Hovsta

Pokemon Gang
Daps
What is working in finance like?

What about quantitative finance?

:ehh:

Just wanna know seems cool

Broad topic

I recently got financial modeling training from my company because they are tired of using third party support.

Most undergrads start as junior finance analyst or report anyslst.

It's most here take this data. Make a spreadsheet and graph and explain to us if we are making or losing money.

:francis: Get good at excel, tableau , access brehs

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
Broad topic

I recently got financial modeling training from my company because they are tired of using third party support.

Most undergrads start as junior finance analyst or report anyslst.

It's most here take this data. Make a spreadsheet and graph and explain to us if we are making or losing money.

:francis: Get good at excel, tableau , access brehs

That's it? All that education just to make a few spreadsheets? :what:

Hovsta

Pokemon Gang
Daps
That's it? All that education just to make a few spreadsheets? :what:

:yeshrug: My company is mostly based of taxes breh so every company and position is different.

But no matter what in finance the foundation are then good damn spread sheets and graphs. My homeboy is a anayslt in Houston for reliant energy. Makes 80k all he does is basically give project updates how much money the spentt :francis:

But he also has to present in front of CFO, investors, etc

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
It depends yeah but entry-level analyst position you are going to be cranking out some financial modelling spreadsheets. But it's financially rewarding but you are going to put that work in.

Daps
It depends yeah but entry-level analyst position you are going to be cranking out some financial modelling spreadsheets. But it's financially rewarding but you are going to put that work in.
is there programming involved?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
is there programming involved?

For my job its just analyzing balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements and predicting into the future the numbers of a specific company and also do some valuation (determining what's the value of the company today based on its future earnings and cash flows). So no programming just mastering excel. Then again that may be different for others in the field because it is so broad and general.

Daps
For my job its just analyzing balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements and predicting into the future the numbers of a specific company and also do some valuation (determining what's the value of the company today based on its future earnings and cash flows). So no programming just mastering excel. Then again that may be different for others in the field because it is so broad and general.
what's the pay like?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Seems like it is tought to break into NYC finance scene if you didn't go to a target school...wondering if the situation is the same in Charlotte, NC?

Yea it is. If you didn't go to a target school then it's tough same with management consulting. The way you break into these places is if the the firm does on campus recruiting (which is usually at the target school campus). Some people have gotten through some type of training programme or summer internships that led to a full-time position. My path into finance is an unorthodox one so I didn't have to deal with the bullshyt.

You can always get your foot in the door at a "small market" city such as Charlotte then do an intra-company transfer to NYC if that's your attention but if you just want to do finance down south then it's not as hard to break into.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Yea it is. If you didn't go to a target school then it's tough same with management consulting. The way you break into these places is if the the firm does on campus recruiting (which is usually at the target school campus). Some people have gotten through some type of training programme or summer internships that led to a full-time position. My path into finance is an unorthodox one so I didn't have to deal with the bullshyt.

You can always get your foot in the door at a "small market" city such as Charlotte then do an intra-company transfer to NYC if that's your attention but if you just want to do finance down south then it's not as hard to break into.

Is Charlotte really still considered a "small market" since they are now the number 2 finance hub in the country? I know San Francisco is like number 3 and houston probably follows close due to energy finance...

NC seems like a prosperous place to move with Charlotte and Research Triangle Park

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Is Charlotte really still considered a "small market" since they are now the number 2 finance hub in the country? I know San Francisco is like number 3 and houston probably follows close due to energy finance...

NC seems like a prosperous place to move with Charlotte and Research Triangle Park

Never been to Charlotte so I don't know the finance dynamics but compared to NYC it's small because of Wall Street in NYC but globally it's NYC, London, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Tokyo. Chicago is the 2nd one after NYC in the US. So as a result most of top finance talent migrate to those global cities.

Houston is probably because of the Oil and Gas industry as you mentioned but it's a specialized financial center. NYC has it all. Same with San Francisco as a specialized "financial center. I think with SF, it's just a lot of tech-focused venture capital/private equity firms that's where that type of activity is taking place but I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as a financial center like NYC but I may be wrong.

Last edited: