Video: Mobb Deep feat. The LOX - All A Dream

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Video has a real 90's feel to it. I dig it.

I think they realized looking at the album that this song is probably the best to put out. Honestly the singles didn't really grab a lot of people. "Take You Off Here" and "Say Something" were straight but "All A Dream" was clearly the standout track considering Mobb and Lox never did an official collabo.

Totally agree. No matter how dope a Mobb joint is, any video from them in 2014 is just going to be "another Mobb Deep video." If they made a really gritty video with Waterboarding I think it could go over well, but this was the best choice IMO.

Someone was telling me they wish the beat was a little harder since it was Mobb and Lox but this beat fit perfectly IMO, definitely had a 90's feel with the sample. Don't get me wrong though. Would of loved a 90's Hav beat with Mobb and The Lox. This is the closest we going to get to that:

Still wished Hav and P got on this in the 90's. I mean Hav did produce it. Would of been fire with Big, Lox and Mobb Deep:

slir

I'll try to find a link for the source, but the fukked up thing is that Prodigy was offered to be on it and declined. Maybe that's not how it went down, but he said that he definitely could've been on the song. I think he said that he didn't think it would be that dope? I wish I could remember why he didn't do it. yeah like you said, Hav already did the beat, so Mobb, LOX, and Biggie on a Hell on Earth era instrumental could have made this arguably the GOAT NYC posse joint.

Here's some stuff about Havoc losing the beat for Last Day and having to remake it.

:merchant: at Puffy saying "i want the fukking beat I paid for!"

Havoc Says The Original Version Of Notorious B.I.G.’s “Last Day” Was Lost
DX: Going back to your statement about holding New York down, what do you remember most about working with B.I.G. and The Lox on “Last Day?”

Havoc: [Diddy] commissioned me to do a track for him. Back in those days, we recorded on reel to reel [tapes], and somehow the original track got lost. I don’t know how—I guess somebody maybe was hatin’ or some shyt. But I had to do another track that sounded similar to the one that you hear now. I remember being in the studio doing the track, and [The Notorious] B.I.G. was in the other room recording. I remember Puff coming in there, and just making sure everything was smooth. It was pretty normal, and Puff was cool. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I did what I had to do, and I was out.

DX: So, technically fans have never heard the original version of “Last Day” that you did with Biggie?

Havoc: Yeah, the final is different, and Puff was pissed. He was literally pissed like, “Yo, I want the fukkin’ beat I paid for!” He was not playing. And I was like, “Yo, shyt got misplaced…” And that’s enough to make you not even be fukkin’ part of the project. That’s enough to make someone say, “You know what? fukk it. Give me my money back.” But he had faith in me. I did the beat over, and that didn’t happen.

DX: That’s pretty wild. We’re coming up on the 20th anniversary of Juvenile Hell. What’s the biggest difference with Havoc from 1993 through 2013?

Havoc: I’m a bit more critical of the music I do. Back then, it was really untapped energy. I wasn’t really worried about what would play on the radio, and I was just doing music. More and more, as you get into the industry, you get that pressure of radio. Now I’m in a zone where I don’t give a fukk about radio no more. I would appreciate it, but these days, it’s just like, “Let me just do what I do.” I don’t have that pressure anymore, and it actually feels good.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Video has a real 90's feel to it. I dig it.

Totally agree. No matter how dope a Mobb joint is, any video from them in 2014 is just going to be "another Mobb Deep video." If they made a really gritty video with Waterboarding I think it could go over well, but this was the best choice IMO.

I'll try to find a link for the source, but the fukked up thing is that Prodigy was offered to be on it and declined. Maybe that's not how it went down, but he said that he definitely could've been on the song. I think he said that he didn't think it would be that dope? I wish I could remember why he didn't do it. yeah like you said, Hav already did the beat, so Mobb, LOX, and Biggie on a Hell on Earth era instrumental could have made this arguably the GOAT NYC posse joint.

Here's some stuff about Havoc losing the beat for Last Day and having to remake it.

:merchant: at Puffy saying "i want the fukking beat I paid for!"

Havoc Says The Original Version Of Notorious B.I.G.’s “Last Day” Was Lost
DX: Going back to your statement about holding New York down, what do you remember most about working with B.I.G. and The Lox on “Last Day?”

Havoc: [Diddy] commissioned me to do a track for him. Back in those days, we recorded on reel to reel [tapes], and somehow the original track got lost. I don’t know how—I guess somebody maybe was hatin’ or some shyt. But I had to do another track that sounded similar to the one that you hear now. I remember being in the studio doing the track, and [The Notorious] B.I.G. was in the other room recording. I remember Puff coming in there, and just making sure everything was smooth. It was pretty normal, and Puff was cool. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I did what I had to do, and I was out.

DX: So, technically fans have never heard the original version of “Last Day” that you did with Biggie?

Havoc: Yeah, the final is different, and Puff was pissed. He was literally pissed like, “Yo, I want the fukkin’ beat I paid for!” He was not playing. And I was like, “Yo, shyt got misplaced…” And that’s enough to make you not even be fukkin’ part of the project. That’s enough to make someone say, “You know what? fukk it. Give me my money back.” But he had faith in me. I did the beat over, and that didn’t happen.

DX: That’s pretty wild. We’re coming up on the 20th anniversary of Juvenile Hell. What’s the biggest difference with Havoc from 1993 through 2013?

Havoc: I’m a bit more critical of the music I do. Back then, it was really untapped energy. I wasn’t really worried about what would play on the radio, and I was just doing music. More and more, as you get into the industry, you get that pressure of radio. Now I’m in a zone where I don’t give a fukk about radio no more. I would appreciate it, but these days, it’s just like, “Let me just do what I do.” I don’t have that pressure anymore, and it actually feels good.

Yeah at the time P was honestly more on the NaS/Wu side so he wasn't messing with Biggie but Mobb honestly always had love. Havoc and Big actually have the same B Day. Puffy was in the "Survival of the Fittest" Video:

2m510ut.jpg

And they were on both posthumous Biggie albums. I think P said Biggie took "nikkas Bleed" from them but P had some lines he took from Big too. Big definitely had love for the Mobb Sound. He spit "Long Kiss Goodnight" over the "Hell on Earth" beat over his last freestyle. Loved the Mobb Deep "What's Beef" Remix:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yeah at the time P was honestly more on the NaS/Wu side so he wasn't messing with Biggie but Mobb honestly always had love. Havoc and Big actually have the same B Day. Puffy was in the "Survival of the Fittest" Video:

2m510ut.jpg

And they were on both posthumous Biggie albums. I think P said Biggie took "nikkas Bleed" from them but P had some lines he took from Big too. Big definitely had love for the Mobb Sound. He spit "Long Kiss Goodnight" over the "Hell on Earth" beat over his last freestyle. Loved the Mobb Deep "What's Beef" Remix:

2m510ut.jpg

Never knew that was Puff in the Survival video. That's cool.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I think Mobb Deep and The Lox should do a collabo album. If The Lox can do "Wu Block" they should do an album with Mobb. It doesn't have to be anything major. Just an independent EP or something.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I just @'d a few people quickly. But you should have been there!

I feel the love man.

In his book - P said he thought Big was wack at the time. He realizes now he was wrong of course.

Yep! That was it. Damn. Prodigy was at his peak in that era too. I feel like P could've outdid everyone on that song possibly.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I think Mobb Deep and The Lox should do a collabo album. If The Lox can do "Wu Block" they should do an album with Mobb. It doesn't have to be anything major. Just an independent EP or something.

hell yeah. Make it 5-7 joints even. Get Hav and ALC to produce the whole thing. Maybe try to get something from Preem on there.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps

If that ever happened, Id probably buy my first cd in a good decade..
The spittage would be superior, the beats would be superior..they can do it all themselves inhouse..

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I think the large professor needs placements on there...

I haven't heard much preemo lately, but LP has been in a zone these past years

Preem just dropped this a few weeks ago and I think it's one of his harder beats in a long time. The beat switches between the hook and verses are real dope.