Wale signs to Def Jam

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably the most accurate….a lot of folk waaay off citing washed Hall of Famers like Wale was ever on that level….Oladipo sounds bout right , former high draft pick that had a couple decent seasons so he wasn’t a complete flop…never realized his potential though, and is washed now
Close Thread.

Sugarbush

Sucka Free
Supporter
Daps
1222a418cac70dd0cdb1b19720e78ce03730596dr1-626-475v2_uhq.jpg

Daps
Wale still with MMG tho isn't he? If so, this is probably just a distribution deal which expired once he left Warner/Atlantic.

JohnStarksMiddleFinger

Benz L. Bo$$ington
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
Probably the most accurate….a lot of folk waaay off citing washed Hall of Famers like Wale was ever on that level….Oladipo sounds bout right , former high draft pick that had a couple decent seasons so he wasn’t a complete flop…never realized his potential though, and is washed now

It’s crazy to think there was a point in time when you could make the argument that Wale deserved to be at the table with Cole, Kendrick, and Drake

He even got lapped by Big Sean

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lot of veteran rappers have been signing major label deals lately. While I can appreciate older guys getting one last bag I can't help but wonder what the end goal is. Especially for a label like Def Jam which has been struggling lately. I have a LOT of respect for Tunji, their CEO but...I just don't see any vision in the signings.

Wale definitely talented enough to hit the right hook/melody for a hit at any time but I don't think it's gonna happen at this part of his career.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Lot of veteran rappers have been signing major label deals lately. While I can appreciate older guys getting one last bag I can't help but wonder what the end goal is. Especially for a label like Def Jam which has been struggling lately. I have a LOT of respect for Tunji, their CEO but...I just don't see any vision in the signings.

Wale definitely talented enough to hit the right hook/melody for a hit at any time but I don't think it's gonna happen at this part of his career.
I read a long article about all these acts Def Jam had and were hoping to develop for real. I haven't heard of any of them since. the TJ Porter's, the Fetty Luciano's, none of em. The 0207 Def Jam label has at least been ok, but look up and down their roster and I couldn't tell you what half that roster even has for a song. It's 100x worse when any semblance of young talent who does pop off got claimed by someone else.

Botching Durk in hindsight will be the worst thing that happened to them in 10 years.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Def Jam died when Shakir Stewart committed suicide and LA Reid left...

Ross was there for 9 years so maybe he'll give Wale some pointers.