Where Does Roy Jones Belong On The List Of Greatest Boxers?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
If my memory serves me correct the breh @patscorpio is right...

Joe only lost to Rocky Marciano and Ezzard Charles when he came back...

Two HOF Heavyweight champs...

Roy has taken L's from numerous journeymen since Tarver...

Right..the only notable victories Roy notched after he slid was whooping an old tito (an ATG )who had no business fighting at light heavy and being the first to KO Jeff Lacy (:to:)...day and night

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't hold it agianst a fighter when he fights past his prime. LIke Ali getting beat by Holmes and other examples i'm blanking out on right now.
To me Roy is top 5 all time.
Honestly I rate Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis above (not in that order), so I would have Roy #4.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
If my memory serves me correct the breh @patscorpio is right...

Joe only lost to Rocky Marciano and Ezzard Charles when he came back...

Two HOF Heavyweight champs...

Roy has taken L's from numerous journeymen since Tarver...
That's cool but Roy was more unbeatable than Joe Louis in his prime and Roy vs Rocky Marciano is a hilarious mismatch.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
greatest talent, p4p for a decade. probably top 10 realistically but def top 15. to me, he would be top 8 or so.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
That's cool but Roy was more unbeatable than Joe Louis in his prime and Roy vs Rocky Marciano is a hilarious mismatch.
Roy would of definitely whooped Marciano but I don't get why you even bringing that up...

Prime Joe Louis never fought Rocky Marciano...

Marciano fought forced out of retirement by the IRS Joe Louis...
According to a credible Queens barber that used to cut Frank Sinatra hair Joe was 137 years old the time of that fight...:sas2:

That fight was a joke a lot like Berbick Vs Ali, Marciano didn't even want to take the fight but Joe needed the money...

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Roy would of definitely whooped Marciano but I don't get why you even bringing that up...

Prime Joe Louis never fought Rocky Marciano...

Marciano fought forced out of retirement by the IRS Joe Louis...
According to a credible Queens barber that used to cut Frank Sinatra hair Joe was 137 years old the time of that fight...:sas2:

That fight was a joke a lot like Berbick Vs Ali, Marciano didn't even want to take the fight but Joe needed the money...
What im.saying is that Roy Jones at his best is about as amazing and as good as you're ever gonna see in.the sport of boxing..much like Michael Jordan was in basketball.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't hold it agianst a fighter when he fights past his prime. LIke Ali getting beat by Holmes and other examples i'm blanking out on right now.
Honestly I rate Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis above (not in that order), so I would have Roy #4.

Ali slid after wars he had...particularly the thrilla in manila and shavers fight....roy slid because he made a big mistake in his conditioning

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Ali slid after wars he had...particularly the thrilla in manila and shavers fight....roy slid because he made a big mistake in his conditioning
Conditioning and age, he just aged out. I damn near cried when Roy got put to sleep by Ledbedev, terrible Steve Smoger allowed that shyt to happen.
But it happens, also Tarver might just have had Roy's number, after that with Glencoffe and Calslappy it was heavy on the downslide.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Conditioning and age, he just aged out. I damn near cried when Roy got put to sleep by Ledbedev, terrible Steve Smoger allowed that shyt to happen.
But it happens, also Tarver might just have had Roy's number, after that with Glencoffe and Calslappy it was heavy on the downslide.

Lebedev was at least a competitive fight he was winning...him getting bodied by Danny green in the first fukking round was terrible...but still ppl still believed and even argued with me that Roy could become a legit cruiserweight champion smh

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Lebedev was at least a competitive fight he was winning...him getting bodied by Danny green in the first fukking round was terrible...but still ppl still believed and even argued with me that Roy could become a legit cruiserweight champion smh
Thats the curse of seeing someone be great for so long and never wanting to believe they could or have fallen off.
I knew Bhop was done when he faked that injury against Chad, after that it was all smoke and mirrors nad proper selections of opponents.
But even after Sergey let him live, I knew someone like Joe Smith who wasn't going to give him the same respect was going to hurt him and retire him.
Only so long you can go, especially when you have no otherworldly power.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
to me in depends
i dont really count when roy was overseas gettin whipped by journey man
but the 2 tarver losses and the calzche fight gotta factor in to his resume
getting knocked out cold by glen johnson is unforgivable

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
to me in depends
i dont really count when roy was overseas gettin whipped by journey man
but the 2 tarver losses and the calzche fight gotta factor in to his resume
getting knocked out cold by glen johnson is unforgivable
I see tarver 1 as the start and tarver 2 as the official end of Roy's careers prime. He didn't have a gradual decline it was here and gone that quick.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think it's impossible to guage from generation to generation but I in my opinion Roy is important to boxing histroy and that boosts him up of course there is a lot of very good and great fighters that enter the squared circle but Roy is important to the history of the sport like only twenty guys in the near 200 years of the sport