"Voter suppression laws should stay in place because minorities are voting too much"

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Black Turnout in Alabama Complicates Debate on Voting Laws

But research, particularly of voter ID laws in Texas, Wisconsin and other states, provides an imprecise picture of how much similar laws suppress turnout. And Eitan Hersh, a Tufts University political scientist who contributed to the analysis of Texas’ strict voter ID law, said research indicated that voter ID laws could alter very close elections but might not be as influential as some critics claim.

“These laws are complicated to assess,” Mr. Hersh said. “Alabama was a place where there was a lot of campaigning, and when campaigns liven up, you have a lot of mobilization efforts” that could offset the effect of an ID law on turnout.

A lawsuit challenging aggressive purging of voter rolls in Ohio, where thousands of legitimate voters have been removed from the rolls, will next month go before the United States Supreme Court; the case could give similar plans a red or green light. The court is also considering arguments over the constitutionality of partisan gerrymandering, which computer technology has turned into an evermore powerful tool.

Alabama’s secretary of state, John H. Merrill, said allegations of irregularities, from the left and right, in the Dec. 12 election were not borne out. “It’s just people making things up, and they think they can because of what they’ve observed that happened before or what our history has been,” said Mr. Merrill, a Republican.

“I do think that very committed, focused people will find a way” to cast ballots, said Ms. Brown, the co-founder of the Black Voters Matter Fund. ”But is that fair? If you put a rock on my foot and I beat you in the race, that still doesn’t make it O.K. that you put a rock on my foot.”

I predict certain reactions from certain personalities, but to avoid affecting outcomes, I shan't name names.:troll:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
:comeon:

This would only make sense if the reason people didn't have IDs was because the wait time was too long.
Sarcasm my friend. Sarcasm. There are plenty of reasons why people don't have the necessary ID to vote. By and large because republicans who favor voter ID have done a dual threat of picking the types of ID that blacks/minorities do not have and then subsequently finding ways to close down the offices in black areas that would allow them to get those IDs.

mc_brew

#NotMyPresident
Daps
Reppin
the black cat is my crown...
I mean, who doesn't have an ID in 2017. If you can wait. In line for Jordans and iPhones surely you could wait an hour to get a government ID. :troll:
Voter ID laws have absolutely no affect on elections whatsoever. It's just a liberal tactic to keep blacks voting for white slave masters.

Bow down to me, the God Emperor. I rule Higher Learning!

:troll:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Alabama’s secretary of state, John H. Merrill, said allegations of irregularities, from the left and right, in the Dec. 12 election were not borne out. “It’s just people making things up, and they think they can because of what they’ve observed that happened before or what our history has been,” said Mr. Merrill, a Republican.

It's not fair, they're using our history and what's happened before to suggest that it will happen again! :sadbron:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
How hard is it for democrats to mobilize to make sure voters get their id?
Think about it like this. I live in NC. I went to renew my plate and update my license since moved.

I get to the main DMV office in Mecklenburg county.

Around election time they made it so you could no longer get your tag and your license at the same location. That's a hurdle, most people are going choose their tag overhanging their address because one gets you pulled over the other one doesn't. However if voter ID laws were in place you would not have valid ID if you moved districts or changed your voter registration.

Once I updated my address they didn't print me out my license, instead they ship it to you and that can take up to three weeks. They give you a piece of paper that you can use if you're pulled over for a traffic violation, but that paper picture ID says it's not a valid form of identification. So you can't drink or vote with it legally. Another hurdle.

In North Charlotte (a black concentrated area) they closed both the license, testing, tag and title facilities for the DMV. Meaning there is no agency that services that area. The building is still there, they just don't offer services. Another road block.

Ironically, they have a lot of tag renewal shops in the hood but no licensing agencies. :jbhmm:

This is in one of the largest cities in the country and NCs largest liberal city. I can only imagine what's going down in smaller towns and if they even have an office at all.

Instead of asking what can democrats do to help make sure voters can circumvent and unjust law, why don't we ask what can be do stop Republicans from. Passing them. In the first place. We already know why. :sas2:

Nikki_04

All Star
Daps
Think about it like this. I live in NC. I went to renew my plate and update my license since moved.

I get to the main DMV office in Mecklenburg county.

Around election time they made it so you could no longer get your tag and your license at the same location. That's a hurdle, most people are going choose their tag overhanging their address because one gets you pulled over the other one doesn't. However if voter ID laws were in place you would not have valid ID if you moved districts or changed your voter registration.

Once I updated my address they didn't print me out my license, instead they ship it to you and that can take up to three weeks. They give you a piece of paper that you can use if you're pulled over for a traffic violation, but that paper picture ID says it's not a valid form of identification. So you can't drink or vote with it legally. Another hurdle.

In North Charlotte (a black concentrated area) they closed both the license, testing, tag and title facilities for the DMV. Meaning there is no agency that services that area. The building is still there, they just don't offer services. Another road block.

Ironically, they have a lot of tag renewal shops in the hood but no licensing agencies. :jbhmm:

This is in one of the largest cities in the country and NCs largest liberal city. I can only imagine what's going down in smaller towns and if they even have an office at all.

Instead of asking what can democrats do to help make sure voters can circumvent and unjust law, why don't we ask what can be do stop Republicans from. Passing them. In the first place. We already know why. :sas2:

Wow that's crazy. It's already annoying going to the DMV, but making it THAT much more difficult will definitely keep a lot of people from wanting to get their ID.

On the other hand, I can't imagine not having my ID.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Racism / Race Baiting
Do you guys know how to read? The article is suggesting that voter suppression laws do not effect elections and the predictions of voter oppression have not come true

The closing of dmvs is horrible but it’s not gonna change elections, except for anecdotal stories there is basically zero evidence that black voters lack id

But either way, the goal should be to make sure everybody has an id, not for voting, but for economy development, you need an I’d to open a bank account, get a business license, travel etc

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The closing of dmvs is horrible but it’s not gonna change elections, except for anecdotal stories there is basically zero evidence that black voters lack id

But you read the article....

But the gravest fears of Alabama’s critics were not realized. Some of that reflected years of advocacy by voting rights groups, including the concerted pushback that led the state, in 2015, to back away from a plan to close 31 driver’s license offices in rural areas, many of them predominantly black.

:mjlol:

If you read the article you'd see that voting ID laws had varying affects on voters in different states.

It did not say voter ID laws had no effect.

For example:

In Texas, where federal courts have invalidated parts of one of the nation’s toughest ID laws, a detailed analysis concluded that 3.6 percent of white registered voters in Texas lacked any legally acceptable ID — and 5.7 percent of Hispanic voters, and 7.5 percent of African-Americans. But among more likely voters who cast ballots in the 2010 and 2012 elections, only 1.4 percent lacked a valid ID. An estimated 600,000 registered voters lacked a photo ID that qualified them to vote under the law.

That's only 600k registered voters....

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
But you read the article....

:mjlol:

If you read the article you'd see that voting ID laws had varying affects on voters in different states.

It did not say voter ID laws had no effect.

For example:

That's only 600k registered voters....

you are just babbling

the bottom line is that there is a huge thread where yall are crying about about voter id laws, i was saying voter id laws are not an important issue because they dont really stop black from voting and there is no evidence that black people lack ids, the article is basically saying all the whining turned out to be irrelevant and inconclusive

its very obvious yall did not read the article, it contradicts all the fear mongering going in that one thread, i was about to post that article myself, it backs up what i was saying