Why are nigggas like J.Cole considered "Conscious" rappers?

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
It goes back to the lowered standards for today's music. All you have to do is not rap about trapping or staying high and you're a "conscious" rapper these days. The "conscious" rhymes these days consist of an mc talking about something they saw on CNN.

Hit the nail on the head exactly

but I will admit I do see cole as a conscious rapper

just not a great one like average level

like many have said hes like "safe" conscious rap

Last edited:

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
"Fugee-La" was "conscious rap"??

Wait...rewind...

The Fugees was "conscious rap"??

:francis: I'm not even going to respond to your buffoonery.

It goes back to the lowered standards for today's music. All you have to do is not rap about trapping or staying high and you're a "conscious" rapper these days. The "conscious" rhymes these days consist of an mc talking about something they saw on CNN.

Exactly. Smh.

Our culture has become so watered down, and sheep-like. Like literally all a nikkas has to do is say "R.I.P. Mike Brown, fukk the police, Donald Trump sucks" and he's conscious. We living in the culture of instagram/twitter consciousness.... As long as you dikk ride a trending contreversal topic you are conscious. :francis:

These nikkas aint teachin our Youth shyt in their raps.....

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
??? I hope this wasn't an attempt to prove op wrong when Cole started the song talking about he don't know why hoes keep calling him when they know he only wants to bone and fukk if you excel he's only worried about his welfare. Another pseudo rap song from him.

Enchanted maybe my fav song off that tape But I feel like he tries to hard to come across like he's conscious. Royce said it best "he's so himself it's the gimmick"
So u point out like 2 bars out of the whole song? nikka did u here the 2nd and 3rd verses? nikkas just like nitpickin Cole for whatever reason. I can post songs from doper more conscious rappers that have off the topic lines. Pac is the GOAT at that shyt and even he did.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So u point out like 2 bars out of the whole song? nikka did u here the 2nd and 3rd verses? nikkas just like nitpickin Cole for whatever reason. I can post songs from doper more conscious rappers that have off the topic lines. Pac is the GOAT at that shyt and even he did.

Concious rappers don't do that shyt period. Pac was a gangster rapper. Not once did I bring him up or say he was Concious cause to me he isn't. I'll save my opinion on Pac though.

Jazzy Jay

The Gawd
Daps
Reppin
The A
Cant tell if this is a troll thread, or just packed with haters.

Cole is definitely conscious. nikka has used music videos to talk about Aiyana Jones and had performances like these.

Every rapper has some deeper more conscious tracks and others that are less, comparing no role models to those is being disingenuous. Nas made black girl lost and you owe me and we don't question his consciousness. J cole speaks to the human condition on a level like Pac. Rap doesn't have to be esoteric to be conscious, this is crazy. J cole produced this track and kendrick is rapping on it. .

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Concious rappers don't do that shyt period. Pac was a gangster rapper. Not once did I bring him up or say he was Concious cause to me he isn't. I'll save my opinion on Pac though.
See that's ur problem. U pigeonholing nikkas. Who said J Cole is just some conscious rapper? And to say Pac ain't conscious is a joke that ur fav conscious rappers would laugh at. And I doubt they could deliver the message as convincingly as him. Either way no rapper gotta be one way all the time. A conscious rapper is someone who is aware of his/her surroundings. And ain't afraid to speak on it in his/her raps.

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
Cant tell if this is a troll thread, or just packed with haters.

Cole is definitely conscious. nikka has used music videos to talk about Aiyana Jones and had performances like these.

Every rapper has some deeper more conscious tracks and others that are less, comparing no role models to those is being disingenuous. Nas made black girl lost and you owe me and we don't question his consciousness. J cole speaks to the human condition on a level like Pac. Rap doesn't have to be esoteric to be conscious, this is crazy. J cole produced this track and kendrick is rapping on it. .

Like I said bruh, all these nikkas talk about is instagram/twitter shyt.... And if you think a nikka is conscious cause he talking about Aiyana Jones (may she rest in peace), then that shows your level of depth. It's understandable the the masses think this is conscious cause the masses are stupid. But it's messed up that hiphop has gotten this low...... What happened to shyt like this?

It aint about being Esoteric.... but hiphop was about the people... BLACK PEOPLE.... We have lost sight of that....I don't blame the rappers, I blame the powers that be that only allow these types of nikkas to get famous. The jews that run the industry will never let a KRS-one, Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill, Public Enemy to gain popularity in this day and age. :snoop:

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA

I've always been on the fence about calling Pac conscious too.. In fact, I've always felt he was overrated, and his subject matter isn't as deep as people try to make it.. But that's a whole 'nother thread. :sas2:

Jazzy Jay

The Gawd
Daps
Reppin
The A
Like I said bruh, all these nikkas talk about is instagram/twitter shyt.... And if you think a nikka is conscious cause he talking about Aiyana Jones (may she rest in peace), then that shows your level of depth. It's understandable the the masses think this is conscious cause the masses are stupid. But it's messed up that hiphop has gotten this low...... What happened to shyt like this?

It aint about being Esoteric.... but hiphop was about the people... BLACK PEOPLE.... We have lost sight of that....I don't blame the rappers, I blame the powers that be that only allow these types of nikkas to get famous. The jews that run the industry will never let a KRS-one, Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill, Public Enemy to gain popularity in this day and age. :snoop:

They definitely are still putting the people first. Sounds like you are an hold head that holds the opinion their craft is different that what you liked back in the day thus it is inferior. Nobody is just talking about social media shyt, and bringing up relevant incidents and situations like Ferguson is exactly how artists represent the people. You just want to hate these dudes so admit that.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Eh...seems like the agenda of this thread is another those miserable 'lets create a circle jerk against the current generation, while romanticizing the past' type deals. I love the 90s and all, but I dont want to be stuck in it like a lot of y'all are determined to be.

More to the OP's point, I think he's confusing overtly political and 'militant' with "conscious". Conscious is sort of loosely defined, but to me its more about raising issues that relate to the average black listener in thoughtful and meaningful ways. It doesnt have to mean bludgeoning the listener over the head with 'I hate white people' talk every other bar.

To that point, I think Cole is more in the vein of "conscious" rappers like De La, Heiro, Outkast, Tribe, etc who rapped about relatable shyt with insight, but didnt act like sheltered, bookworm dweebs either. They all rapped about fukkin hoes, getting into shyt with nikkas, getting high, etc.

At any rate, hip hop is a business. A lot of "conscious" rappers got pigeonholed as nerds, and Im sure today's rappers have been "conscious" of that, and have been wise in balancing their music with more accessible themes in order to maximize their marketability.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
I've always been on the fence about calling Pac conscious too.. In fact, I've always felt he was overrated, and his subject matter isn't as deep as people try to make it.. But that's a whole 'nother thread. :sas2:
Name a conscious topic black people face in america. I can guarantee I find a verse Pac spit that addresses it.. u nikkas don't make the rules on what conscious is. The nikka spoke on Life. Death. Friends. Enemies. Religion. Police Brutality. Rape. Molestation. Abandonment. The black community. The government. Deadbeat dads. Women. Kids. Suicide. School system. And the fukkin list goes on. nikkas sound stupid in this thread.

Last edited: