What is the current hip-hop culture? Is there still a hip-hop culture?

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
I'm trying to figure out what the current hip hop culture is. We've gone through B-boy, graffiti, gold rope chain etc Era. The African, backpacker movement. The baggy clothes, big rims, platinum era, the jersey, white tee, snap dance era. After that I can't really find what hip hop culture is anymore. It seems like bits and pieces of everything scattered about. Culture changes but what have we changed to? Or is there no more flain focused hiphop culture and it's just an African American culture? (I'm not saying African American culture has always been hiphop culture btw). When we say someone is a hiphop culture vulture what culture are they stealing cause I don't think hiphop is a culture anymore, they can only be stealing AA culture.

roxxthe96er

Emcee
Daps
Reppin
CCVII, AMERICON.
Turn up, get money an fukk hoes, cause it ain't trickin if you got it. Also never get caught lacking, also act reaaal suspect an flexible.

If I was black I wouldn't wanna claim it as "my culture" or at least not all of it, hiphop's current state is pretty shallow.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
So what defines urban culture?
From the clothes to the styles and such when put together is this "urban culture"

Many people in urban culture listen to dubstep, latin music, and even rock but we know that there isnt anybody calling them dubstep culture, reggeaton culture or rock culture.

People are trying to take it from us and make hip hop its own thing instead of recognizing that its a part of African American culture.

Hip Hop culture is actualy African American culture despite what outsiders would like you to believe.

Last edited:

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Overseas, it's still rampant as ever. Peep the Japan and France's B-boy tournaments; they're stuck in that bubble. Here, it's almost synonymous with AA culture so it's constantly evolving.