What are the most influential films of all time?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm not talking the greatest films of all time or even the ones you feel like are the best or personally like; I'm talking about the movies that changed the game and things weren't the same after they came out.

Off the top of my head:

Star Wars
Toy Story
The Godfather
Psycho
Jaws
Breakfast Club

That's all I got right now. Add on brehs

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Citizen Kane
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
The Matrix
2001: A Space Odyssey
Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Citizen Kane
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
The Matrix
2001: A Space Odyssey
Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

I was going to say snow white but I figured someone else would.

I'd take off harry potter tho because I think Wizard of Oz takes that. Maybe in the sense of book adaptations? I love that franchise but I wouldn't put that film on a list.

Easy Rider
Pulp Fiction
Lawrence of Arabia
Scream
Halloween
Blair Witch Project

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I was going to say snow white but I figured someone else would.

I'd take off harry potter tho because I think Wizard of Oz takes that. Maybe in the sense of book adaptations? I love that franchise but I wouldn't put that film on a list.
I cosign the Wizard of Oz, but I put Harry Potter there more so for the influence on young adult novel adaptations that we see today. I wasn't trying list too many things without giving explanations so I left off a lot of films that have very similar impacts at different times. Do you choose between the Christopher Reeve Superman films, Burton Batman films, X-Men, Nolan Batman films, creation of the MCU as the most influential in comic book/superhero films, or acknowledge their influences for their respective times?:manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I cosign the Wizard of Oz, but I put Harry Potter there more so for the influence on young adult novel adaptations that we see today. I wasn't trying list too many things without giving explanations so I left off a lot of films that have very similar impacts at different times. Do you choose between the Christopher Reeve Superman films, Burton Batman films, X-Men, Nolan Batman films, creation of the MCU as the most influential in comic book/superhero films, or acknowledge their influences for their respective times?:manny:

I'd still go with Superman because without Superman there is none of these. Nolan said that Donner's film was the biggest influence on Batman Begins because it was superman set in the real world. He felt like a Batman movie hadn't been done like that so he wanted to do that. Superman set the stage for everything that has come after it and some have improved on it while others haven't but without it, we got jack shyt

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I'd still go with Superman because without Superman there is none of these. Nolan said that Donner's film was the biggest influence on Batman Begins because it was superman set in the real world. He felt like a Batman movie hadn't been done like that so he wanted to do that. Superman set the stage for everything that has come after it and some have improved on it while others haven't but without it, we got jack shyt
That's like saying if video game movies ever reach the success that comic book films have that Super Mario Bros was more influential than the Resident Evil films. My argument is that precedence and innovation/impact/influence aren't mutually exclusive