What is finance like ?

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
@Frangala Do you mind describing a bit of your average day to day duties and schedule? Also what kind of projects have you been staffed on (or is it in an in-house type of position)?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
@Frangala Do you mind describing a bit of your average day to day duties and schedule? Also what kind of projects have you been staffed on (or is it in an in-house type of position)?

I am with a firm that only focuses on investing in emerging markets (primarily Sub-Saharan Africa). So basically research on sectors of the companies, a lot of fundraising (investor relations), looking at the books of companies.

Daps
I am with a firm that only focuses on investing in emerging markets (primarily Sub-Saharan Africa). So basically research on sectors of the companies, a lot of fundraising (investor relations), looking at the books of companies.
What tools do you use

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
My friend who's worth seven figures now works as a financial planner for Merrill Lynch. So he works inside of a bank Of America branch. This involves sales in order to make commissions, but this is a cat that has always been great with selling since he has that skillset. He makes around low six figures with that job when u include salary, bonus and commission.

Btw, he has a finance degree.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
@Frangala are you involved with the capital raising side or nah ?

I will be in the future. The firm has offices on the ground in Africa and that's where most of the "action" in terms of substantive work like financial analysis, and implementing strategy with the portfolio companies etc... for exits will take place. The North American office is shifting more and more into raising capital from pension funds, endowments and other institutional investors.

Daps
I don't even like socializing that much though is finance a career where you have you sell yourself (appearance as bad what not)

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will be in the future. The firm has offices on the ground in Africa and that's where most of the "action" in terms of substantive work like financial analysis, and implementing strategy with the portfolio companies etc... for exits will take place. The North American office is shifting more and more into raising capital from pension funds, endowments and other institutional investors.
I miss strategizing and raising capital albeit mines were smaller raises though
you are gonna eat something vicious in the next couple of years :wow:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
I don't even like socializing that much though is finance a career where you have you sell yourself (appearance as bad what not)

It is it's very lucrative long term therefore many people want to get their foot in the door for limited spots. So you basically have to go about the unconventional way which is go above and beyond applying online for positions. Use your Linkedin or alumni network or just network in general. Even for those who attended Ivy League, the network is where it is at. You have to sell yourself be fake at times but that's the game. I don't like socializing either and I thought my education/grades would do all the talking but I was wrong as hell.