Wale signs to Def Jam

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
Wale on Cole level to me. Shoot Wale got more songs that bang off in the culture than Cole. If Cole and Wale were to swap discographies

Wales position would go down while Cole's would go up. He would be closer to Drake status.

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
Wale is dope but I have a feeling we’re about to get a corny Heatmaka lazy remix of a classic R&B song…

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Def Jam died when Shakir Stewart committed suicide and LA Reid left...

Ross was there for 9 years so maybe he'll give Wale some pointers.

They had a lowest of low key resurgence runs in 2012 when Joie Manda was the president at least terms of quality projects coming out consistently (Channel Orange, Good Summer, Life is Good, Ross shyt etc) and theres beeen some acclaimed albums here and there but yeah its been a weird run since (The Good music 5 album 2018 run was a disaster in some ways)

They've had some great upcoming acts but not really elevated them like they should (VInce Staples) but they'e done this weird run of bringing legends for one or two album deals (Common, Big Boi, Snoop,Bringng back Public Enemy, DMX) and Im not sure why because their marketing machine has been broken on and off since about 2006, so you're not even getting Def Jam push.

Too many mergers, too many people coming from the outside to head up the label instead of developing execs in house who move up with the artists (I think thats why Irv was a success there along with X and Jay and Ja). Classic corporate structure trapfalls you see in many industries

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
Wale is more like Stephon Marbury tier..

The fact hes still trying to get on a major with no leverage speaks volumes. Id like to know what type of contract this is, if its distribution then it would make sense..

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't he have his own imprint called Blue Moon or something?

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i wonder why he keeps signing to major labels as much as he complains about them

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I dunno, Shabazz Napier to Washington.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
Wrestling terms:

:francis:

0440d-16973799851417-1920.jpg

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
They had a lowest of low key resurgence runs in 2012 when Joie Manda was the president at least terms of quality projects coming out consistently (Channel Orange, Good Summer, Life is Good, Ross shyt etc) and theres beeen some acclaimed albums here and there but yeah its been a weird run since (The Good music 5 album 2018 run was a disaster in some ways)

They've had some great upcoming acts but not really elevated them like they should (VInce Staples) but they'e done this weird run of bringing legends for one or two album deals (Common, Big Boi, Snoop,Bringng back Public Enemy, DMX) and Im not sure why because their marketing machine has been broken on and off since about 2006, so you're not even getting Def Jam push.

Too many mergers, too many people coming from the outside to head up the label instead of developing execs in house who move up with the artists (I think thats why Irv was a success there along with X and Jay and Ja). Classic corporate structure trapfalls you see in many industries
Yup signing vets is a Def Jam staple and it rarely works out, going back at least 20 years now. For instance they signed Jadakiss after the Versuz. He hasn't dropped anything and is on record saying he doesn't think people care about new music from him. He's probably right in the grand scheme of things, but you still gotta try right. The label does it because they think the ground work (building a fanbase, name brand, etc) has already been done but you need more than that. Especially today with sales numbers that are based on constant consumption. At one point it may have made sense to sign someone who does 40k first week, goes on tour, and then does whatever promotion stuff you need to make money. Now for older artists if they manage to do 40k or less, they're falling off the charts completely in week two. Which means you gotta put them on the road...but is a veteran artist going to sign a 360? Many do. I have no idea whether Wale did or didn't. I assume so. You can put him on the road, send him to festivals, have him open up for other acts etc. But none of that is keeping the lights on at Def Jam so the same frustrations Wale has had with previous labels will creep up again IMO.