USA beats China to win the International Math Olympiad for the first time in 21 years

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
I assumed this, but didn't want to be offensive and say it.

Even though his parents are in STEM, they should create a guide that others can follow. I mean of course none of us really want our kids taking AP Physics in the 5th grade, but it would be cool to understand what their learning techniques were. I'm sure they threw him into a bunch of overpriced learning courses as well.

I study academic success as a hobby. I'll post a few things without taking over the thread.

I have found that a child needs to be isolated in order to be academically successful. By isolated, I mean that they need to be kept away from people who think their academic interests are strange or may ridicule the child. Ideally kids should be homeschooled or in a private school where others share many of their interests. Kids with autism have the ability to isolate themselves and focus on academics without worrying about what others say. An average child can graduate high school at 12 or 14 with appropriate mental stimulation starting at birth.

This book isn't very good, but better than nothing. Jacob Barnett, born 1998, taught himself calculus in two weeks. He got his master's in physics at 15 or 16 and is now studying for his Ph.D.

41VTjehJAxL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
I have seen two International Math Olympiad documentaries. The American one is Hard Problems which I don't see on YouTube at this moment. The British one is Beautiful Young Minds. There is significant autism on the British team.

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
@tru_m.a.c

Romanieo Golphin, Jr. is an average child who knows high level science. His parents developed audio-visual techniques to teach him. His father dropped out of Howard, is a composer, speaks fluent Russian and currently works as the operations manager for the music department at UNC. His mother has a BS from Howard and a Ph.D. in psychology from Michigan.

Multiplying Black Genius

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
Carson Huey-You was born with many of his abilities. He started high school at 5 and graduated with a 4.0 and 1770 SAT.
At 11, he is the youngest to attend TCU where he is a physics major.

His father is a former pilot and his stay at home mother chaperones him at college. His 7 year-old brother, Caanan, is in 8th grade and should graduate high school at 13.

TCU admits 11-year-old first-year student | TCU 360

CHL

Superstar
Daps
@tru_m.a.c

Romanieo Golphin, Jr. is an average child who knows high level science. His parents developed audio-visual techniques to teach him. His father dropped out of Howard, is a composer, speaks fluent Russian and currently works as the operations manager for the music department at UNC. His mother has a BS from Howard and a Ph.D. in psychology from Michigan.

Multiplying Black Genius

:mindblown: :ohhh:

无名的

Superstar
Daps
Surprising the US has Asians on the squad when over half the world population is Asian

:beli:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was surprised to only see three Asians on the team. In recent years the US team has averaged 4 or 5 Asians.

2015 results:
1. US 3 Asians
2. China 6 Asians
3. Korea 6 Asians
4. North Korea 6 Asians
5. Vietnam 6 Asians
6. Australia 4 Asians
7. Iran :ehh:
8. Russia 0 Asians
9. Canada 5 1/2 Asians
10. Singapore 6 Asians

Peru (0 Asians) was 16th, tied for their best ever result. Mexico (0 Asians) was 19th, their best result ever. They beat Japan (6 Asians) who was 22nd, their worst ever result.

One of the kids on the Australian team had a Russian sounding name.

International Mathematical Olympiad

4 pages deep...and nobody wants to address the 10,000lb elephant in the room?
qBeU45s.png

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
Carson Huey-You was born with many of his abilities. He started high school at 5 and graduated with a 4.0 and 1770 SAT.
At 11, he is the youngest to attend TCU where he is a physics major.

His father is a former pilot and his stay at home mother chaperones him at college. His 7 year-old brother, Caanan, is in 8th grade and should graduate high school at 13.

Carson Huey-You, age 14, graduated from TCU on May 13, 2017 with a degree in physics, minoring in math and Chinese. He will start graduate school at TCU in the fall. His brother Caanan, age 11, graduated high school and will enter TCU in the fall majoring in physics and astronomy.

college-graduate1.jpg