Which NBA teams draw the biggest ratings? Top 10 inside

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
Below, we have a quick and dirty analysis of the top 10 teams in terms of national games scheduled, ranked here according to average viewership. In this ranking, I’ve tried to establish a baseline by eliminating factors that can skew the data. That means no games on ABC (better watched due to distribution), no games on federal holidays (better watched due to audience availability), and no opening week games (better watched due to being a premier). The basic idea is to only rely on weekday ESPN and TNT games for a sense of how these teams do nationally. Caveats abound, obviously. The news cycles can get in the way and player injuries play their part. Overall, though, the numbers are fairly reflective of viewership reality. The NBA has always been a top-heavy league and that extends to team popularity. The following is an attempt to quantify that phenomenon. Ratings numbers are courtesy of Showbuzz.

1. Lakers: 1,505,167 (avg. viewership)
2. Clippers: 1,391,750
3. Warriors: 1,367,250
4. Nets: 1,202,500
5. Celtics: 1,192,333
6. 76ers: 1,180,333
7. Pelicans: 1,116,778
8. Mavericks: 1,112,571

9. Bucks: 1,067,400
10. Heat: 954,000

Which NBA teams draw highest TV ratings? Lakers still king, surprises in top 10

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
It's a paywall site so I won't post the whole article but here's some interesting tidbits

On the Bucks
America doesn’t seem to care about Giannis Antetokounmpo — at least not yet. The degree to which is rather remarkable, considering regular-season team success and other factors. Sure Milwaukee is a small NBA market, but this is the back-to-back MVP. Multiple playoff runs. Lots of commercials. Sports talking heads constantly discussing his free agency. And yet, we see the Bucks occasionally pull national numbers in the 700,000 range. Pre title LeBron and current Giannis are similar in terms of dominant production and Midwestern small market pedigree but could not be further from one another in terms of audience.

On the Pels
Don’t be fooled, this is an impressive number. Not only does it include an aforementioned Zion absence, but the draw was insanely TV-unfriendly. We’re talking about games against the Grizzlies, Rockets, Jazz, Hornets and the Suns (twice). Basically, the league gave the Pelicans a bunch of national games but made them prove themselves. In my opinion, they’ve markedly exceeded expectations, especially when you consider that New Orleans is the league’s smallest (and perhaps least engaged) market. The upshot: Zion Williamson is a box office star. It was true at Duke and it’s true in the NBA.

On the Lakers
The NBA’s Cadillac delivers yet again, and why shouldn’t it? You’ve got LeBron James, the league’s biggest brand and they’re defending champs. Of course, they’re going to lead everyone in viewership, and it’s not surprising that the margin is over 100,000 viewers.

This is a tough one to parse, but there’s a fair argument that the Lakers should be doing bigger numbers, even if they are safely at the top. We’re less than a decade removed from the average of all NBA cable games garnering over 2 million viewers. Yes, these are different times, but we’re talking MVP-level LeBron, Lakers and title aspirations here. They are dominant in viewership, but not nearly on the level of those old Big Three Miami Heat teams.

On the Warriors
When Steph Curry is playing, the Warriors are a top public team. They’re behind the Lakers and Clippers here, but they’re also a far worse squad, with no hope of winning a title. Also, it should be noted that the Warriors played two highly-anticipated ESPN games against the Clippers that occurred concurrently with an especially insane news cycle (look up when those games were). In normal circumstances, those games probably do better by the hundreds of thousands. There’s an argument that all things being equal, Steph’s Warriors are a bigger draw than LeBron’s Lakers. That’s mostly a theoretical claim because, until Klay Thompson returns and some moves are made, all things will remain far from equal.

The bigger question is whether the Warriors’ magical run solidified their status as a public team, a la what the 1990s did for Cowboys fandom. Maybe, maybe not. It wasn’t like America was glued to Warriors games last season when they were Stephless and in last place. At the same time, they’ve made an incredible journey from a woebegone franchise that can barely make the PTI ticker into what they are today. The Dubs are a worldwide enterprise as long as Curry is with them and perhaps beyond.

On the Mavs
Lukamania hasn’t quite hit. It seems inevitable, but it has been delayed by a shaky Mavericks season, and, perhaps, Doncic’s constant carping to refs. Credit to Mark Cuban for trying to get his guy’s name in the metaphorical paper.

On the Celtics
Lull numbers in a lull season so far. It seems like the Celtics should be taking off more, in the standings and the public consciousness. They’ve got two young, ascendant star wings whose games are aesthetically pleasing. I’m not sure that the NBA has quite figured out how to market what should be a mainstay over the next decade. Some of that uncertainty has something to do with Jaylen Brown suddenly, dramatically, exceeding expectations. The story of Jayson Tatum and friends is now a dynamic duo tale. The league must adjust accordingly.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
WIth the exception to Milwalkee...all of those teams pretty much are also within the highest populated cities

the only surprise that isn't in there are the knicks

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WIth the exception to Milwalkee...all of those teams pretty much are also within the highest populated cities

knicks been bad for so long, and theres another team in town now and theyre way better.:yeshrug:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
knicks been bad for so long, and theres another team in town now and theyre way better.:yeshrug:
yeah i live in ny and haven't watched a game in about 10 years...and i watch about 3-5 NBA games a week but i just dont watch the knicks

weird thing is...they're not on this list...but i saw something about them being the most valuable nba franchise

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

have they even had a national TV game that fits the criteria here?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
It's a paywall site so I won't post the whole article but here's some interesting tidbits

On the Bucks

On the Pels

On the Lakers

On the Warriors

On the Mavs

On the Celtics
Curry's the most exciting and aesthetically pleasing player since Kobe. :yeshrug:

I like they called out Luka's incessant bytching to the officials. He's been turning into a white Harden.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im surprised Heat are cracking top 10, half of the providers/internet providers don't carry the games cause of fox sports florida.

• Dap
Reactions: F K