We need to have a conversation about streaming numbers for Hov's classics

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I’m very surprised Cube is out streaming Jay, I mean, that would be my pick, so I’m glad to see the kids fukkin with Cube

White people love Cube, lol.

He said recently that his streaming numbers have been going up crazily lately. He's been all over doing interviews and press. That always gets casuals into going back and listening to old music on the DSP's. So it's kinda like he's making new fans today!

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
I've never been the biggest fan of Jay-Z.

I like him but I don't know it's hard for me to figure out why I'm not crazy about him musically, I think it's because vocally he's kinda boring.

He just doesn't hit compared to some of his other contemporaries such as Nas, Wu, Biggie, Mobb Deep, Pac, Snoop, and many many more from his era.

Solo_87

All Star
Daps
I've never been the biggest fan of Jay-Z.

I like him but I don't know it's hard for me to figure out why I'm not crazy about him musically, I think it's because vocally he's kinda boring.

He just doesn't hit compared to some of his other contemporaries such as Nas, Wu, Biggie, Mobb Deep, Pac, Snoop, and many many more from his era.

Interesting

But you believe Nas has an engaging voice?

That's been one of my biggest drawbacks from Nas his voice and flow... imho he is one note, not very dynamic in that regard

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Interesting

But you believe Nas has an engaging voice?

That's been one of my biggest drawbacks from Nas his voice and flow... imho he is one note, not very dynamic in that regard
Slightly better than Jay's but I feel like his lyrics and delivery/cadence (style rather) makes up for it.

Something about Jay just doesn't work for me.

I like his music but not too crazy like other people.

It's been a while since I've actually listened to any of Jay's albums.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Slightly better than Jay's but I feel like his lyrics and delivery/cadence (style rather) makes up for it.

Something about Jay just doesn't work for me.
i know what you mean

jay's flow/voice is not that good :dead: like it is, obviously, given his stature. but it also isn't

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
He’s not lol.

Jay z 35 million monthly listeners

Ice cube 8 million monthly listeners

This just means Jay's music is on more playlists with a lot of followers/reach. Given he has has songs with the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, Kanye etc it makes sense why he has way more

Here's are Jay's 5 most played songs daily/weekly:

Umbrella
Crazy In Love
Empire State of Mind
nikkas in Paris
Numb/Encore

All collabs. Nobody fukking with Jay's solo shyt :yeshrug:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
This just means Jay's music is on more playlists with a lot of followers/reach. Given he has has songs with the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, Kanye etc it makes sense why he has way more

Umbrella
Crazy In Love
Empire State of Mindy.
nikkas in Paris
Numb/Encore

Ngl, his discography is looking hella shaky once strip those collabs away. He's a social climber and astute businessman but his influence on music overall was minimal.

It's akin to what Travis Scott has done over the past 10 years. No distinct sound, no stand out bodies of work and very little artistry in his music.

Ku$h Parker

I Took My Time,I Hurried Up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside

Umbrella
Crazy In Love
Empire State of Mind
nikkas in Paris
Numb/Encore

Im reverse that,I hold Vol 3 at its Highest Regard and it was Solo Jay 90% of it:yeshrug:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I never got why he is considered "the flow of the century".

People always say how ill JZ is lyrically. I was there for all of it in real time and he never made my hair stand up.

Nas or Pun or Ghost or even BIG. There's some shyt these niqqas said that makes you rewind that shyt TODAY. Not in 95 or whenever.. you listen to Verbal Intercourse or Off The Books right now and it's still electrifying.

I don't really have any JZ verses like that. The one song of his that I can come back to is Friend or Foe. I like the bars and the whole polite/menacing thing he does there.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With Kendrick breaking records there's been a lot of talk about streaming numbers lately.

I been looking at these for a lot of artists and got to address the elephant in the room.

Audiences ain't checking for Hov's classic era albums like that compared to his peers. Question is, why?

Daily streams by album for last week

TBA 193,008
Blueprint 168,643
Vol. 2 149,408
BP2 131,367
Vol. 3 105,294
RD 80,299
Dynasty 35,102
Vol. 1 25,456

Last week's daily streams for some other albums from the 90s and 00s

Chronic 2001 2,113,338
AEOM 1,541,731
Ready To Die 1,144,653
LAD 1,101,599
Stankonia 986,094
Nellyville 908,040
Predator 752,200
Illmatic 518,775
Country Grammer 485,195
Doggystyle 479,966
The Chronic 478,362
The Infamous 474,265
36 Chambers 446,928
Lethal Injection 411,129
MATW 370,464
IWW 246,296
It Ain't Safe No More 215,945
ATLiens 175,255
Aquemini 158,589
Word of Mouf 137,580

Wondering what unbiased brehs like @bigde09 @Westbama Heartthrob and @ThirdAct got to say about this

Got to add the following note for clarity. If you stream a song on a Greatest Hits or compilation, it get added to the total for both the original album and the compilation, and to all alternate versions of the original album.

Example. Blueprint daily streams last week was 168,643, BP2 streams was 131,367. Total of 300,010.

The BP Deluxe version listed includes all tracks from BP1 and BP2. You look at the daily totals for BP Deluxe, it's exactly 300,010.

Greatest Hits and compilations ain't cannibalizing the individual album totals on the source site. And anyway Hov ain't the only artist on the list with a popular Greatest Hits :mjlol:

Those numbers aren't bad, they are just spread out because he has such a large catalogue.