Why do Afrocentrists keep perpetuating the myth that blacks were in the Americas before Columbus

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
Kinda just debunked yourself with that one but I'll let you cook...

No I didn't stop trolling . It's as if my boys took a trip over the mountain by my house and never came back and years later someone said my boys were in Kentucky but with no evidence, no address in their name, no ones ever seen em,
thats the analogy

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
No I didn't stop trolling . It's as if my boys took a trip over the mountain by my house and never came back and years later someone said my boys were in Kentucky but with no evidence, no address in their name, no ones ever seen em,
thats the analogy

Oh so like they got five feet out and sank. It's getting late here.

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
Oh so like they got five feet out and sank. It's getting late here.

The story might not even be true but there's no need for Mali to set an expedition across unknown seas when everyone thought their world was from Africa to the Far East . The only reason Columbus accidentally wound up in the carribean was because he was trying to find a route to Asia because the ottomons blocked /or heavily taxed trade routes coming out of Europe. That's not a free market society . It's like If Asia stopped trading with us, America would be fukked. How do you think Spain was back then without trade ? That's why Columbus set sail

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens

I was referring to his broader claims in the book, mainly that the Olmec were influenced by an "egypto-nubian" culture who were responsible for teaching them everything from how to build, to how to cultivate crops. It's insulting garbage that you wouldn't tolerate if it were said about your people.

You do know "They Came Before Columbus" has a rather large bibliography right? You are doing your best to discredit a book you obviously didnt read. Van Sertima was pretty thorough with his sources but instead you'd rather read from a guy who knew a guy who said "thats bullshyt".
:dame:

And @GetInTheTruck I have read the criticisms that @Mess World posted, read them a while back. I also read "Early America Revisited" by Van Sertima and he addresses each and every criticism levied at him in your earlier post. Like @Peter Vecsey said you refuted nothing, you just posted a difference of opinion

So what? High school research papers bibliographies. This is your problem, your standards for scholarship are way too low.

Here's a question, if Van Sertima's research had any real merit, why haven't any of the recent advancements and breakthroughs in genetic analysis over the past several decades reinforced any of his claims? It's 2015 and you guys are still looking at the noses and hair of sculptures and using them as a launching pad to your fantasy land where world history and human civilization is reduced to a showdown between "blacks and cacs." Gtfoh here with that bullshyt.

Entrapta310

:umad?:
Daps
This is where math and science make a baby

The baby is black...don't ask me how :whoa:

i wanna be the godmother of that knowledgable baby :mjcry:

but seriously, i think about this a lot. imagine the continents pulling away at a rate of maybe half an inch every two days..... being pulled in different directions from the force of earthquakes, gravity. wave flows from boats.... etc etc
the mileage involved :wow:
5280 feet in one mile x by yearrrrrsssssss of movement = ?
makes you wonder if pangea was existent closer than they say it was. 200 million years it took to be the way it is today :mjlol:

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Codex_4.jpg

Codex_7.jpg

Codex_91.jpg

Codex_9.jpg
Codex_5.jpg
:ohhh:

PoPimp84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Back seat of a Caddy
I was referring to his broader claims in the book, mainly that the Olmec were influenced by an "egypto-nubian" culture who were responsible for teaching them everything from how to build, to how to cultivate crops. It's insulting garbage that you wouldn't tolerate if it were said about your people.

So what? High school research papers bibliographies. This is your problem, your standards for scholarship are way too low.

Here's a question, if Van Sertima's research had any real merit, why haven't any of the recent advancements and breakthroughs in genetic analysis over the past several decades reinforced any of his claims? It's 2015 and you guys are still looking at the noses and hair of sculptures and using them as a launching pad to your fantasy land where world history and human civilization is reduced to a showdown between "blacks and cacs." Gtfoh here with that bullshyt.

Like i said, you and OP dont even know what you are arguing against. Either you didnt read the book or had a ardent biased perspective while yall did because you are posting shyt this man never said. Those who acsribe to the theory and really study this subject made no claims that the natives were happless nitwits who couldnt tie their own shoes.

Show me once in the book where Van Sertima claims africans taught natives how to grow crops. You cant, he instead points to how certain crops that weren't indigenous to America but were grown in africa are found there during the supposed contact period. Show me in the book were he claimed the africans taught the natives how to build. Again you cant, he chose to write about the diffusionist theories that shows the influence africans had on how and why and structures like the pyramids and oblesks would be constructed in Precolumbian America.

Van Sertima was from Guyana, he himself was part macusi indian, he had no interest in shytting on natives to prop up africa.Olmecs, incas, and mayans delveloped great civilizations, only a fool would deny that. Dude had always maintained the claim that there was a confluence of cultures with african contact. Not one group cilivizing a group of savages. He repeatedly reinforces that claim throughout the book.

Regardless, saying africans influnced the natives does not belittle them. Every culture was influeced by ones that existed before it. That's no different than Egypts influence on Rome and Greece, the same as how Nubian culture influeced Egyptian culture. It is historical fact that cultures learn from other ones they are in contact with. It seems only to be an issue and denied when the african is in the role of teacher.

Last edited:

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
Like i said, you and OP dont even know what you are arguing against. Either you didnt read the book or had a ardent biased perspective while yall did because you are posting shyt this man never said. Those who acsribe to the theory and really study this subject made no claims that the natives were happless nitwits who couldnt tie their own shoes.

Show me once in the book where Van Sertima claims africans taught natives how to grow crops. You cant, he instead points to how certain crops that weren't indigenous to America but were grown in africa are found there during the supposed contact period. Show me in the book were he claimed the africans taught the natives how to build. Again you cant, he chose to write about the diffusionist theories that shows the influence africans had on how and why and structures like the pyramids and oblesks would be constructed in Precolumbian America.

Van Sertima was from Guyana, he himself was part macusi indian, he had no interest in shytting on natives to prop up africa.Olmecs, incas, and mayans delveloped great civilizations, only a fool would deny that. Dude had always maintained the claim that there was a confluence of cultures with african contact. Not one group cilivizing a group of savages. He repeatedly reinforces that claim throughout the book.

Regardless, saying africans influnced the natives does not belittle them. Every culture was influeced by ones that existed before it. That's no different than Egypts influence on Rome and Greece, the same as how Nubian culture influeced Egyptian culture. It is historical fact that cultures learn from other ones they are in contact with. It seems only to be an issue and denied when the african is in the role of teacher.

Dude no where in Spain do they mention Africans in the new world. Wouldn't every kid for the last 500 years know this because it would of been taught in school in Spain

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens

The link that @Mess World posted earlier in this thread deals with all of this. Van Sertima most certainly maintains that what we now consider to be Olmec civilization popped off after direct contact with Egypto-Nubians. I'm starting to question whether or not YOU'VE read the book. When people make the same claims about Arabs and Europeans influencing Africans people like you are quick to cry "CAC!," but when you try and do the same thing with indigenous american cultures (real ones) you dress your language up in an entirely different way, ie; here you call it a "confluence of cultures." Please.

Here is the link again just in case you missed it:

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/vansertima.pdf

I don't know what else you need.

Contact and cultural exchange between Egypt and Greece can be documented and verified. Same with Egyptians and Nubians. Contact with pre-colonial mesoamerican cultures cannot...not by any stretch of the imagination. It's true that these peoples developed great, and highly cultured civilizations, but they did so on their own, period. Not every culture on the planet necessarily had to be influenced by another, ethnocentric opportunists, African, European, Indian, Chinese, whatever need to just accept it move on. It's disgusting that people who may be legitimately interested in African history will be flooded with links to this type of garbage when attempting to do research.

I PM'ed a fairly popular poster here a while ago asking for some book recommendations on ancient Ethiopia, preferably pre-christian. He said he couldn't because he wasn't really aware of any. Why is it that it's so hard to find information on that, but right now there are over 10,000 sites online talking about bullshyt Africoid Olmec fantasies? I shouldn't have to tell you why that's absurd.

BTW, you didn't answer my question: why hasn't genetic evidence in the past several decades proven any of Van Sertima's claims to be correct?

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
You know you will get banned on history forums for even bringing that up unless that forum has a skeptics board

It's called trolling history

Dr. Sebi Jr.

Trust Me
Daps
Reppin
Not Technically a "Doctor"
I PM'ed a fairly popular poster here a while ago asking for some book recommendations on ancient Ethiopia, preferably pre-christian. He said he couldn't because he wasn't really aware of any. Why is it that it's so hard to find information on that, but right now there are over 10,000 sites online talking about bullshyt Africoid Olmec fantasies?
Because I insist that everything is part of a big CAC conspiracy to hide the TRUTH: Everything interesting from the past was BLACK. THEY do NOT want YOU to KNOW.