We always talk about producers, but did you know top mixing engineers charge $4,000-$5000+ per mix?

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

- 8ball Investments™ CEO -
Daps
Reppin
Myself
Engineering is maybe the next frontier in Hip Hop. I'd elaborate but I don't wanna give away too much game.

I will say tho as I've been saying for over 10 years now. "I'm a student of Dr. Dre". I always paid close attention to what that man was doing #Pause. Ever since "detox" got announced I always wanted to be ahead of the curve. My mind went wild when I first heard about it

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I know is I have immense respect for engineers.
If you want your final product to sound great then you need a good engineer.

Also I think the little jabs at Hip Hop are lame, depending on the artist they're pursuing
great sound quality on top of well written songs. You can find people that want to skimp on quality
in just about any genre. I should post up some vids from one of my favorite youtube channels that
supports this.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Honestly, mixing rap is not a challenge or worth spending $5000 for a song. Most of the sounds are digital and beat makers are better at mixing their sounds and effects. A good vocal recording is the true difference maker.

Mixing is about the bells and whistles.

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

Daps
Reppin
Myself
Honestly, mixing rap is not a challenge or worth spending $5000 for a song. Most of the sounds are digital and beat makers are better at mixing their sounds and effects. A good vocal recording it the true difference maker.

Not necessarily. If you're an artist then you know how to twerk your canvas

scuba

All Star
Daps
respectable thread... mixing is probably too super technical... i mean i know exactly how they do it in theory, in reality its super technical and takes a long time to learn how to do it well...
cant really provide good audio samples... its something you have to experience, recorded someone rapping on your computer and then compare it to a real song and its a big audio difference

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

Daps
Reppin
Myself
Twerk or tweak?! Lol

An artist should but I believe in specialization. Just know what one wants to hear.
Lol. I definitely meant Twerk.

And I won't elaborate but I know what to listen for. I've studied Dre's craft for years. There's more to it than adding live instruments on a 4/4 scale. Atleast that's what I took from it

PRVLG Sound Studios

PRVLG Sound Studios
Daps
Reppin
Teaneck, NJ
Honestly, mixing rap is not a challenge or worth spending $5000 for a song. Most of the sounds are digital and beat makers are better at mixing their sounds and effects. A good vocal recording is the true difference maker.

I was gonna disagree but I understand why you say this.
You're right to some extent. The problem is sonically hip hop is moving in a direction that's lowering the quality of the music.
Most clients care more about a record "going hard in the whip", then being sonically correct and organic.
A lot of modern rap is mixed poorly due to artists and producers asking it to sound that way. Trust me i experience this on a daily basis.
Even with that said, There still are a lot of great dynamic hip hop mixes out there!