Where is the 2018 NBA Draft class going to rank all-time?

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kawhi didn't get 1st-team All-NBA or compete for an MVP until the year he turned 25. Luka just turned 25 last month and already has pulled 4 1st-team All-NBA selections and is in the MVP conversation every season. Luka at the age of 24 already had more 1st-team All-NBA selections than Kawhi did his entire career. And Kawhi did have a great run with Toronto in 2019, but that's literally the only season in his career that he advanced past the 2nd round as a #1.

Luka's career trajectory right now is way ahead of where Kawhi's was at the same age. Shai's trajectory isn't too far from Kawhi's either and is certainly ahead of anyone else in Kawhi's draft class.

My argument is that the actual career accomplishments of the 2011 class aren't that impressive cause several of them had very short peaks. There isn't anyone in the 2018 class that looks likely to apply to. Luka has already made more 1st-team All-NBA teams than Kawhi has, Shai made more 1st-team All-NBA than Kyrie, Jalen Brunson and Trae Young are already better than IT ever was and if their peak is as short as IT's it will be a huge shock.

I'm fine with saying the 2018 draft has potential to surpass 2011, but I cannot elevate them over 2011 until they actually do it. So yeah sure, you can argue that Luka & Shai are on the trajectory to have better careers than Kawhi & Kyrie but trajectory is just potential until it's actually done.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm fine with saying the 2018 draft has potential to surpass 2011, but I cannot elevate them over 2011 until they actually do it. So yeah sure, you can argue that Luka & Shai are on the trajectory to have better careers than Kawhi & Kyrie but trajectory is just potential until it's actually done.

Of course. That's why I said "going to" in the thread title.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Do you think Brunson and JJJ are only going to make 1-2 All-Star games?

You don’t know how many they gon make. Especially JJJ in the west. And Brunson is 27. You’d be suprised how many players—-especially PGs——you woulda swore dominated in their era yet only have 3,4 all stars. Ie baron Davis has 2, TWO, all star nods.

You're comparing the entire legacy of other draft class's to 2018's first five years.
What 2018 has that other classes don't is those 3-4 elite players on the top AND around 10 guys total who can be stars for their team with around 25 deep who contribute. Most classes either aren't elite at top, aren't as deep, or are suspect in the middle. 2018 has no weaknesses.

Again you don’t know where these guys end up. You’re being a prisoner of the moment. Ie the 98 draft, if you took a snapshot of their careers at the 3,4 year mark you’d see Dirk, Pierce, and Vince, plus Larry Hughes, Mike bibby, Antwan Jamison. After 3,4 years that’s an all time level draft. But then, Larry Hughes falls off. Antwan Jamison avg 25ppg in year 3, but levels off. Mike Bibby was leading a 60 win team at 22….but leveled, never became an all star. That draft goes from all time to ‘just’ really good. Plenty of other examples

So point being it’s way too soon to have this convo

Who the fukk cares what somebody else "remembers" a draft for?
You're literally saying we should dumb down the thread for a casual take. This is a discussion of what the best draft was, why deflect into popular narratives bullshyt?

:what: Are you dumb. This ain’t fukkin casual conversation. ‘What it’s remembered for’ = what class is best. Shape up

Last edited: