What are some transitioning roles individuals looking to get into IT/Cybersecurity can apply for?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I definitely wouldn't start at the bottom doing helpdesk or desktop support. Those jobs are a complete waste of time and pay like shyt.

He might have to if we're being honest. Maybe getting in is way easier than it was when I started out in IT :yeshrug: but it's hard to imagine somebody with no prior experience getting a cybersecurity job.

Granted, I started out in the field during the recession and haven't really looked for jobs in some years, so maybe the market is better now, but still.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He might have to if we're being honest. Maybe getting in is way easier than it was when I started out in IT :yeshrug: but it's hard to imagine somebody with no prior experience getting a cybersecurity job.

Granted, I started out in the field during the recession and haven't really looked for jobs in some years, so maybe the market is better now, but still.
It depends on the individual and how bad you want it. In my case I relocated to another state and took a contract gig just to break into the field. And more companies are willing to hire novices to save money on salaries. My old employer hired school teachers and kids straight out of college once the experienced people all bolted for more money.

How much of the cybersecurity talent shortage is self-inflicted? - CyberScoop

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I would identify the area of cybersecurity I want to work in first. Look at job boards and read the job duties and requirements.

Obtain a cybersecurity certification like the Security+. Once you understand the basics it's easier to pass interview grilling.

I wouldn't look for employment until I can demonstrate a minimum amount of technical skills and knowledge on the subject.

There are all kinds of free interview question materials online. I would be able to answer these question off the top of my head before even applying for a job. You'll be surprised how often employers use these questions verbatim for screening applicants.

Build a home lab and practice with both Linux and Windows. YouTube has tons of videos on doing almost anything in cybersecurity.

If you hate your current job think how worse it would be get another job you're unprepared for. Depending on what city you live in determines how fast you'll find a cybersecurity job. So you may have to relocate to find your first gig.

I had a SOC job but I was just fired this last week, they didn't like my knowledge.

I want to know what I should do, I'm over 40 and got my first IT job over 40 so should I keep on or give it up? I need to learn alot of stuff and my age and race will be a problem, I'm depressed right now due to stress.

I tried to build a VMWARE lab but I can't get computers to connect, so I need to do that home lab, i also need to learn SIEM and a few more things, I don't have my S+ but I don't see S+ jobs in Florida (miami)

I need advice.

I was gonna sign up for a certfiicate at a CC for Cybersecurity, I already have one but clearly I don't know shyt that I should.

Someone advise me on some shyt, I'll send you my resume if you wanna see it. I'll probably be better off just leaving IT I'm in a bad spot.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had a SOC job but I was just fired this last week, they didn't like my knowledge.

I want to know what I should do, I'm over 40 and got my first IT job over 40 so should I keep on or give it up? I need to learn alot of stuff and my age and race will be a problem, I'm depressed right now due to stress.

I tried to build a VMWARE lab but I can't get computers to connect, so I need to do that home lab, i also need to learn SIEM and a few more things, I don't have my S+ but I don't see S+ jobs in Florida (miami)

I need advice.

I was gonna sign up for a certfiicate at a CC for Cybersecurity, I already have one but clearly I don't know shyt that I should.

Someone advise me on some shyt, I'll send you my resume if you wanna see it. I'll probably be better off just leaving IT I'm in a bad spot.
I don't know that much about the Miami cybersecurity market but it can't be that great. Have you considered relocating to another job market that's better known for tech companies? Can you leverage any other industry experience to find a job and then apply internally for a Cybersecurity position once inside? I no longer put that much emphasis on my resume. But instead focus more on my LinkedIn profile because that's what most recruiters look at these days. Depending on how much it costs taking courses at a community college probably wouldn't hurt. They might have some kind of graduate placement program also.