What are some harsh movie/tv realities you've had to accept?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The black renaissance of 90s tv will probably never be replicated again

There will not be an A Team sequel. Or RockNRolla sequel

Ridley Scott is done as a director. His brother was always better anyway

Rush hour hasn’t aged well and it’s a sign of Brett Ratner being a meh director and a worse human being.

A movie adaptation of Kraven’s last hunt or another version of the night Gwen Stacy died are probably not happening.

Also, and probably the most important, the shyt is a business first and foremost. People may bytch and moan about remakes and reboots and looking to well know IPs but that’s the studio system right now that we helped create. Original ideas don’t get a lot of traction in movies anymore because so much of the moviegoing public decides not to see those flicks in theaters. So now studios are more afraid to take risks and want safe bets. The risks will now be on tv or on Netflix or Hulu or amazon. Our dollars have told them what we want

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
And on a similar note, Top Tier black comedians and actors won't use the little power/influence they have to Executive Produce or co-sign a group of younger black comedians/actors to let them do them.

Like Glover and Jerrod, for the most part young black creators/creatives are gonna have to get it on their own.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And on a similar note, Top Tier black comedians and actors won't use the little power/influence they have to Executive Produce or co-sign a group of younger black comedians/actors to let them do them.

Like Glover and Jerrod, for the most part young black creators/creatives are gonna have to get it on their own.

Question: is that because they can’t do that or won’t?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Question: is that because they can’t do that or won’t?

It's a good question. Honestly I don't know why... I'm not implying anything bad about the OGs, I just don't know why it doesn't happen.

Knowing the little I know about how "the business" works, I can't imagine a situation where Chris Rock walks in a room with a few comedians/writers in their 20s/30s who he fukks with and not being able to get them an Amazon, Comedy Central etc. show. Just so that network can say "From Executive Producer Chris Rock"

Who knows what they do behind the scenes. They may help. But on the surface, outside of a picture at the Golden Globes or some shyt, black creatives don't outwardly clique up. They're cool, but they don't solidify their power or combine their waves. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess Eddie kinda did it in the 80s and is about to do it a little now with the Dolemite joint, but man... how hard would it be for the business to ignore a production company with Rock, Murphy & Kenan Wayans at the head the way Apatow or Rogen & Goldberg are constantly selling films and shows with lesser known writers doing the actual work.

I'm probably just being naive...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's a good question. Honestly I don't know why... I'm not implying anything bad about the OGs, I just don't know why it doesn't happen.

Knowing the little I know about how "the business" works, I can't imagine a situation where Chris Rock walks in a room with a few comedians/writers in their 20s/30s who he fukks with and not being able to get them an Amazon, Comedy Central etc. show. Just so that network can say "From Executive Producer Chris Rock"

Who knows what they do behind the scenes. They may help. But on the surface, outside of a picture at the Golden Globes or some shyt, black creatives don't outwardly clique up. They're cool, but they don't solidify their power or combine their waves. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess Eddie kinda did it in the 80s and is about to do it a little now with the Dolemite joint, but man... how hard would it be for the business to ignore a production company with Rock, Murphy & Kenan Wayans at the head the way Apatow or Rogen & Goldberg are constantly selling films and shows with lesser known writers doing the actual work.

I'm probably just being naive...

I think it may be a lot of them being worried someone will take their spot.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I think it may be a lot of them being worried someone will take their spot.

I could understand Jordan Peele or Donald Glover worried about putting on a homie. That person, who is your age and in your circle could possibly replace you. That person could be the guy/girl of the month or year the way they are.

But if you're a real OG, not just time in the game but a real discography, you're not competing for the same stuff.

If "From Executive Producer Vince Vaughn" can get Bill Burr a 3 season cartoon on Netflix, what could "From Executive Producer Denzel Washington" get you?

:yeshrug:

Maybe they just don't wanna do it. It might not be malice, it might just be a time or energy thing.

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
Never going to get that Wayans Bros. series finale episode...:mjcry:

Never going to get to see Billy Dee's portrayal of Two-Face

I wonder how different The Matrix & its sequels would of turned out with Will Smith as Neo...

Aaron McGruder will never re-up another series of The Boondocks...