Why didn't the Detroit Pistons draft Carmelo in 2003 ?

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
I've always why the Pistons didn't draft Melo in 2003 especially considering they already had a dope squad with outstanding team chemistry.

Instead Detroit drafted Darko and Carmelo ended up with the Denver Nuggets
:snoop:

Even Bron thought Carmelo Anthony was gonna be drafted by the Pistons

Your thoughts brehs ?

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've always why the Pistons didn't draft Melo in 2003 especially considering they already had a dope squad with outstanding team chemistry.

Instead Detroit drafted Darko and Carmelo ended up with the Denver Nuggets
:snoop:

Even Bron thought Carmelo Anthony was gonna be drafted by the Pistons

Your thoughts brehs ?

because every year, especially back then, execs always looking for that great white hope but they favor Euro players over Americans because they believe their skill levels are anomalies. shyt has rarely worked out. I pretty much have called every Euro bust. the only one I may have been wrong about in recent history was Luka...which I said he would be an all star level player just not an MVP level one...which we are yet to see.

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
because every year, especially back then, execs always looking for that great white hope but they favor Euro players over Americans because they believe their skill levels are anomalies. shyt has rarely worked out. I pretty much have called every Euro bust. the only one I may have been wrong about in recent history was Luka...which I said he would be an all star level player just not an MVP level one...which we are yet to see.

Melo had a character concern . we didnt want to ruin the chemistry by drafting a talented nikka who would challenge veterans. :mjlol::deadmanny:

Dumars made a right decision at that time or so he thought cuz we desperately needed a PF who can defend who wont be needed for a year or two cuz we got a win now team:russ:

Lesson we learned - you start over thinking shyt it will come bite your ass eventually :heh:

Piff Huxtable

Delaney 2020,2024,2028...
Daps
Dirk was an all-star, Pau was RoY, some goofy Mormon on ESPN who they tried to push as the Mel Kiper of basketball was hyping up every cac prospect, etc.
Drafting Euros was just the in-thing at the time :yeshrug:

even though Nikoloz Stikishvilli had already happened :lolbron:

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Pistons had success with that Fred Flintstone looking euro on their team.
okur_3_crop_340x234.jpg

Same scouts who found him probably projected Darko be best prospect remaining with their selection

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Same thing, probably even worse

KD is 20x the player Melo became

and both Oden and that cac became huge busts

Please don’t start with ‘bu bu but they had Brandon Roy'

Stop.

Oden was beastin in college with his off hand being uncoordinated.

I am a kd guy all day but oden barring injuries was can not miss for that exact time.
Melo and darko are completely different as it was detroit with a black gm. Trying to bring in a great white hype.. Over the best grassroots college player regardless of character issues.
It was low key self hate tbh by dumars. Not to bring in melo.

Art Barr

Fortunate Lee

Superstar
Daps
Stop.

Oden was beastin in college with his off hand being uncoordinated.

I am a kd guy all day but oden barring injuries was can not miss for that exact time.

Art Barr
breh
They knew their history with big men..KD was CLEARLY the much better player, even in college

don't agree with y'all, at all!

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
breh
They knew their history with big men..KD was CLEARLY the much better player, even in college

Oden was special breh.
Kd worked out becAuse there was an org trying to steal a franchise.
That wanted to send off the entire roster to steal an entire franchise.

Tbat sometimes i wonder.
Just would there be an okc team if portland takes kd instead.

Art Barr

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
If I had to make a conspiracy theory I would say the Pistons had a message from NBA to pick up draft bust so their team wouldn't become too strong :mjlol:

That's about the only explanation I can think of why Dumars picked bum ass darko when a fukking Melo, Bosh, Wade were available.

The only thing that saved Dumars was the lucky 04 championship where karl malone was hunting for mexican girls and Shaq did not get along with Kobe anymore. Not drafting Melo or the other two is why Pistons kept failing next years when realistically they coulda been #1 eastern squad until 08 Celtics, with more than one championship.

And Melo did co-exist really well with Billups in Denver, so...

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
breh

Greg oden was exactly what Portland needed (a rim protecting big man). Oden when healthy was easily a top 5 big man.

Last edited: