We always talk about producers, but did you know top mixing engineers charge $4,000-$5000+ per mix?

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
Because you made a good thread but you haven't provided the necessary receipts... So :camby: outta here, fakkot :scust:

21155d1375921450-joel-lanning-jaguars-fan.gif

This isn't even a a situation that calls for receipts . . it's just a known fact to people that know the business :skip:

Ever seen pics of rappers of indie and C-Level rappers in big high-quality studios and their music still sounds like shyt? That's because they're in $100 an hour studios to take pics for instagram. Meanwhile they've hired a $25 an hour engineer, the equipment doesn't make the mix

The rate I mentioned is almost the standardized rate for the top-flight engineers. In the audio engineering community these guys are literally worshipped and people hang on their every word

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
New York
21155d1375921450-joel-lanning-jaguars-fan.gif

This isn't even a a situation that calls for receipts . . it's just a known fact to people that know the business :skip:

Ever seen pics of rappers of indie and C-Level rappers in big high-quality studios and their music still sounds like shyt? That's because they're in $100 an hour studios to take pics for instagram. Meanwhile they've hired a $25 an hour engineer, the equipment doesn't make the mix

The rate I mentioned is almost the standardized rate for the top-flight engineers. In the audio engineering community these guys are literally worshipped and people hang on their every word

:ohhh::ohhh:

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
Just grab a nescomer

These kids are coming out of Full Sail where they learn to mix "in the box" on ProTools. Full Sail teaches these kids that ProTools is all they need to know

You can't take one of these kids and put them in world-class studio and expect them to know what to do. These top flight engineers I'm speaking of came up with internships, under the wing of someone who showed them the ropes and trade secrets

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
What's Dave Pensados rate?
Specifically, he is who I had in mind when I posted this

He charges $4,000 - sometimes $2,000 for indie clients

These guys are said to do one mix a day . . but for business sake . . let's say they field a bunch of inquiries daily, what's to stop them from having some understudy "ghost-engineer" a mix and pull in some extra guap :francis:

Dave Pensado
Manny Marroquin (mixes most of Eminem's stuff)
Jaycen Joshua
Chris Lord-Alge

Then you got guys like Bruce Swedien who mixed a lot of Quincy Jones work, including Thriller

these guys got sponsors in the audio engineering world - http://www.waves.com/bundles/chris-lord-alge-signature-series

Kids be going to their seminars asking for pictures and autographs. You an audio engineer, you get a picture with one of these guys and you can all of the sudden act like you're an understudy of them

The most mythical status all-around mix God right now is Serban Ghenea . . dude works out of a private studio and barely has any interviews. He's mixed most of the biggest pop records. His rates about $5,000 a mix and he's said to mix all ITB ("in the box" aka on ProTools, /mixing console used)

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
i know mike dean and anthony kilhoffer gotta be filthy rich by now

@KushSkywalker come make sense of this i dont even know wtf im looking at here :mindblown:

Its some sort of loop machine with what looks like a touch screen filter synced with what looks like fruity loops open so they can do stutter/glitch/filter effects on the beat as it plays. Not sure the ins and outs of it though, looks fun.

Reminds me of Izotope Stutter which is a cool plug in.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Specifically, he is who I had in mind when I posted this

He charges $4,000 - sometimes $2,000 for indie clients

These guys are said to do one mix a day . . but for business sake . . let's say they field a bunch of inquiries daily, what's to stop them from having some understudy "ghost-engineer" a mix and pull in some extra guap :francis:

Dave Pensado
Manny Marroquin (mixes most of Eminem's stuff)
Jaycen Joshua
Chris Lord-Alge

Then you got guys like Bruce Swedien who mixed a lot of Quincy Jones work, including Thriller

these guys got sponsors in the audio engineering world - http://www.waves.com/bundles/chris-lord-alge-signature-series

Kids be going to their seminars asking for pictures and autographs. You an audio engineer, you get a picture with one of these guys and you can all of the sudden act like you're an understudy of them

The most mythical status all-around mix God right now is Serban Ghenea . . dude works out of a private studio and barely has any interviews. He's mixed most of the biggest pop records. His rates about $5,000 a mix and he's said to mix all ITB ("in the box" aka on ProTools, /mixing console used)
Yea Swedien is a god.

I like Chris Lords and Jack Josephs plug ins too.

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
Basically there's a studio in LA which houses 3 top-flight mix engineers

This studio expanded while most big studios closed. This studio is basically where the "cool kids" hang out (per say) . . in the sense that at anytime you go you're likely to come across notable figures working there- I'd imagine there's some effort to keep Mr. "I've got a mixtape, check it out" type rappers out of there. Basically there's people that work at companies that own their own studios that will go here for services because they want to be seen at the cool kids table