WGU lowered their requirements for their IT Bachelors programs

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Daps
I'd agree in regards to their CS program. It looks more like a "Computer Science Technology" curriculum where they took much of the theoretical portion (the weed out classes) out. CS is basically an engineering degree at this point and WGU is not an engineering school.

One of the reasons I was ready to become a dev with an IT degree is because I took those typical weed out courses at other schools.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Honestly, I would never do no online IT degree.

The top of the class if they network can get internships, experience etc.. but I believe the majority or most people who graduate will have trouble finding IT jobs and if they do it will be low level, entry jobs where you would ask yourself why did I waste tens of thousands of dollars to be doing this entry level shyt?!

That's just me though.

thats why you get certs first , then apply . You get credit for those certs AND it’s still cheaper than a brick and mortar school . Especially if you get Pell Grant . $3000 per 6 month block .

There’s some people that have knocked out their degree in a block or two . So a Bachelors for $6000-8000 is less than one year of school at your state university . That’s an outlier but it’s possible if you have certs and say fukk it and do Modern States CLEP . Even less time cuz you won’t have to take General Ed .

it’s about how much time you got to put in. Everybody get the same 24 hours . You can be on your grind or you can be in TLR all day

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
As an FYI,

Within Software Development, you have people who never took one CS course in their life and they are still competitive in the market.

Why?

Because they can code AND solve problems.

It's one of the few disciplines where its more about what you can do vs what you learned.

The idea is that you'll be learning for damn near the rest of your career anyway.

So don't think you need a CS degree to get these jobs, self taught folks are nothing to look down upon.

Degree or not, you can't skip putting in the work. You'll end up having to take a course on Data structures and Algos again when you start looking at FAANG companies :mjlol:

So if your really curious, there are plenty of resources online to start before spending any money. Start googling :ld:

Thank you for listening to my TED talk :ld:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When did you start? And how are you liking it so far?
Summer of 2020, love it. When I feel like cranking out work, I dont have to go at the pace of an instructor. When I dont feel like doing shyt, I dont have to worry about attendance. I just pick it up when I feel like it again. If I knew about this option 10 years ago, I would already be degreed.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
For anybody looking for cheap routes, you can get plenty of the prerequisites done on sophia.com, study.com, straighterline, etc.

Then you only have about ~15 classes left to finish at wgu.

Check out all the preqreuisites you can finish elsewhere (sites are on the right):

Like another breh said though, you don't need a degree if you want to go into software, most people who will interview you can care less.

However, it does help get you by any HR checks to get you more interviews.

Last edited: