VOTING POLL: Is Racism A Human Behavior? (Do You Think It's Human Nature To Hate People Unlike You?)

Do You Agree Racism Is A Human Behavior That's Embedded In Us?

• Total voters

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
:russ: @ the soft nikkas in this thread saying it isnt natural to be racist. You nikkas are the reasons blacks always get taken advantage of. On some everyone should love each other and hold hands shyt:mjlol:. If nikkas werent so caught up on making friends with the enemy, we wouldnt be in the position that we are today.:stopitslime:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
2 of them. My daughter (10 months) is naturally afraid of some things. Sure, you may learn to fear some things, but fear itself is a survival instinct
Fear (in the general sense) is a learned response. There is a ton of physiological research done into this subject. I actually had to take a few phycology classes in college and we discussed fear quite a bit. There are only a few fears humans are born with, some of which are the fear of falling, loud noises, and being alone. Most other fears are learned, either directly through one's own experiences, or indirectly by witnessing another person's emotional or physical reaction to something. I pulled the information below from a website:

"The New York University study is the first to examine the brain basis of fears acquired indirectly, through the observation of others. The study shows that the amygdala, which is known to be critical to the acquisition and expression of fears from personal experience, is also involved during the acquisition and expression of fears obtained indirectly through social observation.
The findings appear in the most recent issue of the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience.
Previous research has shown how people develop fears after first-hand experience of an aversive event—getting stung by a bee or being burned by a hot pan. In acquiring these fears, a process known as fear conditioning, the brain’s amygdala plays a critical role."

How Fear is Learned

I have 2 children, a 9 year old and a 6 month old. The 9 year old never showed any kind of fear towards anything until she actually fell and hit the floor for the first time. My 6 month old consistently tries to roll off the bed from a height that would easily hurt him. He grabs and tugs at our dogs' face. What I've seen in life is we learn to fear things, and when we have no control over the things we fear and are exposed to them long enough, we learn to hate that which we fear.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Tribalism is. We all identify us and them. Family. Friends. Nation. Sports team. We all do it.

Allowing the distinction between us and them to ignore culture, belief and behaviour and instead fall along lines of skin colour is no more logical than allowing it to fall along hair colour though - if we can see how ridiculous it'd be to do with hair colour, we can avoid the skin colour trap too.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
No, it's not a natural human behavior because if we really get down to it we are all HUMANS. So the differences of humans based on adaptations to environment, etc. and the belief that one sect has superior qualities over others based merely off of those differences is all learned. I agree that some of the responses seen here give whites a way out of there inhumane treatment of other people who don't look like them or share their culture, beliefs etc.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Fear (in the general sense) is a learned response. There is a ton of physiological research done into this subject. I actually had to take a few phycology classes in college and we discussed fear quite a bit. There are only a few fears humans are born with, some of which are the fear of falling, loud noises, and being alone. Most other fears are learned, either directly through one's own experiences, or indirectly by witnessing another person's emotional or physical reaction to something. I pulled the information below from a website:

"The New York University study is the first to examine the brain basis of fears acquired indirectly, through the observation of others. The study shows that the amygdala, which is known to be critical to the acquisition and expression of fears from personal experience, is also involved during the acquisition and expression of fears obtained indirectly through social observation.
The findings appear in the most recent issue of the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience.
Previous research has shown how people develop fears after first-hand experience of an aversive event—getting stung by a bee or being burned by a hot pan. In acquiring these fears, a process known as fear conditioning, the brain’s amygdala plays a critical role."

How Fear is Learned

I have 2 children, a 9 year old and a 6 month old. The 9 year old never showed any kind of fear towards anything until she actually fell and hit the floor for the first time. My 6 month old consistently tries to roll off the bed from a height that would easily hurt him. He grabs and tugs at our dogs' face. What I've seen in life is we learn to fear things, and when we have no control over the things we fear and are exposed to them long enough, we learn to hate that which we fear.

Seems like we agree in everything but the wording. I agree that a majority of things are learned fears. I also agree with your list of innate fears; specifically, I thought about the fear of falling as a definite one. I just mean that fear itself is still an emotion that is built in for self preservation.
And yea my daughter be freaking me out being playful (reckless) on that tall ass bed LOL.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
:russ: @ the soft nikkas in this thread saying it isnt natural to be racist. You nikkas are the reasons blacks always get taken advantage of. On some everyone should love each other and hold hands shyt:mjlol:. If nikkas werent so caught up on making friends with the enemy, we wouldnt be in the position that we are today.:stopitslime:
Could you go into detail? Also, we are Black not nikkas :stopitslime:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:Little kids of all skin tones play together during recess every day b

Even kids show racial discrimination. Racist socialize with people they think inferior of all the time.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I voted NO but there is a grey area there to be honest with you.

Just look at the behavior of animals. Some of them dislike those that are different too

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
My life experiences tell me the opposite....... and yes,I have a kid..... but when you say fear... what are these "things" that we learn to fear?
Your life experiences tell you its natural to fear?
"Things" is a variable that can be anything. A child isn't born afraid of snakes or "the boogeyman".