White rapper who was dropped from major label reflects on the industry (good read)

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
I think the problem with these artists who sign to Majors is they forget its a "business"... :ld:

People say this a lot, but I don't think that's the problem. I think guys know it's a business, I think what artists don't realize is the scale of being a major label artist. Majors are dealing with the business at such a magnified scale that it kinda has to rely on lowest common denominator type music.

It's like, if I open up a small restaurant, and I get some success, and then the corporate types step in and offer to franchise my idea into a massive chain of stores, you don't think it's gonna affect the quality of the dishes? If I decide that's not the right move for my place, does that mean I forgot it's a business?

There's a difference between good business and greed.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Sometimes it seems to me that a lot of people who post on here identify more with the major labels than the artists or the music.

:ld:

It's like The Matrix. Or hell, McDonald's. Nobody wants to be reminded that they used ammonium hydroxide in their hamburgers. Nor do they want to be told "the music you like is bullshyt formulated by people that have zero ties to the artist". It's harsh. If people actually sat back and soaked in what is being said here it would make the stanning that goes on even more pathetic and trivial than it already is.

Fred.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Good read, he's making money now tho

28 grand to put out an album and videos? really? :laugh:

you have someone like lil b and yung lean putting out videos like its nothing eating for a while

this guy hustled a few people imo.

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
There's no way to know that. Everyone from Prince to Lupe has been approached about changing their music/image/whatever in the last 20+ years. I guarantee people were doing the same shyt during the 60's and 70's as well.

Fred.

Prince's label was dumb to try to switch his image up when it was working... they've always been idiots for that. Look how wrong LA Reid was about Pink or how T-Pain was asked to not use Autotune, get rid of the grill & shave his head... or asking Neyo to be more Pop & not do R&B. People at labels are idiots because they're not actually fans of music... they follow trends & numbers like stock. Artists should know this and know whether staying Indie is for them or taking a chance on Major. In Lupe's case he should've went Independent cuz Atlantic has fukked up his career but in Bruno Mars case they were spot on with his direction...

I've seen songwriters bust their asses for years signed under a Pub Deal and couldn't land any work but also see cats who just "have it" place records left & right...

Like any other profession you're either right for it or aren't... there's plenty of rappers who have no business rapping just like there are lawyers who have no business being a lawyer... if that makes sense...

Last edited:

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
People say this a lot, but I don't think that's the problem. I think guys know it's a business, I think what artists don't realize is the scale of being a major label artist. Majors are dealing with the business at such a magnified scale that it kinda has to rely on lowest common denominator type music.

It's like, if I open up a small restaurant, and I get some success, and then the corporate types step in and offer to franchise my idea into a massive chain of stores, you don't think it's gonna affect the quality of the dishes? If I decide that's not the right move for my place, does that mean I forgot it's a business?

There's a difference between good business and greed.

But there are plenty of people who ARE happy in the Music Business but when people are happy they have nothing to say but people who aren't happy tend to voice their opinions more... feel me?

scuba

All Star
Daps
I think the thing that takes most 'underground' artists of any genre by surprise when they sign to major labels is why were they signed in the first place if the label wasnt interested in there kind of sound...

too push the analogy, its like opening a hot dog stand, becoming the most popular hot dog stand in the city, and investors rush in, you join up with them, and then they are like ummm your going to make french cuisine now...
why on earth would you sign me if you have no interest at all in what i bring to the table...

I think most artists expect to be guided changed packaged...

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats crazy about some intern checks all the regions itunes

I remember some a&r was talking about how he checks sales/hits/views like that and he finds that one unsigned cat who makes a lot of noise in one specific spot and they go after him. I remember Yo Gotti was that person he was interested

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
But there are plenty of people who ARE happy in the Music Business but when people are happy they have nothing to say but people who aren't happy tend to voice their opinions more... feel me?

Yeah def true. I think all of the most happy people in the music business are those who really understand the business well, so they're clear on their own direction. Like someone else said, a lot of these artists are young, lack proper management, and end up confused when labels try to change their sound up. And let's be honest, labels specialize in exploiting the ignorance and naïveté of young artists. It's basically a rite of passage.

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
Yeah def true. I think all of the most happy people in the music business are those who really understand the business well, so they're clear on their own direction. Like someone else said, a lot of these artists are young, lack proper management, and end up confused when labels try to change their sound up. And let's be honest, labels specialize in exploiting the ignorance and naïveté of young artists. It's basically a rite of passage.

Very true...

Get em while they're young, dumb & willing... exploit them... then on to the next one...

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
There's no way to know that. Everyone from Prince to Lupe has been approached about changing their music/image/whatever in the last 20+ years. I guarantee people were doing the same shyt during the 60's and 70's as well.

Fred.
Nah...everyone back then was real and had integrity in their music :troll:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I don't care who Spose is.

Dude is speaking from the small time "regular" artist on a major label's perspective, without all the "Diddy had some corn in a circle and the chicken ate it and that's how many years you was gonna be hot" bullshyt....

and dumb nikkas ain't gonna wanna glance at it just because it's not Young Thug or French Montana or whomever your boyfriend is this year.