White rapper who was dropped from major label reflects on the industry (good read)

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
:dahell: This nikka made over $100k and got a record deal for this?

I'm saying though! :russ:

He should be happy he robbed the label basically. He probably couldn't churn anything else that was remotely close to the Awesome song. They probably thought he'd be a pop novelty artist and he probably tried to flip the scrip on em' like "Nah I'm a serious rapper B." :stopitslime:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Some interesting points but it's stuff we've all heard before.

shyt is :scusthov:

:russ: at him getting signed off the strength of some gimmick cornball "what if eminem had brown hair and grew up in maine" zany single...then having his heart crushed that the label was expecting some pop hits out of him

Labels want hit records :lupe: ... captivating, earth shattering revelation there....I'm sure if left to his own devices, without evil label intervention this guy would've been become the new england version of Rakim...or the hip hop bob dylan or some sh!t

:whew: we dodged a bullet...thank god he couldn't come up with a 2nd hit and the label couldn't figure out a way to refine his specific brand of cac-rap to pop success....by some cruel twist of fate the wrong person could've found themselves in those sessions and gave this dude a hit, and we'd have another macklemore on our hands :merchant:

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
I'm so glad the music industry is failing.

The execs have always been soulless and only want to produce mindless nonsense. \

Rap was good early on, because no one knew how to package it into a formula, now its throw Migos out there and they will get spins and tour = millions in profits. :smh:

The South is winning, though. :laugh:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I'm so glad the music industry is failing.

It really isn't though. They just are not making as big of profits as they used to. It's like a guy going from making 100 million to 40 million. Still pretty successful.

He was signed to be a Macklemore, not an Eminem :yeshrug:

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
It really isn't though. They just are not making as big of profits as they used to. It's like a guy going from making 100 million to 40 million. Still pretty successful.

He was signed to be a Macklemore, not an Eminem :yeshrug:

Yeah I was about to say the Industry did $10+ Billion last year... nowhere near failing or dead...

Daps
:russ: at him getting signed off the strength of some gimmick cornball "what if eminem had brown hair and grew up in maine" zany single...then having his heart crushed that the label was expecting some pop hits out of him

Labels want hit records :lupe: ... captivating, earth shattering revelation there....I'm sure if left to his own devices, without evil label intervention this guy would've been become the new england version of Rakim...or the hip hop bob dylan or some sh!t

:whew: we dodged a bullet...thank god he couldn't come up with a 2nd hit and the label couldn't figure out a way to refine his specific brand of cac-rap to pop success....by some cruel twist of fate the wrong person could've found themselves in those sessions and gave this dude a hit, and we'd have another macklemore on our hands :merchant:

:laff: :laff: :laff:

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
Labels gone label. Also I remember red cafe producer tellin me like two years ago Red was never Comin out with an album on Bad Boy ( lol been like what 4 years now?) but red would drop singles on iTunes for a quick flip. Lets just say hottest in the hood cost 7 grand to make, shyt sold like 40 k on iTunes. That's not a bad flip if you can keep doing it. Same goes for kid ink too he been killing it on iTunes and after years of consistency he getting a major look just like wiz did.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Yeah I was about to say the Industry did $10+ Billion last year... nowhere near failing or dead...

10 years ago the music industry did 38 billion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/t...s-first-revenue-increase-since-1999.html?_r=0

I should still clarify my point, though.

Mega stars in the rap game are not even going double platinum. So...I'm glad rap albums flop left and right, all my favorite rappers are unsigned and they make the music they want.

It caused a lot of non-South rappers to stop being lazy. Cali is making some really nice music now, basically NY gave you the brains and Cali gave you the heart.

The south has always been garbage with almost no classics. I can't complain. The south is winning. :laugh:

At this point I put anyone who dikk rides the south on ignore, since then the forum has become a much nicer place to get the latest info.