Watson and the Shark (1778)

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
I'm working on my final essay and came across some very neat information.

As you know, since the colonial era to the American revolution, ideas about African-Americans were used in propaganda either for or against the issue of slavery. Thus,

Watson and the Shark, 1778 by John Singleton Copley

copley-john-singleton_watson-the-shark-17791-1024x809.jpg

What’s the story?

Well, it’s actually based on a real-life event: 14-year-old Brook Watson was attacked twice while swimming alone in Havana Harbor in Cuba when he was rescued by nearby seamen. He survived but lost his leg. Later he became a wealthy London merchant and staunch Tory, and he actually commissioned Copley’s painting.

The painting needs to be understood in the context of English politics, the American Revolution, and the slave trade.

Tories, did not support the Revolution and used the hypocrisy of slavery against the American agitators for liberty. As a result, writes Boime

Copley’s picture demonstrates a Tory attempt to show sympathy for repressed people, the well-dressed black man at the height of Tory antagonism toward the American Revolution.

Through the work, both painter and patron sent the message that opposition to the rebellion was not identical with opposition to regulated freedom. In Watson, a conservative painter formulated for his conservative client a response to the political attacks of Whig opponents whose own involvement in slavery belied (contradicted) their stated defense of American independence.

Watson, moreover, emphasized his close association with the New World, not just as an armchair spectator or tourist, but as someone who had experienced it in the raw.

Seemingly, Watson announced: “I know more about this world than smug, self-righteous Whigs. I have been there and I have suffered there.”

Copley and Watson found it necessary to invert what was the overwhelming reality on the seas in 1778: placing the black man on top and the white man in the shark-infested waters instead of the other way around.

Copley represented Watson as a victim of divine wrath for his own involvement in slave trading.

The waters, are the colonies, “dangerous breeding ground for revolutionary ideas that threaten the youth of the New World."

@Dip @KidStranglehold @ByAnyMeans @Primetime21 @BlVck_Sh3ll @JahFocus CS @Red Shield @Raymond Burrr @Rainman @Mansa Musa @Meh @Thomas @ElMorenoFeo809 @Poitier @satam55 @KOD @Rekorb

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
Generally speaking, art has a political agenda!

Liberty Displaying The Arts And Sciences

1-2-2E0-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0b0y8-a_349.jpg

This 1792 painting by Samuel Jennings was the first by an American artist to address the issue of slavery. Broken chains lay at the feet of Liberty, represented here by a female figure dressed in white. Liberty dispenses knowledge of the arts, literature, and science to grateful former slaves as others look on.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
So in the first painting what does the black man represent? I noticed he's standing tall amongst all the whites on that boat.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I'm working on my final essay and came across some very neat information.

As you know, since the colonial era to the American revolution, ideas about African-Americans were used in propaganda either for or against the issue of slavery. Thus,

Watson and the Shark, 1778 by John Singleton Copley

copley-john-singleton_watson-the-shark-17791-1024x809.jpg

What’s the story?

Well, it’s actually based on a real-life event: 14-year-old Brook Watson was attacked twice while swimming alone in Havana Harbor in Cuba when he was rescued by nearby seamen. He survived but lost his leg. Later he became a wealthy London merchant and staunch Tory, and he actually commissioned Copley’s painting.

The painting needs to be understood in the context of English politics, the American Revolution, and the slave trade.

Tories, did not support the Revolution and used the hypocrisy of slavery against the American agitators for liberty. As a result, writes Boime

Copley’s picture demonstrates a Tory attempt to show sympathy for repressed people, the well-dressed black man at the height of Tory antagonism toward the American Revolution.

Through the work, both painter and patron sent the message that opposition to the rebellion was not identical with opposition to regulated freedom. In Watson, a conservative painter formulated for his conservative client a response to the political attacks of Whig opponents whose own involvement in slavery belied (contradicted) their stated defense of American independence.

Watson, moreover, emphasized his close association with the New World, not just as an armchair spectator or tourist, but as someone who had experienced it in the raw.

Seemingly, Watson announced: “I know more about this world than smug, self-righteous Whigs. I have been there and I have suffered there.”

Copley and Watson found it necessary to invert what was the overwhelming reality on the seas in 1778: placing the black man on top and the white man in the shark-infested waters instead of the other way around.

Copley represented Watson as a victim of divine wrath for his own involvement in slave trading.

The waters, are the colonies, “dangerous breeding ground for revolutionary ideas that threaten the youth of the New World."

@Dip @KidStranglehold @ByAnyMeans @Primetime21 @BlVck_Sh3ll @JahFocus CS @Red Shield @Raymond Burrr @Rainman @Mansa Musa @Meh @Thomas @ElMorenoFeo809 @Poitier @satam55 @KOD @Rekorb
Great read. What was it about the colonists wanting to keep slavery as long as they possibly could? Love how they pointed out the contradiction of Whigs supporting the 13 colonies becoming "free" all the while supporting the supporters and beneficiaries of slavery. Watson's anti-slavery Tory stance against the contradiction of The American Revolution correlates with Black protest of the American flag(IE Kapernick) and the contradiction of America today. Great read.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Wouldn't say art is usually political but this is an interesting example of political art.

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
I see the black man is the one holding the rope.

Check out the Casor legal suit and the black slave owner Anthony Johnson. Anthony Johnson (colonist) - Wikipedia

• The Casor suit was an example of how difficult it was for Africans who were indentured servants to prevent being reduced to slavery. Most Africans could not read and had almost no knowledge of the English language. Planters found it easy to force them into slavery by refusing to acknowledge the completion of their indentured contracts. This is what happened in Johnson v. Parker. Although two white planters confirmed that Casor had completed his indentured contract with Johnson, the court still ruled in Johnson's favor.
  • Finding that Anthony Johnson still "owned" John Casor, the court ordered that he be returned with the court dues paid by Robert Parker.
  • This was the first instance of a judicial determination in the Thirteen Colonies holding that a person who had committed no crime could be held in servitude for life.
Crazy that the legal precedent and laws on the books regarding lifetime slavery resulted from a case brought to court by a black man.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
So in the first painting what does the black man represent? I noticed he's standing tall amongst all the whites on that boat.

It was his way of giving the black man dignity and pride despite the "troubled water" surrounding him

Notice how John painted the black man. Notice the clothing compared to others. Notice the way he is standing.

Skip to 3:38