Where Does Roy Jones Belong On The List Of Greatest Boxers?

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Greatest blend of talent,skill, and athleticism in a boxer that I've ever seen in my life time. One of the most unbeatable primes ever. Had one of the most influential styles too. Mad nikkas tried to emulate his style.....for example Jean Pascal. Coaches would roll their eyes and suck their teeth when you used to say Roy was your favorite boxer because they'd think you'd try to box like him too. :mjlol:

Without making an actual list, I'd say Roy is prolly top 20 all time.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
RJ is the greatest fighter I’ve seen in my lifetime. No one could touch him in his prime. Roy is one of the few fighters in the history of the sport that would probably win more times than lose again other ATG’s in their prime from MW to SMW. Even at LHW he’d be a problem for any ATG

Last edited:

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
See I look at Roy's prime a little differently. I think he was out of his prime as early as 2000, but his superior skills combined with the caliber opponents he fought at light heavy masked that. He was still ridiculously dominant but he wasn't the same as when he was at 160-168 or his early days at 175

I see the three losses he took in 04-05 as when he was past it but still damaging to his legacy. I don't count anything after 05 though career-wise

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Jones played himself.
I'd have him pretty low.
WHY?
Because he never did anything worth talking about after getting knocked out.
Where as people like Hopkins,Ali,foreman etc took losses but did fantastic things afterwards.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand why Hopkins is ranked higher all-time (even if I don’t agree), and Floyd has already proved he’s the best boxer of this era.

But for my money I can’t imagine picking anyone to beat Roy Jones in his prime, regardless of whether the fight was at middleweight, super or light heavyweight. At his best he was transcendent. I also think sometimes people get caught up in his light heavy/HBO/entertainment years and forget how many quality opponents he flat-out embarrassed on his way up. It wasn’t just James Toney.

Columbo

Lieutenant
Daps
Reppin
Homicide Investigations
Top 20 to 25. If he retired after the first Tarver fight i think he would be top 10

At his very best you could argue he was the goat. Who else beats JT and Bhop making it look as easy as Roy did?

Columbo

Lieutenant
Daps
Reppin
Homicide Investigations
Thinks BHOP ended his career just as tragically if not worse than Roy, watching back BHOP fights:scusthov:
He was still winning most his fights up until KKKovalev. And Kovalev was knockin out almost everybody, BHop at damn near 50 went the distance

When he fought Joe Smith he took too long after the Kovalev fight. He was finally too old and didnt have his legs anymore

BHop was still doing things at 45 that Roy could no longer do at 35

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
He was still winning most his fights up until KKKovalev. And Kovalev was knockin out almost everybody, BHop at damn near 50 went the distance

When he fought Joe Smith he took too long after the Kovalev fight. He was finally too old and didnt have his legs anymore

BHop was still doing things at 45 that Roy could no longer do at 35

Did Hopkins move up in weight like RJJ did and drop back down quickly? Hopkins only talked about fighting a prime Roy, but didn't actually take the fight until after the weight drop. Hopkins also talked about fighting Toney and fighting at HW as you can see it never happened.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Obviously Roy hung around way too long but I won’t count those losses against him cause he was out of his prime

Gotta take the bitter with the sweet. If he gets props for still dominating pro boxers while outta his prime, then he gets the flack for getting bludgeoned while outta his prime too. Still the best athlete to ever box.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
Gotta take the bitter with the sweet. If he gets props for still dominating pro boxers while outta his prime, then he gets the flack for getting bludgeoned while outta his prime too. Still the best athlete to ever box.
Roy might have looked like he legit died a good 4-5 times; but he aint got slept through the ropes like Bhop, then look up at the camera clueless on what happened like, while trying make a classic bhop excuse
giphy.gif

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Roy might have looked like he legit died a good 4-5 times; but he aint got slept through the ropes like Bhop, then look up at the camera clueless on what happened like, while trying make a classic bhop excuses then
giphy.gif

True shyt.

Roy took his L's like a G.

Hopkins getting Geese Howarded outta the ring and then start talking about he got pushed. :mjlol::hhh:

Like nah nikka that fukking construction worker put hands on you and got your old ass the fukk up outta there. Hell, just find solace in the fact that you were at least competitive up until that moment and give the young guy credit for doing what so many have failed to do. Being a sore loser will always make your L's look worse.

and real nikka shyt. Anybody that really followed Roy's career knew he was slowly leaving his prime around the time of the Clinton Woods fight. Dude was already a pro for like 14 years at that point and had hit his peak during the late 90's. I'm not gonna shyt on a guy who turned pro in 89 for getting stopped by scrub ass Danny Green in 09.

Just like I won't shyt on Duran for losing a fight to Joppy.