the woman is more financially secure. And many times get cheated on with the biological father, or some dude that would never step up and become a father to a single mother's kids.

And yet, they still step up and take the role of being a father to children that aren't theirs biologically. There are even men who unknowingly raise children that aren't theirs, find out and still want to be in said child(ren)'s lives.

These men go unnoticed in media, blogs catering to black women, etc.

If you asked me 5 years ago: "Could you date a single mother?" I would have told you yes. But due to all the horror stories I've heard and the cons outweighing the pros, today I have no interest whatsoever in dating single mothers.

Though these men are called simps and made a laughing stock of, I have respect for them because they are able to do something that I can't nor do not want to do.

How many children have been blessed with great stepfathers and positively impacted because of them?

Standing on business

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
They get made fun of on the coli

8B100DC9-3487-4BA0-871A-7CD35B670C99.jpg

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Stepfathers and positive male role models are definitely needed in our community. nikkas get clowned for trying to raise another man's child but then nikkas are :scust: at all the drugged out zombies and half fags out there that will be unfit to lead the community forward in the next decade or so.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
All true, Step Dads get absolutely no credit in the Black Community...atleast not vocally.

Ask Shaq about his Step Dad..read up on it.

My hats off to em ....feedin some deadbeats offspring? couldn't be me :hubie:
Yeah I didn't know until he got inducted into the Hall of Fame and I watched the documentary on it. He mentioned his stepfather and how much of a positive role model and impact he had on him.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Yeah I didn't know until he got inducted into the Hall of Fame and I watched the documentary on it. He mentioned his stepfather and how much of a positive role model and impact he had on him.
Yep, I think he called him Sarg (short for Sergent) ...kept him focused on off the streets of Newark. Did everything his BIO did never did.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
....I think a lot of black men are just fearful of the father showing back up/or the kid not ever warming up to him and saying the ever dreaded, "you're not my father anyway" (after raising him/her for 10-12 years). If I KNEW the dad was never going to be in the picture again and the kids were decent kids, I could probably do it. Only reason I hate on Russell is because he's an NFL athlete with a crazy amount of options and future was clearly a thug and he chose to make up for HER mistake by marrying her. At the end of the day, the better fathers are usually the one's without kids :manny: I can't even hate anymore because I'm not shooting into these pussies and avoiding doing it. As I get older though, it may be about that time to coat those walls :manny: