was Michael a better Godfather then Vito?

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mike.

1. He doesn't have the attachment to family that Vito does. Vito backs down from a war to protect Michael and Fredo after he sees what happens to Sonny. Michael kills Fredo because he is a weakspot.

Vito didn't back down to protect Mike and Fredo. He step up a meeting for peace talks because he knew that Tattaglia and Sollozzo were being backed by one of the other bosses and he needed to figure out which one. In the scene after the meeting when he's in the car with Tom he tells him that he knew someone was backing them but he didn't know until then that it was Barzini. He wanted Mike back because he'd be useful once they made the move to go back to war but Fredo stayed in the bushes where he belonged because he would only be in the way.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
def Vito. even his rise to power was just :wow: .... young vito came up in the game around prohibition time. made a name for himself and held his neighborhood down. was the architect who planned and carried out the hit on don fanucci. like someone said earlier he was feared, respected, and LOVED. he was a very warm and approachable don. mike was more cold and hard. plus if you read the book back when he was coming up in new york capone tried to send some goons up there to encroach on his territory. lol my nicca vito and luca brasi sent them niccas back in body bags son. vito was one of the "mustache petes" he was old fashioned but was very wise and i agree would NEVER have murked his brother. he held family over EVERYTHING.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Vito was that dude, cuzzins.

Vito made you love him. He was down for his peoples and his 'hood.

Mike was effective, but you gotta remember before he got in the "family business" he was a soldier.
He was trained to be a killa.

He didn't really retrospect mafia game over his own ambitions.
I mean...more than anything else, he wanted to be legit. Imo, he was trying to take the fast way
to achieve it (i.e. when Vito died, he said "F this, imma murk all the heads of the families and Moe Greene
then move my whole compound and sew up Vegas")...

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree. Mike was a cold nikka. Vito was more cunning, and approachable. But I argue that Vito wouldn't have had the heart to kill Fredo. As cold as a move it was, Mike made the right call. Fredo would've got hemmed up by the feds eventually and sung. He had snitch written all over him. He would've ruined the Corleone's.

SkillClash

Banned
Daps
I agree. Mike was a cold nikka. Vito was more cunning, and approachable. But I argue that Vito wouldn't have had the heart to kill Fredo. As cold as a move it was, Mike made the right call. Fredo would've got hemmed up by the feds eventually and sung. He had snitch written all over him. He would've ruined the Corleone's.

so which begs the question...if Sonny lived, would Sonny of been more like Vito or Michael?

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think as hot-headed as Sonny was, he loved his family. He probably would've given Fredo a pass. It's kind of interesting, the quiet, well-to-do son, who wanted nothing to do with the mob was the most heartless in the family. Michael was his own man. And made his own rules.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Vito, because he schooled Michael how to strategize. In Godfather 1, all the power moves Michael made planned by Vito. There's no way in hell Michael would've see the hit coming unless father didn't warn him. If Vito died during the first hit, The Corleone family wouldn't last in the war against the other families. In fact, it was Michael that made things escalate by shooting Sollozzo and the Police Chief. Without force Mike is nothing really. I can't recall a scene where he uses his wits to win a situation, everything is done by carrying out a hit.

Last edited:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so which begs the question...if Sonny lived, would Sonny of been more like Vito or Michael?
he was too out of control, he would of been his own man

he would of lead the coreleones to ashes, him getting murked was the best for the family and i think vito always wanted michael to take over because he was smarter then his two brothers

vito was loved by his family, i dont think anybody loved michael.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness

If Sonny lives, there's nothing to see here...

- it doesn't matter that Fredo isn't don, so he doesn't move with Johnny Ola an'em
- Sonny would be don, so Mike stays in Sicily, Fredo stays in the background in NY and never goes to Vegas

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he was too out of control, he would of been his own man

he would of lead the coreleones to ashes, him getting murked was the best for the family and i think vito always wanted michael to take over because he was smarter then his two brothers

vito was loved by his family, i dont think anybody loved michael.

cosign. vito knew sonny wasnt in any position to be in control of the family. he was immature. too eager, too hot headed. its evidenced by the meeting vito and sonny had with sollozzo and the beginning of GF1.

Don Corleone to Sollozzo: " I have a sentimental weakness for my children and I spoil them, as you can see. They talk when they should listen." <-- that is key.

sonny wasnt ready and neither was fredo. also vito was upset at michael enlisting for the war to begin with. i think he always planned for him to join the "family business"

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why is G.O.D Father Part 3 so hated on? Isnt that what happens to most organized crime syndicates over time, they go corporate?
the story just wasn't as good as the first 2. i would always skip a few chapters until "the meeting"
basically, it had a slow start. i rememeber listening to the commentary and coppola(someone?) was talking about how he had left everything open for a part 4, but after how everything went with 3, i doubt it will happen. i can't remember exactly but it was something to do with sonny. the thing i was always loved about the godfather movies was it read more like a story book than an actual movie. i never knew they did books until i watched the movie either.

Last edited: