When did PG-13 Horror flicks start to become popular?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Poltergeist is the first example I can think of. Pretty sure the ring was the first big one after that to be pg 13 and that works.

I’m not against a pg 13 horror movie in principle because it’s all about the kind of scares you’re going for. If you have a movie like Halloween or nightmare on elm st, then a pg13 rating is silly. But if you’re doing something that’s more suggestive and more about tension, like a quiet place, then the rating is fine.

It’s less about the rating and all about the execution

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Late 90's. It was a combination of things. One of which being that the viewship of horror movies was already dropping. Plus, going to the movies getting more expensive. In the late 90's though, the Clinton administration bytched to the theater owners about R rated movies. Remember, it's also under the Clinton administration that we got the ESRB for video games. They were responding to public concern that the violence in entertainment was a cause of the school shootings that were then a new thing. So the theater owners association started carding for R rated movies. This is why we got a bunch of PG-13 horror and action movies. Then the theaters started only showing R rated movies at later hours. So this fukked the studios because they make their money from ticket sales. 16 year old boys, want to take their girlfriends to go see horror movies, where the girl is going to be all up in their arms after a jump scare. Groups of teens just want to get out for the night. Especially if they're in an area where there isn't shyt else to do. But now that 16 year old, and his 15 year old girlfriend, can't get into the movie. Even if their parents purchased the tickets, they have to watch the movie with them. And depending on the movie, maybe not even that.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
no bullshyt, me and my girl and her brother was tokin up one day we had a conversation about PG-13 horror joints.
i guess i understand like the way McFly explained the shyt.
but for some reason that shyt just annoys me.
im not a thirst bucket for gore like that, but when i see something is horror, im kinda expecting somebody(bodies) to get fukked up in some way shape form or fashion.
:francis:

then again, i think Happy Death Day was PG-13 and i loved that movie.
:mjgrin:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
no bullshyt, me and my girl and her brother was tokin up one day we had a conversation about PG-13 horror joints.
i guess i understand like the way McFly explained the shyt.
but for some reason that shyt just annoys me.
im not a thirst bucket for gore like that, but when i see something is horror, im kinda expecting somebody(bodies) to get fukked up in some way shape form or fashion.
:francis:

then again, i think Happy Death Day was PG-13 and i loved that movie.
:mjgrin:

Yeah there are cases when it works and cases when it doesn't. A PG 13 ghost movie is fine in my book. Ratings themselves are pretty arbitrary because they're given out by the MPAA, who seemingly picks and chooses with no rhyme or reason when something is an R or something is PG 13. The Conjuring has little blood and practically no gore but they gave it an R rating due to "terror"; essentially saying the movie is so scary it has to be rated R:russ:

On the flip side, if Terminator 2 came out today, it would be PG 13 easily. It's no more violent than the dark knight:manny:

I've heard a few filmmakers talk about the ratings board and ratings in general and how they really make no sense.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Yeah there are cases when it works and cases when it doesn't. A PG 13 ghost movie is fine in my book. Ratings themselves are pretty arbitrary because they're given out by the MPAA, who seemingly picks and chooses with no rhyme or reason when something is an R or something is PG 13. The Conjuring has little blood and practically no gore but they gave it an R rating due to "terror"; essentially saying the movie is so scary it has to be rated R:russ:

On the flip side, if Terminator 2 came out today, it would be PG 13 easily. It's no more violent than the dark knight:manny:

I've heard a few filmmakers talk about the ratings board and ratings in general and how they really make no sense.
yeah. Terminator 2 would be an easy PG-13 now.
shyt we're getting actual murders on YouTube now. T2 would be light work at the flix.
that shyts so sad to say when i read it back in my head.
:mjcry:

but nah, im right there with you. like ghost movies being PG-13 im cool with.
but like you said, something like Freddy or Jason, Halloween and all them slasher joints.
them shyts dont need to no damn anything but R.
Zombie joints and torture type flix.
R!
:lolbron:

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Probably has to do with most horror flicks being more about the supernatural and less about slashers.

Also, overall PG-13 movies on average make the most money out of any rating because teens can see it without parents and super religious people see it too. If you notice most of the Rated R horror flicks today are made at a low budget so they don't have to worry about getting every demographic in the theater, just horror fans.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Probably has to do with most horror flicks being more about the supernatural and less about slashers.

Also, overall PG-13 movies on average make the most money out of any rating because teens can see it without parents and super religious people see it too. If you notice most of the Rated R horror flicks today are made at a low budget so they don't have to worry about getting every demographic in the theater, just horror fans.

Word. Every now and then you get lucky like with Halloween or The Conjuring and you crossover. But in general in Hollywood, R rated films across the board are shot on cheaper budgets because everyone is interested in "four quadrant" flicks now and those make the most money. What's the last R rated flick made for 100 million?